Extended Essay

Survival Robot

I'm doing mine on Biology ... I have a topic, not a structured research question though.. I'm investigating the effects of pollution on plants but I am supposed to get a narrower Topic :ateeq: , anyone doing it on bio + plants? .

Gosh, almost everyone is doing it on English. :guilty:

Edited by Shay

I'm doing mine on Biology ... I have a topic, not a structured research question though.. I'm investigating the effects of pollution on plants but I am supposed to get a narrower Topic :ateeq: , anyone doing it on bio + plants? .

Maybe you could look at how one or a few pollutants affect certain plants? For instance, how carbon dioxide or nitrogen oxides affect wood anemone (just an example). That would give you a much more focused and narrowed approach to the topic.

Your topic sounds very much like an Environmental Systems and Societies (ESS) project, though. Maybe you should consider changing the subject of your EE to ESS. You will most likely not have to change any procedures or much of your evaluation, but I suspect it would fit better within the ESS subject, as it deals with pollution and its effects (which is the core of ESS). I suggest you speak to your supervisor about this.

Anyhow, you should be aware of these two paragraphs in the EE guide (taken from the biology section, p. 34):

Some topics are unsuitable for investigation because of ethical issues. Investigations that are based on experiments

likely to inflict pain on, or cause unnecessary stress to, living organisms are not appropriate for submission.

Investigations that are likely to have a harmful effect on health (for example, culturing micro-organisms at or near

body temperature), or those which may involve access to, or publication of, confidential medical information, are

also not appropriate.

Some topics may be unsuitable for investigation because of safety issues. Experiments in which the student uses

toxic or dangerous chemicals, carcinogenic substances or radioactive materials should be avoided unless adequate

safety apparatus and qualified supervision are available. Other topics may be unsuitable because the outcome is

already well known and documented in standard textbooks.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ok so I know in my essay I will be discussing biological vs. socio-cultural aspects that lead to Borderline personality disorder. However, I'm not exactly sure how to formulate a good RQ out of this. Any help would be great...

Also, would it be a bad idea to discuss some of the things that BPD may lead to in the future such as alcoholism and drug abuse?

Maybe you could look at how one or a few pollutants affect certain plants? For instance, how carbon dioxide or nitrogen oxides affect wood anemone (just an example). That would give you a much more focused and narrowed approach to the topic.

Your topic sounds very much like an Environmental Systems and Societies (ESS) project, though. Maybe you should consider changing the subject of your EE to ESS. You will most likely not have to change any procedures or much of your evaluation, but I suspect it would fit better within the ESS subject, as it deals with pollution and its effects (which is the core of ESS). I suggest you speak to your supervisor about this.

Anyhow, you should be aware of these two paragraphs in the EE guide (taken from the biology section, p. 34):

Some topics are unsuitable for investigation because of ethical issues. Investigations that are based on experiments

likely to inflict pain on, or cause unnecessary stress to, living organisms are not appropriate for submission.

Investigations that are likely to have a harmful effect on health (for example, culturing micro-organisms at or near

body temperature), or those which may involve access to, or publication of, confidential medical information, are

also not appropriate.

Some topics may be unsuitable for investigation because of safety issues. Experiments in which the student uses

toxic or dangerous chemicals, carcinogenic substances or radioactive materials should be avoided unless adequate

safety apparatus and qualified supervision are available. Other topics may be unsuitable because the outcome is

already well known and documented in standard textbooks.

Good luck!

Thanks Alot :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am doing my EE on History > Tiananmen Square Incident 1989 >

To what extent was the Chinese Government’s censorship towards the Tiananmen Square Incident of 1989 responsible for the resulting change in America’s foreign policies towards China?

I'm wondering if the topic is too broad or narrow, any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't decided on a title yet, but for my Extended Essay I will be comparing "Hard Times" by Charles Dickens and "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell.

So far I have only had time to read "Hard Times", but I will soon read "North and South" so that I can actually start working on the essay. :P

Hello everybody, I am a new member of this forum, and I need help on my extended essay topic. I wish to do a comparison between Things Fall Apart and The Poisonwood Bible about cultural perspective but am in doubt of whether it will be sufficient enough to get me the marks. My school just became a IB School and I am part of their "guinea pig" crew for the term and am drastically overwhelmed by what I need to do. Please guide me. Thank you.

