Extended Essay

Survival Robot

mine is on chemistry HL....

question: "Is ethanol a more effective fuel than petrol? In addition, what effect will it have on the economy and the environment?"

i finished mine since mid-november...my supervisor said its anything between 32-36...i dunno how much tht is...

Extended essay grade boundaries are the same for all extended essay subjects. They were

set in May 1999, the first examination session of the current assessment scheme, and

have not been changed.

The bands are:

E: 0 - 8

D: 9 - 16

C: 17 - 24

B: 25 - 29

A: 30 - 36

So if you're predicted a 32-36, that's definitely an A.

Extended essay grade boundaries are the same for all extended essay subjects. They were

set in May 1999, the first examination session of the current assessment scheme, and

have not been changed.

The bands are:

E: 0 - 8

D: 9 - 16

C: 17 - 24

B: 25 - 29

A: 30 - 36

So if you're predicted a 32-36, that's definitely an A.

oh ok..cool.....thanks alot:D

Hey all :D

I'm doing my EE in English A1... Haven't gotten around to writing out a question though :)

I'm basically comparing decay and identity in Madame Bovary and The Scarlet Letter

Kinda worried though ... Finally started writing and the essay seems to be going well, but not sure if my ideas are too shallow...

Is it a bad thing if what you're arguing shows up on SparkNotes? lol, I kinda took it as an indicator that I need to be more creative... My Coordinator kinda gave me the idea of exploring identity and sin, but she doesn't quite know what I'm specifically writing about and I can't really talk to her until Christmas Break is over.

Advice? ^_^

alright, i thoought that i want to do my ee in biology

so i come up wif the idea of 'the awareness of thalassemia among malaysian'..

then when i found out that science subject should involve experiment i have become panickd..

because i'm not really good at handling experiment..that i admit

so what do ypu guys think of the topic?? is it a good one or not??

I did my Extended Essay on Computer Science. It was about using Cellular Automata models to simulate city traffic. I had to program an already existing model and then adapt it to simulate traffic in two lanes. I then analyzed which of the two simulations was better.

I got an A. =)

alrite, i thot that i want to do my ee in biology

then when i found out that science subject should involve experiment i hav bcum panickd..

cos i'm not really good at handling experiment..that i admit

so what do u guys think of the topic?? is it a gud one or not??

How are you going to test faulty hemoglobin in an experiment, lol.

OT: I am doing my E.E. on guppies, namely; "To what extent can a species of guppies maintain a broad sex ratio under varying temperature conditions?"

• 3 weeks later...

What a coincidence I just turned in my outline today for my essay!

Its going to be on psychology. The title is;

Anger: its physiological, psychological, and social effects.

I'm basically going to cover its physical effects (ulcers, blood pressure increase,) mental effects (depression, confusion,) and social effects (loneliness, aggression.) I'm actually excited to start because I'm interested in it!

I'm basically comparing decay and identity in Madame Bovary and The Scarlet Letter

Kinda worried though ... Finally started writing and the essay seems to be going well, but not sure if my ideas are too shallow...

Is it a bad thing if what you're arguing shows up on SparkNotes? lol, I kinda took it as an indicator that I need to be more creative... My Coordinator kinda gave me the idea of exploring identity and sin, but she doesn't quite know what I'm specifically writing about and I can't really talk to her until Christmas Break is over.

Advice? :(

Wow! I can't really comment on decay and identity in Madame Bovary since I've never read the book but I have read The Scarlett Letter and I think those are EXCELLENT things to comment on. It's definitely prevalent in the whole novel and comparing it with another would just make your essay even stronger. I wish I could read it once you finish! Anyways, I hope you do well in it because I have a feeling you will. However,I think that using your own ideas to support your thesis would be better--if your grader wanted to read Sparknotes' analysis they could just go to the website and read it off of there! So think in your own way because it just wows people to hear new ideas and theories about things.

Good luck!

