Extended Essay

Survival Robot

I'm doing my EE in history. I know I want to do something on the use of psychological torture in military interrogations. I think I'm going to do "An investigation into the development of sensory deprivation as military torture and how it came to be."

Imput?

I'm doing my EE in history. I know I want to do something on the use of psychological torture in military interrogations. I think I'm going to do "An investigation into the development of sensory deprivation as military torture and how it came to be."

Imput?

For me, it's a bit too on the verge of going into Psychology, but I might be mistaken. I'd be cautious with it, though. Very much cautious.

• 2 weeks later...

HI. i need help regarding my extended essay and its urgent... please help me out. please... so

i am planning to do my extended essay in the subject economics and i wanted to do it on the company MKU which is a supplier of defence goods. The supply domestically and also export a large percentage of goods each year. They sell their goods through agents and also directly to the government. Additionally they participate in many tenders as well.

Now i am facing obstacles regarding what my research question can be. the most obvious and the only one that i can think of is determine the market structure that MKU works under. but i just wanted to know if someone can help me come up with a better topic and if not please help me by guiding me through on how to go about my EE.

PLease help me out. i am stuck.

You were the last person to post on this thread! (!!) and it's still on the front page! (!!!)

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm getting into the IB world next year (2012) ...and I'm thinking of doing mine in Psychology.

do you think its a good idea? I mean, I really like Psycho...but ive only taken psycho class for one week and I was in love with it.

I'm planning on writing about false memory, dreams, or dejavu. what do you think?

Hey guys I'm getting into the IB world next year (2012) ...and I'm thinking of doing mine in Psychology.

do you think its a good idea? I mean, I really like Psycho...but ive only taken psycho class for one week and I was in love with it.

I'm planning on writing about false memory, dreams, or dejavu. what do you think?

Umm, you've only been in your IB psychology class for like a week. Wait until you've been in your classes a little bit longer to decide which subject is best for you. You might find you don't like psychology at all and think a literature EE would be better. Plus you normally don't start on EEs until near the end of IB1 anyways.

Hi everybody!

I decided to do my EE in English B HL and i just came up with the topic and research question but the thing is im not sure whether those are good or bad...

could anyone put some comments on them?

thanks in advance

Topic: Language and its influence on communication.

Research question: To what extent do english loanwords and abbreviations influence communication via internet and mobile phone in polish society.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody. I was wondering whether is would be considered plagiarism if I based the structure of my Chem EE on one of the Excellent Extended Essays.

I really liked the way Ameera Patel structured the Table of Contents and divided each section, so I mimicked it in my Essay. Our topics are compeletely different, I was just wondering whether something as small as that would be considered plagiarism.

Thanks for any answers :bye:

Hi guys, i need help with my research question, so this is what i got so far:

How far does the ongoing globalisation of switzerland (Vaud in depth) will help it cope with a dependant ageing population?

Would you be able to give feedback on that? Possible alternatives?

I would get rid of the brackets and put it like "How far does the ongoing globalisation of Vaud, Switzerland..." You can still look at the situation of the whole of Switzerland even though it isn't stated in the RQ, given that your main focus is on Vaud. I think taking the brackets part off makes the question clearer and more focused, which is something that the markers will like.

And well, this is kind of nit-picking but I think the grammar of the RQ needs a little work. I know the markers aren't marking your English skills but I guess grammar mistakes in the RQ can affect the first impression negatively.

How far does the ongoing globalisation of switzerland (Vaud in depth) will help it cope with a dependant ageing population?

I would get rid of the brackets and put it like "How far does the ongoing globalisation of Vaud, Switzerland..." You can still look at the situation of the whole of Switzerland even though it isn't stated in the RQ, given that your main focus is on Vaud. I think taking the brackets part off makes the question clearer and more focused, which is something that the markers will like.

And well, this is kind of nit-picking but I think the grammar of the RQ needs a little work. I know the markers aren't marking your English skills but I guess grammar mistakes in the RQ can affect the first impression negatively.

So something like this : How far does the ongoing globalisation of Vaud, Switzerland will help sustain a fast growing dependant ageing population? =

So something like this : How far does the ongoing globalisation of Vaud, Switzerland will help sustain a fast growing dependant ageing population? =

The grammar is still off, I think. I would rather use: How far will the ongoing globalization of Vaud, Switzerland help sustain a fast-growing and ageing dependant population?

Hi, I'm working on my extended essay right now, and I have a topic, but I'm not sure what subject it's a part of. At first I was going to do it in biology, but now I'm not so sure.

Would an essay about the effects of differing pH levels on shelled organisms and how this would affect the shelled organisms in the future be a part of biology of environmental systems and societies?

Hi, I'm working on my extended essay right now, and I have a topic, but I'm not sure what subject it's a part of. At first I was going to do it in biology, but now I'm not so sure.

