How Small Are Your IB Classes?

LewieV

There's actually a whole bunch of IB students in my school. However, there's more certificate takers than full IBers. And a lot of these certificate people are in some of my classes, like French, History, Physics and English.

But let's see...

French AB initio - 22 people

Math HL - 12 people

English A1 HL - 25 people (and that's just my section, there's like another 2 or 3)

History HL - 12 people

Physics SL - 13 people

ToK - 14 people

ITGS SL (one year only) - 6 people

But now I know an even smaller class lol...

Non-IB Computer Science - 3 people

Last year, almost my whole grade was taking IB (because it was compulsory haha :) ). That was about... 80 something people.

This year, we've been reduced to 31 (2 of which aren't taking the exams), and my Physics SL class is the smallest :heart:, with only 5 students (actually, we are 6 but one of us isn't taking the diploma).

• 4 weeks later...

CLASS OF 2010:

Grade 9: 30 kids.

Grade 12: 5 graduating students. 1 failed to get her certificate.

CLASS OF 2011:

Grade 9: 60 kids.

Grade 12: 25 kids.

CLASS OF 2012 (my class):

Grade 9: 90 kids.

Grade 10: 90 kids.

Grade 11: 42 kids.

CLASS OF 2013:

Grade 9: 120 kids.

Grade 10: 105 kids.

So as you can see, every year our program attendance has risen by significant amounts, and our graduates will rise in number. However, the drop out rates are still high as ever, in proportion to the original amount of students.

I love my smaller classes. Our 42 kids are divided into 3 classes, so there is about 15 kids each class. Each class tends to take the same subjects. We've gotten really close and have benefited from closer teaching due to smaller numbers. I know this sounds bad but I'm crossing my fingers that more students drop out so I can experience the one on one kind of teaching that I would never get in academic streams.

Edited by Miraine

How lucky you are ;) In 1 on 1, you are not able to have some rest during class sessions or miss any homework. Also you need to listen teacher's complains about life and show you are not get bored during those conversations.

I know how you feel....I have two subjects where I'm the only student.

our whole class makes up 7 students

We have 29 diploma candidates in IB12. Last year it was about 35, so only 6 or so dropped the diploma from the beginning of junior year. c/o 2010 only had 17 diploma candidates though, which I think was the lowest ever. '08 and '09 both had about 40.

All my actual classes are pretty big though, since for juniors and seniors IB classes pretty much are the honors classes, so anyone who wants to do honors in a class just takes the class and doesn't test. Also there's a lot of people who are doing most of the diploma, but didn't want to take a couple subjects, or do the EE. So yeah, most of my classes have 30+ students. Except HL math, because no one takes that for fun ;)

• 10 months later...

I have 48 students in my year doing IBDP. (Don't think there's any certificate kids.) The smallest class I've heard about is Philosophy (probably mixed with HL and SL because there are so little students) with 3 in their class, and I think Bahasa Malaya ab initio comes next with a class of ~4.

But for me personally it's:

English Lang&Lit HL: 8

Spanish B SL/HL: 6 (or 7 if a new kid comes back to school...)

Spanish HL: 3 <-- smallest of my classes

Biology SL: 8

Psychology HL/SL: 13 or 14 (but only 3, with myself included, take Psy SL!)

Maths SL: 15 or 16 <--- biggest class for me

Chemistry SL/HL: 10

Chemistry HL: 6

I think there's a maximum student capacity for my year (around 15 people?), and I'm so much more used to a class for 24. Small classes, I know.

Oh, and for TOK I have 13 students.

Edited by luz y sombra.

Wow. I don't have any very small classes. Well, some classes are small by my school district's standards.

SL Physics- 22

ToK- 55 (usually splits up into two groups)

HL History- 64 (a lecture setting combined of what would be two classes)

HL English A1- 30

HL/SL Spanish- 25 (I'm in HL but the class is a mix of HL and SL kids. There's another period of Spanish with the same mix)

SL Maths- 28

HL Biology- 30

There's about 87 kids in IB at my school. And they're all distributed everywhere. The SL and HL French classes were combined for a 45 person class for IB 2!