How Small Are Your IB Classes?

LewieV

My school merges non-IB and IB kids into the same class, except in English and History, so there's generally 30 people per class. As an explanation (since somebody might ask): in my province, you have to do the provincial curriculum. There are, luckily, commonalities between IB and non-IB curricula that we don't have to do that much extra work (I lie: we take one extra class for every single class except French and Maths), but since it's a smaller school, they just bunch everybody together. Most kids end up doing certificated courses in the sciences and maths anyways, so it makes no huge difference. It's just that sometimes the teacher will slip in a, "oh, by the way IB kids, you should know [this]. I won't ever test you on it, but it might be useful in the IB exam."

History and English are, of course, separate, since English/History are both HL (they group SL and HL kids together, and everybody learns the same thing, so you might as well take all 4 offered HL's) and they're much harder than the regular curriculum (no, it's not arrogance! IB kids take both IB and the provincial curriculum at the same time!).

Even ToK had non-diploma candidates in it; they enjoyed it, I suppose. The only real "IB" thing in our school that none of the non-IB's can take is EE, of course. This year we have ~20 DP candidates, but last year they had about half that, just to put things into perspective.

I am not quite sure how many people we have for every class, but the whole IB generation is of 84 people, and we are not an all IB school, we started being 135 but a lot of people were kicked out and some others droped during the past two years.. however the class with less people is itgs (we are like 12) and the class with the most people is hl biology (like 65, lol)

actually this has been the year which had been more students, the may 2011 generation were of like 70 people, and the may 2013 generation started being smaller because the council increased the standards for accepting people into IB

the problem of being such a big generation is that we had some problems when trying to make our biology experiments for the IAs, because we were too many people and the space in the lab is relatively smaller, so the woman that helps us with that was going crazy

True story, this year we're only 78. And, I've been there in the lab :B

And actually there are only 5 people in Biology SL, so it is the subject with less people... wait, I'm not quite sure if you are the girl I think you are and that I see every day at school.

Edited by fercho29

• 2 weeks later...

The kids in the year above me started out as 40-something, now they're 19..

My class started PDP with 30 kids, with two people joining that year and two people leaving + two moving + two gained = 28 would start the DP, I thought, but then we got four new kids all of a sudden and we were 32. Then people started dropping out, so now we're 24.

In Math Studies we're six students, which is the smallest class.. Biology HL was supposed to be two students, but subject changes have switched the roles so now four students have Bio SL while 10 or so have it at HL. The largest subject is probably Math SL which is 24 minus the 6 studies.

The PDP-class this year consists of 38 kids I think...

Edited by Sean Banan Janse