Extended Essay

Survival Robot

hi, i started thinking bout what to do for my ee, but i am not too sure-

i have shorthened my list to either biology or philosophy.

For bio, i am thinking of doing plant hybernation. (biology is also my higher level)

And for philosophy, i am thinking of doing epistemology.

at a point i was sure that i was going to do bio, but when i talked to my older IB friends, they said they didnt do too well in a bio ee. so thats whats making me change my mind.

please reply, thanks in advance (any advice would be good, because i am really confused rite now! :D<3 )

• 2 weeks later...

I've just picked my topic about a week ago,

I was frantically trying to find books that had "literary meaning" that did not bore me to tears...

It drove me absolutely nuts.

I took a poll around my friends to see if Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) would have enough life meaning for me to do a 4000 word essay on.

Most of them told me to just go ask our scary librarian coordinator if it was okay, and I won't lie, I got pretty hopeful.

I love fantasy, and I would absolutely love my essay if I could do it on a good fantasy book.

However, I was sad to say my coordinator had rejected my Eragon interest...

I'm doing English A1,

and I ended up picking the Chyrsalids (one of my favourite books that actually has literary substance) and Brave New World.

The essay itself shouldn't be too hard to do, I'm just worried about making it my own and expressing myself in it.. :)

Edited by Aliaandraa

mine is kinda long, i needed some help to try and make it shorter, the topic is - "Comparison of the literature value of the optimum working temperature of Escherichia coli to the optimal temperature of the production of the enxyme Beta-galactosidase". Any help will be highly appreciated. Thnx in advance,

I am considering doing something based off of the works of Ayn Rand.

I would probably use the Fountainhead or the Fountainhead + the Anthem because those are the books that I have read from her works.

Possible focuses:

Individual versus the Society

How she imbued her disagreement with Communist ideals

How the views expressed were considered very conservative

I am not really all that sure on which focus would be the best to cover.

Also, does anybody know if I would be allowed to use her works as an EE topic, even though they have an essay scholarship contest for them?

Hey guys,

Im writing my EE in Bio, but my topic (and research question) is kind of something between Psych (Biological Perspective) and Bio, I think... and overall, Im not very sure it´s the right choice, what do you think?

"What is the effect on the artistic ability, a function of the right brain hemisphere, if a right handed person (someone with dominant left brain hemisphere) is forced to learn writing with their left hand for 30 minutes a day over a period of one month?"

There is also the problem that I didnt specify what kind of person is the subject. I was thinking that maybe, it would be better to compare 2 different people of different ages? For example a teenager and a pensioner?

Pleeease, any help :D ?

The hydrogen economy - opportunities, costs, barriers, and R&D needs. I'm not sure exactly how I will phrase the question to better fit the essay but I'm thinking something along the lines of: When will vehicular fuel cells achieve the durability, efficiency, cost, and performance needed to gain a meaningful share in the automotive market? :) But I have no idea how to get that in 4k words and make it convincing...

Is Bilbo's survival and safe return throughout The Hobbit due to individual choices made by those involved or is it fate that predetermines the end result?

I have the outline done at the moment and I should be doing the rough draft at this very moment, but I'm having some difficulties finding secondary sources.. any suggestions?

I was quite unfortunate with my EE topic, because the second I delivered the essay it was returned by the IB Coordinator saying it would get an E.

The reason for this was that together with my inexperienced subject teacher, we would focus on the Western world rather than Norway (my subject is Norwegian B).

The first topic and title was:

Beauty Idols: From Marilyn Monroe To Kate Moss.

How much have the beauty idols changed over a period of 50 years? Does the youth of today have to undergo cosmetic surgery in order to improve their self-esteem and self-confidence, and why has their been such a dramatic increase?

By the look of it, it would be a hard angle to tackle, yet I was able to manage. The reason for choosing the topic is that I will end up as a cosmetic surgeon (poor me), because I enjoy beauty above all. But when it was given in return, and also a new deadline for a new EE spanning two weeks, I was devastated. I arranged a new meeting with the subject teacher, despite the furious state, and we would come up with a new investigation/research and hopefully an acceptable end product.

We changed it into: "The increase of cosmetic surgery in Norway", and the final work was quite satisfactory, and everything executed in two bloody weeks.

I would advise almost everyone to actually talk with their subject teacher thoroughly when they are in the process, in order to not get a mix up like I unfortunately did.

Best of luck,

:P

this is the first year my school actually has the IB program meaning my graduating class is, unfortunately, the guinea pigs and therefore are not really sure how to tackle everything and/or anything.

also i am the ONLY one in 60 something students to pick a visual arts subject and as my school has no experience in judging what is a good subject or not i am just hoping for the best.

but now the due date is looming ahead and i am getting a tad bit worried, i need opinions, is:

"Sitting Pretty: Can Chairs be Considered Art? Analysis of Elements and Principles of Design and Architecture in Chairs."

a good subject?

this is the first year my school actually has the IB program meaning my graduating class is, unfortunately, the guinea pigs and therefore are not really sure how to tackle everything and/or anything.

also i am the ONLY one in 60 something students to pick a visual arts subject and as my school has no experience in judging what is a good subject or not i am just hoping for the best.

but now the due date is looming ahead and i am getting a tad bit worried, i need opinions, is:

"Sitting Pretty: Can Chairs be Considered Art? Analysis of Elements and Principles of Design and Architecture in Chairs."

a good subject?

Maybe narrow it down a bit... what types of chairs? Sounds really interesting though :P , even if I can't judge on whether it's a good topic or not.

I'm in IB1 and we got introduced to the EE's this week. We have more or less one month to choose what we are going to write about

I'm thinking of either Psychology,Chemistry or English Category 2(Culture/society)

I don't actually know exactly what I should write about in psychology. It's just that I find psychology very interesting.

In Chemistry, I want to write something that can be related to medicine/drugs but I don't know exactly what. Any suggestions?

The only subject that I have prepared a research question for is English and it's "To what extent did the language of the Hiphop culture affect American society?

I don't know if this research question is good enough. But I feel that since this is (right now) my only research question, I should stick to it.

Can anybody help me?

Edited by romice