Extended Essay

Survival Robot

According to the IBO, history extended essays need to be about a topic that was at least 10 years ago, do you know when the EU was set up, if it was before 1999, which I think that it was, it should be ok. However it also depends on your supervisor, I nearly wasn't allowed to do the Falklands because of its recency despite the fact that it was 27 years ago.

WTF??? Where have you lived your life? Of course the EU is more than 10 years old.

I was being sarcastic, sorry if that was above your head, I know the EU is more than 10 years old, I'm not stupid! And to answer your question I have lived my whole life in England, so I know all about the EU!

Edited by Kez
  • Like 1

I chose Art for my EE. My question is "Is Digital Painting replacing the Traditional Mediums?"

You think it's good enough?

Yes, your question sounds good. You should pick one or two modern artists that use digital painting as their medium and compare the development of digital painting in relation to that of traditional painting, its importance and relevance today (why is it needed?), how commonly used digital painting is and its advantages/disadvantages over traditional mediums. Examine current trends that are occurring in the art world (what style is in vogue right now?) Then conclude whether or not, based on your own research, traditional mediums have become a thing of the past, and have really been replaced by digital painting.

You need to define what exactly you mean by traditional medium in your introduction. Paint/pastels/charcoal and what else? And what qualifies as digital painting? Using Paint, Photoshop?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to IBSurvival.

I'm doing my EE on the subject of psychology, and this is the question I came up with so far: "To what extend is Animal-Assisted Therapy effective?" I don't think that's the best topic, so I was hoping to get some help. My advisor keeps telling me that my question will develop as I research. I just don't want to pick a bad topic and end up not getting a good grade.

AAT is defined as a type of therapy where an animal is incorporated to become a fundamental part of a person's treatment. It's used in a lot of aspects, the elderly, children with disabilities etc.

Any suggestions? My soul is seriously dying over here because of this EE.

Yes, your question sounds good. You should pick one or two modern artists that use digital painting as their medium and compare the development of digital painting in relation to that of traditional painting, its importance and relevance today (why is it needed?), how commonly used digital painting is and its advantages/disadvantages over traditional mediums. Examine current trends that are occurring in the art world (what style is in vogue right now?) Then conclude whether or not, based on your own research, traditional mediums have become a thing of the past, and have really been replaced by digital painting.

You need to define what exactly you mean by traditional medium in your introduction. Paint/pastels/charcoal and what else? And what qualifies as digital painting? Using Paint, Photoshop?

Thank you so much, you helped me focus a lot more on the topic, now my question changed to be "Could digital painting replace the traditional mediums of acrylics?" to be more specific : ) thanks.

Edited by Eji

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, my topic as of now is in History: To what extent was the decline of the Druids a direct result of Roman anti-Druid campaigning?

and I'm having quite a few issues with sources, primarily the fact that there are NO primary sources on the Druids. What should I do about this? Should I mention this in my essay, and will this fact lower the potential of my essay? I find the Druids to be a very interesting subject, but I'm worried about the extent of analysis I can actually do with this topic...

I wrote my EE in Psychology and, although writing your EE is extremely daunting you will be suprised how accomplished you feel when it is done.

CarrieC92, i agree with your supervisor on the topic front. My topic, when i was completely finished was "How can the correlation between schizophrenia and handedness be explored and/or explained?"

However when i first started writing it I was actually looking at criminology and left-handedness. Basically, when you start writing you will discover what suits better, what you have more evidence to support etc. Just make sure a. whatever you do decide is interesting to you, and b. you leave enough time to finish/change your mind :-)

good luck.

alright so I'm doing my EE in Spanish and the question of investigation is ¿En qué medida la Fundación del Estado para el Sistema Nacional de las Orquestas Juveniles e Infantiles de Venezuela (la FESNOJIV) es beneficiosa para los jóvenes pobres de Venezuela?"

basically I'm going to be talking about how this orchestra program betters the lives of young poor kids in Venezuela and how the program has spread all over the world.

I have my outline and abstract done so I'm just starting on the actual first draft that's due in a week :D

Crap, I can't change my topic, but it's not that it's bad, but there really isn't too many POV's on it

Philosophy: Explaining metaphysics using holographic theory.

Should it be a more argumentative paper? Like how it works and how it doesn't? right now its all just evidence showing how it works, kinda... narrative

Well your research question sounds very narrative at this point, especially considering that you are doing it in a subject heavily based on argument. Try something with "to what extent...", I know it's overused, but it works.

I definitely agree with this, you get really no marks for narration in your essay if you're doing Philosophy. They're MAJORLY after argument. Have you read the subject-specific guidelines? Make sure you do! You should also read all of the 50 Excellent Extended Essays - there are 4 for Philosophy, if you google them. Even a "to what extent" question might be difficult to present as argumentative if all you have is proofs with no disproofs! REALLY follow the official guidelines. It's the only way to hit the nail on the head with this one :blink:

"Evaluate the significance of the oppression of the Hungarian minority in Transylvania on the 1989 Romanian Revolution"

It was actually amazing to do, such a bizarre and out there topic that i knew nothing about so I learnt loads. My teacher reckons the problem most people have with a History EE is not having enough analysis, and most just kind of rattle off facts. I made sure I had a whole chapter devoted to straight analysis so I did good (so the teacher says).

i neeed help on picking my topic...

at the moment i have a specific case study on how commercial developement affects the creek that its built on...

but i'm having second thoughts due to the limited secondary data available...and the limited testing i can carry out...

i would really like to do my EE in Environmental systems and societies...as thats what i have a supervisor for...

can anyone please help with an interesting topic to do with that!?!!

i would be forever greatful!

My extended essay topic is in Art. I am analyzing the costume and set design of the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring scene depicting Rivendell and the elves. I had a great experience with this because I had the chance to interview a costume designer and Alan Lee, one of the two illustrators of the trilogy. How great is that?!

• 4 weeks later...

I STRONGLY suggest you do not write an EE that cannot be classified directly into a subject but merges over 2 subjects. They do penalise you heavily for it!! Make it so it irrefutably fits into a specific subject, just to be safe. IF the examiner decides your essay doesn't fit into the subject that it's categorised under then you lose a hell of a lot of marks. :D

How? Some EE subjects, like History and Political Thought, are bound to be similar. History would probably include a lot of political thought, so how do NOT make it interdisciplinary?

Mine is in English, and is along the lines of dysfunctional behaviour in two poems of T.S. Eliot and how this relates to the theme of loneliness in the poems.

Edit: How does T.S. Eliot use the motifs of dysfunction and abnormality to illustrate the loneliness and inadequacies of his characters in selected poems? (love song of j. alfred prufrock and rhapsody on a windy night)

Edited by laryxle