How Small Are Your IB Classes?

LewieV

My college has 1600 students on 'academic courses' (A-Levels, GCSE resits and IB). 29 of us are IB first years. My individual class sizes are:

English A1 HL 12/14

French B SL 8

History HL 7/8

Biology HL 11

Maths SL 7

Anthropology SL 13

TOK 14

where I have two numbers, the first one is when we have the HL only lesson, and the second for the lessons which include the SL pupils. This is a big difference for me, at school every class had 30 and if I was in A Levels I would have 24 in the classes!

Edited by nmac94

• 2 weeks later...

Woahh. Well we're the first graduating class since our school opened up in 2007 and well, we were always the oldest/highest grade. Now we're down to 9 IB students including me: 8 diploma and 1 certificate. The smallest classes would be the Arabic, Chinese and German class which has one student each. For French B, I'm the only one doing HL out of 3 students. Most of my classes have 3 people in it XD.

We're a teeny group, really.

Well I think I can trump pretty much everyone in here with my Maths HL and my Physics HL classes.

Last year we started with 15 people in Maths HL by Christmas it was down to 5 and now in the second year it just me and my friend James. Yes that's right! Just the two of us haha

While in my Physics HL there are only 3 people including myself. We started out with 4 but 1 person dropped out.

Can anyone beat that?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on the class. In pre-IB, the class sizes are that of a regular class (20-30 students). After that, it depends on how many students were interested in taking that class. If there is enough interest for a particular IB course, there will be multiple classes for that course offered to keep class size down. Smaller class sizes are beneficial and preferable for IB courses whenever possible. In the second year of IB (grade 12 in Canada), most of the classes have less than 20 students. For instance, there are two IB English classes, one with 15 students and the other with 16 students. The less popular classes such as TOK or Physics generally have less than 10 students. My school does not have very many diploma students, generally less than 10. One year there was only 1.

There are about 60 students in IB (there are about 80 graduating on 2013, they are lot for my school standards).

We are divided by half in two homerooms. We take classes with people from the other IB homeroom though.

And the size of our classes depends... my smallest class is Psychology SL (we are 10). And my biggest class is English A2 (we are about twenty)

Well I think I can trump pretty much everyone in here with my Maths HL and my Physics HL classes.

Last year we started with 15 people in Maths HL by Christmas it was down to 5 and now in the second year it just me and my friend James. Yes that's right! Just the two of us haha

While in my Physics HL there are only 3 people including myself. We started out with 4 but 1 person dropped out.

Can anyone beat that?

Math HL- 1 Student...who is me.

Physics HL - There were 5 people.. Now there are 4.. 3 who actually show up to class.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 7 people in HL Math, only three are testing. I always feel a little down when I look at how large HL English and HL History are (roughly 40-60 students). The problem is that HL Math is hard to get into because the math track for high school is almost always set in sixth grade. Funny thing, though. I needed another HL class for the diploma, and my choice not to do an HL science allowed the coordinator to make an exemption for me so I could get into the class.

Not very many people at my school enjoy math. This is very saddening and slightly enraging.

Edited by Dinstruction