Extended Essay

Survival Robot

This is biology if you're focusing on the biological aspect of the treatment. If you're doing your extended essay in biology you don't need to talk about the chemical details and all this stuff. In your case, you just study the behaviour of the living organism when exposed to the herbs. They don't like it at all when you alternate between different subjects, so be sure to choose one and focus on it. I think biology is a lot more suitable for your topic.

Our school is allowing us to do our EE's on specific world issues.Its some new thingy..Well im from Kenya..My supervisor has suggested I selct an issue in my city and that it should also be a problem faced by others around the world.Any suggestions guys..Sorry I'm new here so don't really know stuff.. :o ..cheers

My topic is "The representation of events and character qualities through unnatural circumstances in Macbeth by William Shakespeare" as (partially) reccommended by my supervisor xP

I HAD wanted to do "A comparison of desirable characters in 19th century and contempary literature, in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight" or something along those lines, so I could talk about Mr Darcy and Edward Cullen (I'm a bit of a fangirl at times)

But my supervisor was like "hmmmm...." so I suggested Shakespeare and she was much happier. Kind of wishing I had stuck to that topic now though because Macbeth is getting to be a bit monotonous. It's good, I enjoy the play, but having to do an EE on it when I'm not totally obsessed with it has kind of tainted it for me I think. *sigh* You gotta do what you gotta do hey?

PS. First (possibly last) post on this website haha

hi everyone. I am starting my EE but I am having some trouble defining the topic and the research question

I chosed Anthropology and y like gender isues so muslim women seem a pretty good issue to talk about

do you thin: ''What are the consequences in muslim society for treating their women the way they do?'' a good research question.

do you think i will be able to find which these conequences are? or is it too hard to do so?

Please, I really need as much help as posibble

I did mine in History, more precisely on Napoleon Bonaparte and the development of nationalism in Europe. (What is called in French "Le mouvement des nationalités")

pixie:

About your EE question, i'm a bit concerned, "treating their women the way they do do" seems really vague and you might fall into ethnocentrism and judgement, it all depends on how you treat the subject. I would advise maybe focusing the question a bit more and maybe linking it to a direct anthropological concept such as social reproduction, gender division of labour, etc. A friend of mine did this and got a good predicted grade!

Furthermore, muslim society is far too vague, as society can vary a lot depending on the region. Maybe you could decide to study one group in particular ?

I wish you the best of luck !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I think the idea on Harry Potter would work IF s/he approaches it on a philosophical way. It would be very hard to impress IBO if it was written for literature.

It could definitely constitute a good philosophy topic, but make sure that it doesn't get to literature-ish. We spend one hour of a philosophy class discussing an episode in Harry Potter :D

I was wondering, are there certain topics within subjects that are outlined each year or something, for the EE?

I know how terrible I am at decision making, so figured it would be a good idea to begin researching stuff in the summer.

Actually, if the topics are open I already have a couple of ideas: the economic and/or social changes of the rise and fall of the Italian occupation in Libya (obviously it would have to be more specific...)

or, something to do with Islam. lol :P Maybe the analysis of sources of hadith, or something.

I wish I knew classical Arabic - it would be amazing/perfect to analyse some part/s of the Qur'an! That would probably fall under both history and language, though, so =/

I suppose you can't do a language, say, if your school doesn't, too?

Edited by Yasmeen

I was wondering, are there certain topics within subjects that are outlined each year or something, for the EE?

I know how terrible I am at decision making, so figured it would be a good idea to begin researching stuff in the summer.

Actually, if the topics are open I already have a couple of ideas: the economic and/or social changes of the rise and fall of the Italian occupation in Libya (obviously it would have to be more specific...)

or, something to do with Islam. lol :P Maybe the analysis of sources of hadith, or something.

I wish I knew classical Arabic - it would be amazing/perfect to analyse some part/s of the Qur'an! That would probably fall under both history and language, though, so =/

I suppose you can't do a language, say, if your school doesn't, too?

There are no outline topics; you can do whatever you want as long as you can fit it under one of the subject guidelines. The guidelines and marking criteria can be found here http://tedibextendedessay.wikispaces.com/file/view/Extended+essay+2009.pdf .

If you did Islam, you would have to choose which direction to approach it from. There is a subject called World Religions in IB, you could write an EE in Arabic on Arabic literature (although you said you don't know classical Arabic, so you can't) or you could analyze a historical event in Islamic history from a historical perspective, such as your Libyan occupation one.

And you can do an EE in a subject that your school doesn't offer. You just need to familiarize yourself with the vocabulary, theories and syllabus of that subject so that you meet the marking criteria.

Edited by Vvi
  • Like 1

I'm having an immense amount of trouble figuring out a topic for my EE,

but so far i have something in the Human Rights category,

To what extent is child labor in the fashion industry ethically correct?

Like.. in fashion, its ethical because clothes are produced cheaply to selll for higher profit, but morally child labor is completely unacceptable.

Or the media's affect (in reference to censorship) in causing crime rates/violence to increase..

I'm really interested in fashion design, visual arts and peace and conflict studies, but i genuinely cannnoooot come up with a decent topic:( So i'm not sure if either of those are okay?

I did a film EE. I didn't come across many for film essays, so I talked with my TOK teacher about what I should do. In the end I settled on analyzing Hitchcock's Psycho. My thesis was how Hitchcock created suspense within the film by using cinematography. By the end I had the whole movie memorized, including when the camera angle changed :P

• 3 weeks later...