My Research: Touch Screens

Topic: Current and Future Touch Screen Technology Impacting the Way Humans Interact With Computers

Subject: Information Technology in a Global Society

I haven't seen many ITGS topics out there, seeing this many people on the forums anyways. But yea, my research on touch screens was really fun, but because it's such a new piece of computing, finding sources was a huge pain. I just hope I get a good grade!

alrite, i thot that i want to do my ee in biology

then when i found out that science subject should involve experiment i hav bcum panickd..

cos i'm not really good at handling experiment..that i admit

so what do u guys think of the topic?? is it a gud one or not??

If you're not going to do an experiment, then I would say: most likely not. Sorry.

I'm doing my EE on how JK Rowling uses the names of characters to tell us about the character before we get any kind of description of them kind of thing. Even though it is a childrens novel this use of naming as a means of describing the characters and the thic references to roman and greek mythology struck me as interesting.... ie Sirius, Remus, Hermes etc.

What do you think?

I'm doing my EE on how JK Rowling uses the names of characters to tell us about the character before we get any kind of description of them kind of thing. Even though it is a childrens novel this use of naming as a means of describing the characters and the thic references to roman and greek mythology struck me as interesting.... ie Sirius, Remus, Hermes etc.

What do you think?

One of my classmates did the same thing, almost... But she was told to focus on one character only in order to narrow the topic down. Maybe something for you to have in mind. Then I also believe that HP EE:s are quite common, so be sure to find an interesting and unique enough angle!

One of my classmates did the same thing, almost... But she was told to focus on one character only in order to narrow the topic down. Maybe something for you to have in mind. Then I also believe that HP EE:s are quite common, so be sure to find an interesting and unique enough angle!

Thanks for the advice! I am thinking about either focusing on one character or relating to mythology instead. I had no idea HP was a common topic...I've never heard of anyone from around here using it...then again it is an international program

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing my EE in biology but are we allowed to experiment on human beings? I have a really interesting topic in mind. The experiment will involve drawing blood. Do you know anyone who experimented on human beings in biology? The IB guide says that if it does not involve pain or harm then it's okay. But I need to be 100% sure! Also, do we have to work in the school lab? Because the lab lacks a lot of equipments needed such as a good microscope. The maximum magnification we have is x400 which is not enough.

im in grade 11 and weve just started to be informed about our extended essays ... i was wanted to do something having to do with biology, and i was thinking maybe with DNA testing and the Romanovs/Anna Anderson (i know, its really broad still ...) but i was wondering if you need to actually carry out an experiment? because if you do then that topic wont really work ....

thanks

hey DNA surly seems a gr8 idea to move on with, on the other hand do u think about the criteria, do u think about those 4000words?

i think you should choose a general daily life issue that intrests you and link it to bio and research it,

i did the same thing, sitting in my mumz shop going through her products to find my EE topic and finally

fixed 3209 words without the conclusion on "therapeutic properties of wheatgrass on human body"

Farah Alibhai

I'm doing my EE in biology but are we allowed to experiment on human beings? I have a really interesting topic in mind. The experiment will involve drawing blood. Do you know anyone who experimented on human beings in biology? The IB guide says that if it does not involve pain or harm then it's okay. But I need to be 100% sure! Also, do we have to work in the school lab? Because the lab lacks a lot of equipments needed such as a good microscope. The maximum magnification we have is x400 which is not enough.

That's risky. What if something goes wrong? Drawing blood = pain btw so it's probably not allowed. Tests like measuring types of vision or whatever are fine but once you cross that line, no.

You don't have to work in the school lab but if you choose to do it at an university institution, you need the supervisor (prof) to write a letter of recommendation or something.

hey DNA surly seems a gr8 idea to move on with, on the other hand do u think about the criteria, do u think about those 4000words?

i think you should choose a general daily life issue that intrests you and link it to bio and research it,

i did the same thing, sitting in my mumz shop going through her products to find my EE topic and finally

fixed 3209 words without the conclusion on "therapeutic properties of wheatgrass on human body"

Farah Alibhai

okay, well ive just started thinking about ideas

thanks a lot!