Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Hmmm. I'm kind of surprised that my research question didn't start with, "to what extent". I'm aware of just how much IB LOVES that phrasing. ^_^

Anyway, this is the official title of my essay: "Trapped between innocence and adulthood - examining innocence in The Catcher in the Rye". Yep.

Hey, newbie here that needs help on my EE topic,

I either want to do it in History or Bio, but i talked to my Bio teacher (also the IB coordinator for the school) and she said that it is prefered that when doing an EE in Bio, you would have to do an experiment. True? i dont want to turn it into another Group 4 project.

I had an idea for Bio, really vague, but i wanted to do something on twins.

For Histroy i have no idea, but i am interested in medieval History and Roman Histtory.

Its Basic (IB)

For my EE, I'm going to calculate the universal gravitational constant using two methods: an astronomical method, based in Kepler's equations related to his laws (observing the position of the planets in two different moments); and a reproduction of the Cavendish experiment. This experiment consists of measuring the attraction between four metallic spheres. Finally, I will compare both methods.

For the astronomical method, I'm going to take the data myself, using a 16" telescope and a CCD camera.

I will focus my EE in the experiments, but I think that the objective should be the comparison between both methods.

So, what do you think? Is this a suitable topic? I'm not too sure what to do...

Edited by GNRS

My school has not yet had a class graduate in the IB curriculum (I'll be part of the second class to go) and so I have absolutely no materials to reference or view--teachers are still figuring out the program so examples are limited.

I am an active musician with past exposure to music theory, however IB music is only avaliable to me Year 12.

Therefore I will not be able to use IB music to my benefit until it is *almost* too late, and that my school has a very basic program with no reference materials for my topic of interest.

I read the syllabus for the EE in music but I am still not quite sure I understand. Can anyone submit past titles of essays so I have an idea of the scope that they can cover? I love music, but the syllabus made everything seem very technical...probably hard to write 4000 words about.

Also, if anyone has advice they would like to give concerning the EE in music, I would love to know. It will help me determine which area to persue.

Also, if anyone has advice they would like to give concerning the EE in music, I would love to know. It will help me determine which area to persue.

I'd suggest not doing your EE in math if your school is not adequately resourced. It won't be worth it in the end. Even though you may find the topic interesting, the research fascinating, etc your final goal isn't to write a paper that'll make you happy, it's to write a paper that'll give you the most marks.

Anyway, I wrote my EE in biology because I liked the subject, but towards the end of writing, I absolutely hated my topic. It's put me off research and lab work (probably for a long, long time), and I don't think you want to develop this type of distaste for music as it seems to be such an integral part of you.

I'd suggest not doing your EE in math if your school is not adequately resourced. It won't be worth it in the end. Even though you may find the topic interesting, the research fascinating, etc your final goal isn't to write a paper that'll make you happy, it's to write a paper that'll give you the most marks.

Anyway, I wrote my EE in biology because I liked the subject, but towards the end of writing, I absolutely hated my topic. It's put me off research and lab work (probably for a long, long time), and I don't think you want to develop this type of distaste for music as it seems to be such an integral part of you.

You mean EE in music** not math, right?

Anw, I'm doing mine in biology too. I'm still searching for a topic. A lot of interesting stuff on my mind but the most important thing is to do an experiment too. Btw, do simple bio EE get As? Or does it have to be something new that few heard about?

hi everyone!! i'm new here and i'm also strating my EE which is due in a month but i haven't come with a good topic yet!!! i've already become panicking because i feel that everyday that passes i have less and less time left. i've been thinking of making it in ITGS but i have no idea which topic to choose!! can anybody help me please???

Hey guys[;. I have a few topics/ideas in mind, but I'm not quite sure if their appropriate topics. I might need to reword them to fit but yeah.

So I have in mind:

- The use of prophecy in Harry Potter and Macbeth

- The roles of social classes in Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice

Are those okay? I'm more interested in Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice, but I also like Macbeth and A Walk to Remember. I have no idea of any topics I can come up with A Walk to Remember. I also have this idea of a topic with Nietzsche's philosophy of the overman and tying it in with Voldemort but I don't know if I can even make that a legit topic or if it correctly falls into an English EE. Help?

Edited by Mkxxy

We had our first EE deadline on Friday, for submitting our subject and topic choices. It's just a preliminary sort of submission; everything will probably change later. No one really knew what to do/choose/write about, though.

My choices:

1st - Philosophy: moral relativism in Thomas Harris' 'Hannibal' series

2nd - English: determinism in Thomas Harris' 'Hannibal' series

Both are probably too broad, but should I narrow it down to one character, or one book?

Edited by yith

I have a few areas of interest in mind, but do not know in what ways to make it more specific. I am mainly interested in history of the 20th century. I have thought of doing something perhaps from the Cuban Revolution or the times after the Italian Republic was formed. Any ideas? Of course I am open to other ideas related to 20th century history of Latin & South America in addition to European history.

Hey guys[;. I have a few topics/ideas in mind, but I'm not quite sure if their appropriate topics. I might need to reword them to fit but yeah.

So I have in mind:

- The use of prophecy in Harry Potter and Macbeth

- The roles of social classes in Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice

Are those okay? I'm more interested in Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice, but I also like Macbeth and A Walk to Remember. I have no idea of any topics I can come up with A Walk to Remember. I also have this idea of a topic with Nietzsche's philosophy of the overman and tying it in with Voldemort but I don't know if I can even make that a legit topic or if it correctly falls into an English EE. Help?

I think the Harry Potter vs Macbeth one would be pretty cool, you just have to consider if you can get a big enough essay out of it before you start. As long as you have the data I'd say do it for sure, I just finished my EE on naming in Harry Potter and my teacher loved it.

I am doing:

- How feminism is used in the two novels, To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and Shakespeare's Wife by Germaine Greer [and how their periods differ..??]

...damn english... lol

but I'm having some trouble in writing it... like how to set the information out and how to integrate my own ideas...

Edited by raaarrrr

I am doing my EE in history. Namely: To what extent did espionage escalate tensions between the American and Soviet governments from 1955 to 1965?

It's a lot of fun...too bad there aren't many books on it. Many of the spy books tend to be biographies or fiction.

I am doing:

- How feminism is used in the two novels, To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and Shakespeare's Wife by Germaine Greer [and how their periods differ..??]

...damn english... lol

but I'm having some trouble in writing it... like how to set the information out and how to integrate my own ideas...

I am doing my EE in history. Namely: To what extent did espionage escalate tensions between the American and Soviet governments from 1955 to 1965?

It's a lot of fun...too bad there aren't many books on it. Many of the spy books tend to be biographies or fiction.

I love these topics! Very original, but like you mentioned hard. Get in touch with your feminine side. lol. no. Best of luck, really good.

These are all such original topics! I finished my Extended Essay only a few days ago, and chose an historical topic:

"For what reasons did the the Christian Right withdraw their initial support for Born-Again Christian Jimmy Carter to instead support ex-actor Ronald Reagan in the 1980 US presidential election?"

I finished it in 3917 words, which is really cutting it close. What is quite lamentable is the fact that I didn't even have the space to include all of the information I wanted! My IB Coordinator (who is also my History teacher and supervisor) really, really enjoyed it. I was very pleased. :D