Would an essay about the effects of differing pH levels on shelled organisms and how this would affect the shelled organisms in the future be a part of biology of environmental systems and societies?

I have two concerns with your topic.

1. If you can't determine which subject it falls into, it probably isn't a good topic. EEs must fit 100% into ONE subject and one subject only, and essays that aren't usually tend to not do well because you're not really following subject-specific criteria by making it across multiple subjects (even if they're related subjects).

2. If you want to experiment on animals, most of the time it's not allowed. There are few cases where testing on animals is allowed, but you must be certain that there will be no pain or unnecessary stressed caused on the animals because the IBO doesn't like it when we hurt animals as part of research. If there is a risk of them getting injured or dying (as might happen in your experiment) generally you can't do it.

It would probably be best to change your topic. Decide now whether you'd like to do more of an ESS or biology EE (both have different requirements), and then come up with a topic that fits all the requirements of the subject. You can still do it on shelled organisms if you can make it fit your subject.

Also, it's already known that marine and aquatic animals thrive best in a certain pH range (oceans are slightly basic and have a typical pH of around 8ish or so at the surface and freshwater lakes/streams have a typical pH between 6 and 8) and going outside this range can cause harmful physical effects, and too much of a pH change will kill the animals and make them uninhabitable. That's why extremely salty, acidic, and basic areas of water don't support much life other than extremophile bacteria, algea, and birds (if there is access to land). So I don't really see what you would be testing, since raising your pH to something like 9 or lowering it to something like a 5 or 6 would kill any shelled animal in the water. Sorry, just had to throw that out there, I worked at a city aquarium for three years. :)

I have two concerns with your topic.

1. If you can't determine which subject it falls into, it probably isn't a good topic. EEs must fit 100% into ONE subject and one subject only, and essays that aren't usually tend to not do well because you're not really following subject-specific criteria by making it across multiple subjects (even if they're related subjects).

2. If you want to experiment on animals, most of the time it's not allowed. There are few cases where testing on animals is allowed, but you must be certain that there will be no pain or unnecessary stressed caused on the animals because the IBO doesn't like it when we hurt animals as part of research. If there is a risk of them getting injured or dying (as might happen in your experiment) generally you can't do it.

It would probably be best to change your topic. Decide now whether you'd like to do more of an ESS or biology EE (both have different requirements), and then come up with a topic that fits all the requirements of the subject. You can still do it on shelled organisms if you can make it fit your subject.

Also, it's already known that marine and aquatic animals thrive best in a certain pH range (oceans are slightly basic and have a typical pH of around 8ish or so at the surface and freshwater lakes/streams have a typical pH between 6 and 8) and going outside this range can cause harmful physical effects, and too much of a pH change will kill the animals and make them uninhabitable. That's why extremely salty, acidic, and basic areas of water don't support much life other than extremophile bacteria, algea, and birds (if there is access to land). So I don't really see what you would be testing, since raising your pH to something like 9 or lowering it to something like a 5 or 6 would kill any shelled animal in the water. Sorry, just had to throw that out there, I worked at a city aquarium for three years. :)

But I did an experiment on this, using just shells rather than actual live organisms, so I was thinking of using the data to support a larger idea.

What do you think of this question? To what extent with further increases in greenhouse gas concentrations devastate marine ecosystems? Or is this too braod?

Hi,

My extended essay topic is about the concentration of aluminium in instant noodles, in chemistry. I would want to compare different brands of noodles, and also look at the daily requirement uptake of aluminium but am afraid of a few things:

The method I would like to use is exactly like one of the 50 excellent essays, using a colorimeter, and examining the noodle soup content. Is this plagiarism, using the same lab method? I feel that the process is quite short too, as all I have to do is turn aluminium into a coloured complex ion and then use a colourimeter. Is it enough too? I want to do around 7 types of noodles. I do have another back up method to use, if it comes to it.

Also, I am afraid, that I want my essay to have kind of a purpose, a goal. Any suggestions on how I can further include analysis on?

Thanks.

Im doing a world studies paper, and since were the first graduating class that it has been introduced to there are no examples...

So anyway Im looking at wealth inequality as a global issue. My rough research question is: To what extent has the Occupy Movement raised awareness to the level of wealth inequality in Nova Scotia and has this awareness created a change in the midsets of the general workforce in the province.

Any suggestions on how I could refine this a bit more? Thanks.

Hey! Could you please help me with narrowing down my topic?

I'm doing my EE in Bio and I have done lots of experiments in lab during the summer to determine whether the values on 5 different breakfast cereal packages are exact. During experiments I learned quite a lot about the processes in breakfast cereal decomposing and processes. I was thinking of linking it with nutritional aspects of breakfast and determine which cereal suits the best for active schoolchildren.

But now it all seems to be too vague and simplistic... I still have lots of time to narrow it down to something specific in biology, or change somehow it to chemistry..

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you!!!