Hello everybody, I am a new member of this forum, and I need help on my extended essay topic. I wish to do a comparison between Things Fall Apart and The Poisonwood Bible about cultural perspective but am in doubt of whether it will be sufficient enough to get me the marks. My school just became a IB School and I am part of their "guinea pig" crew for the term and am drastically overwhelmed by what I need to do. Please guide me. Thank you.

Well, for starters, maybe you can start with elaborating further on what do you mean by "cultural perspective"?

Also, remember that if you're doing a Literature EE, it has to have a literary focus i.e. examine some aspect of the writing/author's intent/literary devices used/mood, etc.

Well, for starters, maybe you can start with elaborating further on what do you mean by "cultural perspective"?

Also, remember that if you're doing a Literature EE, it has to have a literary focus i.e. examine some aspect of the writing/author's intent/literary devices used/mood, etc.

Ah okay so I was thinking about comparing Nathan Price and his family's perspective on the natives to that of Okonkwo and the tribespeople on the white settlers. By "cultural perspective," I intend to elaborate on the extreme bias and opinions both sides(foreigners and natives) had on each other (i.e., Nathan Price was basically disgusted with the Congo natives and was ignorant to adapting to their customary methods and practices; Okonkwo resented the white settlers as he sees his once thriving society crumble as the foreigners destroy their traditions and beliefs).

Ah okay so I was thinking about comparing Nathan Price and his family's perspective on the natives to that of Okonkwo and the tribespeople on the white settlers. By "cultural perspective," I intend to elaborate on the extreme bias and opinions both sides(foreigners and natives) had on each other (i.e., Nathan Price was basically disgusted with the Congo natives and was ignorant to adapting to their customary methods and practices; Okonkwo resented the white settlers as he sees his once thriving society crumble as the foreigners destroy their traditions and beliefs).

That's actually a very interesting topic, I'm definitely intrigued and with the volume of English EE topics I've heard at this point, I can assure you that that doesn't happen often.

Perhaps phrase your Research Questions (RQ) on literary grounds though? Your RQ is to compare and contrast the cultural differences between natives and foreigners to a land in Books X and Y. Now maybe you can refine this further by specifying how you will be making this comparison.

Are you planning on focusing on the characterisation in these books? Allusions to cultural practices? Narrative voices? Dialogue? Descriptive imagery? Mood? A combination of two or more elements/devices? If you narrow down on which particular lens you will be using, that will be the final step and you can then construct a working RQ and begin outlining the essay effectively.

Edited by Arrowhead

That's actually a very interesting topic, I'm definitely intrigued and with the volume of English EE topics I've heard at this point, I can assure you that that doesn't happen often.

Perhaps phrase your Research Questions (RQ) on literary grounds though? Your RQ is to compare and contrast the cultural differences between natives and foreigners to a land in Books X and Y. Now maybe you can refine this further by specifying how you will be making this comparison.

Are you planning on focusing on the characterisation in these books? Allusions to cultural practices? Narrative voices? Dialogue? Descriptive imagery? Mood? A combination of two or more elements/devices? If you narrow down on which particular lens you will be using, that will be the final step and you can then construct a working RQ and begin outlining the essay effectively.

O my, thank you very much. Thinking about it, I am siding towards combining dialogue( even though the narrator of Things Fall Apart is Okonkow, the Poisonwood Bible does not reveal a narrative of Nathan Price) and perhaps descriptive imagery ( Nathan's description of the natives and Okonkwo's of the imperialist foreigners).

O my, thank you very much. Thinking about it, I am siding towards combining dialogue( even though the narrator of Things Fall Apart is Okonkow, the Poisonwood Bible does not reveal a narrative of Nathan Price) and perhaps descriptive imagery ( Nathan's description of the natives and Okonkwo's of the imperialist foreigners).

From what I remember of reading TFA for GCSE, Okonkwo isn't the narrator, it's told from the third person?

Is it true that I would have to write an extended essay for Biology if I wish to get into medicine? I'm worried that I haven't got any ideas for one yet, especially with experimentation...

No, that is not true. You could write your EE in history and still get into medicine. Universities tend to not care all that much about the EEs. However, if you write an excellent EE in biology, you could use it as an example of dedication and passion for the topic, which is a good thing to demonstrate. If you would prefer to write your EE in another subject, though, I'd say you should write your EE in that other subject. You usually have an easier time writing your EE in a subject you like.

From what I remember of reading TFA for GCSE, Okonkwo isn't the narrator, it's told from the third person?

Well on some parts yes, I was more referring to the areas in the book at introduce his thoughts and his excerpts.

• 2 weeks later...