Extended Essay

Survival Robot

when and how can i find out whether i am guilty because of malpractise?

Are you guilty of malpractice? :P Well I don't know your supervisor but he/she should have drilled you on that. Didn't you do your Viva Voce? If you knew your stuff, you've got nothing to worry about. If you're wondering about unintentional plagiarism, the only way to avoid it is to cite every little bit of information you used. It can't be helped that sometimes our wording is similar to others.

But if you did indeed performed some act of malpractice, then what does matter when you will know of it or not, officially? Sorry for not giving you a direct answer but I assume these topics must be privately discussed with your IB Coordinator. I suggest you try that :)

Guest CasaNova

no, no.. i am just curious :D

i mean i did not plagiarised anything haha.. i

i would kill myself if i find out on 6th of July that i unintentionaly plagiarised something

Can someone please suggest a topic for EE in art , most probably comparing to artist or any similarities in there work?

No.

Coming up with a research question is something that YOU are graded on. We cannot give you ideas. Go take a look in some art history textbooks and see if there are any artists that you like. Come up with a few ideas of what you would like to do. THEN we can give you feedback. But we will not be doing the work for you.

Oke! How about this for a BIOLOGY EE:

"Do the antibacterial properties of dog saliva make it a good acne treatment substance?" or "Can dog saliva stop the proliferation of acne causing bacteria?"

:D Eh?

I think I slightly favor the second one more just because it sounds like the EE will approach it more from a biological point of view than the first one. But I don't know if either of the questions aren't "open-ended" enough o.o

Edited by Edwina Wong

• 3 weeks later...

So I was going to do my EE over a music therapy like topic, but that fits into psychology and we don't allow that at my school. I'm completely lost and don't know what to do. Any wisdom or advice?

First, read the subject-specific guidelines for psychology and see what is required of a psychology EE. See if you can even handle this type of EE. If it's possible, you might be able to find a non-IB psychology teacher to mentor you, although I caution against this since they might not know what is required and if you don't take this subject, you might go off in the wrong direction and potentially fail your EE.

If you aren't allowed to do your EE in psychology, you'll have to find another subject to do it in, unfortunately. Your school's rules trump your own desires, no matter how hard you want to do a psychology EE. If that's the case, are there any other subjects you enjoy? History, English, a science, for example? Try thinking of other topics you might want to do.

So I was going to do my EE over a music therapy like topic, but that fits into psychology and we don't allow that at my school. I'm completely lost and don't know what to do. Any wisdom or advice?

I was in a similar situation with my EE topic being too much into psychology and it wasn't practical for me to continue it. If you open your mind to other possibilities in a subject that you are interested in furthering your studies in (because I'll assume this will be the subject you are most passionate for), then you'll like that topic just as much.

What is your subject choice? The first step is deciding your subject and then things will slowly fall into place :)

Hi, so my EE topic of choice is the contribution of social relations as a selection pressure to the evolution of human intelligence. It's expected to involve findings from evolutionary, social, and biological psychology, as well as cognitive neuroscience. I'm a bit worried, though, that my talk of evolution and the brain might end up being too much for the scorers. I personally find it hard to discuss the mind without extensive reference to biological processes, but I forsee that becoming a problem.

What is the line? How do I make sure my project isn't too interdisciplinary?

I was in a similar situation with my EE topic being too much into psychology and it wasn't practical for me to continue it. If you open your mind to other possibilities in a subject that you are interested in furthering your studies in (because I'll assume this will be the subject you are most passionate for), then you'll like that topic just as much.

What is your subject choice? The first step is deciding your subject and then things will slowly fall into place :)

I think I'll do it in hisory. There are two topics that interest me a little.

Why did Dan White assassinate Harey Milk?

Investigation of Marilyn Monroe’s death.

Hi!

I'm doing my EE in Psychology, and had what I thought would be a good RQ, however I'm beginning to think it's not very well formulated to fit into Psychology now...it''s "The Effect of Psychopaths in the Media on American Culture". I was going to approach it from a socio-cultural level of analysis. I'm just wondering if it would make more sense to fit it into another approach like cognitivism (such as how stereotypes affect cognitive development or something), because I don't think that based on that question I could answer it appropriately and with the relevant information.

This probably has to do with the fact that I have never taken IB Psychology (it's not offered at my school), but I'm fairly confident in my abilities to adapt and I already have a decent amount of previous knowledge from personal interest/research.

If this topic is actually ok in your opinion, please let me know if I'm just being overly critical!

Hi, so my EE topic of choice is the contribution of social relations as a selection pressure to the evolution of human intelligence. It's expected to involve findings from evolutionary, social, and biological psychology, as well as cognitive neuroscience. I'm a bit worried, though, that my talk of evolution and the brain might end up being too much for the scorers. I personally find it hard to discuss the mind without extensive reference to biological processes, but I forsee that becoming a problem.

What is the line? How do I make sure my project isn't too interdisciplinary?

For clarity's sake, what subject is your EE on? Can you fit everything you want to fit in 4000 words? If not, can you narrow the topic more? For example, narrowing it down to the effects of a single social relation rather than all that exists in mankind on human intelligence. Lastly, I strongly think you should approach your supervisor about your topic since he/she knows you and your capabilities best in accordance to this topic and how it would fit in to IB EE boundaries.

I think I'll do it in hisory. There are two topics that interest me a little.

Why did Dan White assassinate Harey Milk?

Investigation of Marilyn Monroe’s death.

Good luck! I wish I could provide assistance but I have no idea how history EE's should be conducted. :(

English B-My topic is about what's the difference of social life of students between Asia and North America?But i have not figured out what's the most correct question for my EE. Can anyone give me some advice?

Try looking at the information and research you have and see if you can come up with any similarities/differences between the groups and why that would be so. Then you could use that to come up with YOUR OWN research question. But we will not come up with one for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing History, and it's an investigation into the use of music as torture in military interrogations.

How are you exploring this historically, exactly? Like the development of this practice and how it came into prominence? I hope you separate it at all times from a psychological study, it would be quite easy to mix the two with this kind of topic.

I need help choosing a question! My subject is biology and I want to focus on something related to autism but I don't know what. My supervisor told me that biology essays usually get better grades if they're on experiments but I can't really perform much of an experiment on autism... I don't know, I wish I could do it as the topic of psychology but my school doesn't offer IB psychology.

I need help choosing a question! My subject is biology and I want to focus on something related to autism but I don't know what. My supervisor told me that biology essays usually get better grades if they're on experiments but I can't really perform much of an experiment on autism... I don't know, I wish I could do it as the topic of psychology but my school doesn't offer IB psychology.

I would caution against doing something that can't be classified directly into one subject. Also, as much as you want to do something on autism your supervisor is right and if you want a good grade on your EE, you will need to find something that you can experiment on. Research-based EEs that have no experiment usually score really low. Although you might not want to, I suggest that you start looking into other areas in biology that you can investigate because as your topic sits it really isn't a good topic. Surely there's other topics in biology that you can investigate. And we cannot come up with an idea for you as that is something that you're marked on, but we can always give feedback on ideas once you've come up with them :)