How Small Are Your IB Classes?

LewieV

First of all, I do not use desk. I use teacher's table and most of the time my teacher takes notes during teaching (One way or another she/he needs to write on something). I can drink coffee or eat some snack. It really helps you to understand every subject except math but it deletes your chance to forget your homework or sleep during the class.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! First post :)

Well, my classes are relatively small. My smallest being Math Studies with 4 students XD Overall my class has 19 students, IB Year One and it's the first time the IB program is introduced, my school has another system called CXC so the rest of the students of the school are interned in that unless they choose IB after their 5th year of CXC.

The smalled IB Class I know is Physics with 2 students.

Pretty small, I know :)

Edited by AnnieNer

In my school, the previous batch (graduated in May 2010) had only around 15 students or less. Cannot remember how many exactly. And there was only one student in Math HL class who was a genious (she got 42 out of 45 pts. Lost the 3 bonus points and got 7 for all the 6 subjects). It was really nice, the teacher can concentrate on teaching her alone and they finished the syllabus in time (sort of). She even chose the option by herself. She chose Discrete Math. And now my teacher is kind of forcing us to do discrete too o_o

I envy her. 1 on 1 class would be really nice!

My IB Class of 2011 in my school of 2000+ kids is about 27 students. So our pure IB classes are no more than 30 kids (includes certificate students). However, with the different groups, our classes are usually no more than ten-fifteen IB kids.

However, for instance; IB Physics HL and IB Biology HL are mixed with AP Physics B and AP Biology, respectively. So obviously the number increases.

I go to an IB only school that has been doing the IB program since the 70s, so it's a really well established school. We have about 47 in my grade altogether. Individual IB class sizes (note that many of our classes are mixed HL and SL):

Chemistry HL -- 4 (3 HL)

Visual Art HL -- 5 (3 HL)

Spanish B HL -- 4 (2 HL)

Math SL -- 12 (all SL)

History SL -- 16 (I'm the only SL in a class full of HL!)

English A1 SL -- 11 (all SL)

Out of curiosity, what is like for there to only be 1 student in a class? The number of juniors in IB are way larger than the numbers you are giving out, so I've never been in a class that only had a a few students. Does the teacher just directly try to explain everything to you, and is it easier to get help?

Latin SL=1 -One is pretty good, you get through everything really quickly and it is very easy to get help etc

Physics HL=2

LOL

Edited by Zirek

My classes are as follows:

english- around 20 people

economics- 7 people for SL, and 4 for HL

Environmental systems around 20

Maths- 14 i guess

art- 4 SL, and 3 for HL

and for some other:

drama- used to be 7 but now around 10

psychology- around 15,

chemistry- 2!!! they got rid of the classm cause it wasnt enough

english SL- 7 i think

I think in 10th grade we had somewhere around 200, 11th grade we DROPPED to like 70 (everyone dropped out of IB to avoid the two years, but stay at the school...), then the end of semester about 10 people failed out of IB and a few more dropped it, now we have 48 people total in our IB class.

Personal Classes

HL A1 English - 17

HL Chem - 5

HL Biology - 16ish

ToK - 15 I think

SL Physics - 6 (One isn't in IB because our SL Physics is also our AP Physics, both are two year courses, and both follow the same curriculum almost)

SL Math Studies - 27...

SL French - 13

I love my small classes ;)

Edited by Drake

• 2 weeks later...