Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Im thinking of doing mine on some historical having to do with physics

maybe on Galileo or telescopes, but Im not really sure... any ideas? even a little

push it the right direction would help...

edit

What if I did "to what extent did the telescope influence modern day science" then narrow it down as i research?

Edited by monster_face

Im thinking of doing mine on some historical having to do with physics

maybe on Galileo or telescopes, but Im not really sure... any ideas? even a little

push it the right direction would help...

edit

What if I did "to what extent did the telescope influence modern day science" then narrow it down as i research?

That's definitely better. From what I've heard IB wants the topic to be specific and include an individual perspective. The latter being the majority of what their looking for. But I'd suggest looking at the EE guide. I finally decided only a topic in Business and Management thanks to some of their examples and after a look at their rubric.

Good luck :D

I did mine in Philosophy.

"Is it ever acceptable for a physician to compromise autonomy and behave paternalistically in administering a placebo?"

Wow, that sounds interesting! Mine is "How legitimate is the view that the law does not apply to people neglected by society?"

Philosophy is really the best EE subject :P

if anyone can help? im doing my extended essay on vedic mathematics, ive got some topics (for example - history of vedic mathematics or the comparison b/w square roots in vedic maths. and the normal long division and estimation)

but any other topics would be fine too, and suggestions on these current ones would also help alot!

Mine is History, and my title i still in the making but it is about the causes/consequnces of the Falklands/Malvinas Crisis/War, my title will have so many slashes in it, that it will probably look ridiculous.

One of my friends is doing history and something about Florence Nightingale and her effect on nursing and medicine, another of my friiends is doing psychology and something about subcultures and group mentality in teenagers, another of my friends is doing English Lit and something about Chaucer and yet another of my friends is doing French and comparing the book Les Miserables and the stage show, I personally don't know how anyone can write an extended essay in a foreign language but then languages aren't my forte.

I've finally choosen a solid topic., but would like some feedback on its wording. What events led to the collapse of the Soviet Union? Thank for any help.

Too broad, and also too narrative. Pick a single event, such as one of the revolutions in one of the Eastern European satellites, and reword it in a way that is similar to "To what extent was ______ a major factor in the fall of the Soviet Union?"

• Like 1

I've finally choosen a solid topic., but would like some feedback on its wording. What events led to the collapse of the Soviet Union? Thank for any help.

Hmm.. why not also add East Germany into it? What events led to the collapse of the Soviet Union and East Germany and in what ways were these two events intertwined.

I think it adds a little personal touch to the topic.

• Like 2

I´d love to do mine on the EU or something related to its creation, is that considered to early history?

According to the IBO, history extended essays need to be about a topic that was at least 10 years ago, do you know when the EU was set up, if it was before 1999, which I think that it was, it should be ok. However it also depends on your supervisor, I nearly wasn't allowed to do the Falklands because of its recency despite the fact that it was 27 years ago.

Edited by Kez

According to the IBO, history extended essays need to be about a topic that was at least 10 years ago, do you know when the EU was set up, if it was before 1999, which I think that it was, it should be ok. However it also depends on your supervisor, I nearly wasn't allowed to do the Falklands because of its recency despite the fact that it was 27 years ago.

WTF??? Where have you lived your life? Of course the EU is more than 10 years old.

• Like 3

I'm around that stage where we have to start thinking of ideas for Extended Essays. I think that I want to do mine in Chemistry and am really interested in investigating something like the effectiveness of sunscreen - whether it actually becomes less potent over time (as the pharmaceutical industry tells us) or not. At the moment it's really just a broad idea, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it or could suggest a focussed way that I could approach the topic using a fairly simple method which could be done in a school laboratory?

I'm also not sure whether this might be one of those ambiguous topics that could fit into something like Physics (the absorption of UV rays??) as well. If so, should I steer clear?

• 2 weeks later...