Extended Essay

Survival Robot

My topic is on the hemp industry in Canada but I'm having tremendous trouble narrowing it down. I asked my teacher for some help and from what he suggested I was thinking of some questions such as "What effects will decreased regulation of hemp oil production have on Canada's economy?" OR "What effects will the hemp textile industry have on other Canadian textile industries?"

Personally, I feel like these questions are decent but lacking in the right approach. I'm really interested in this topic but I can not, for the life of me, formulate a suitable question that can encompass certain economic concepts without sounding so general. Please help!

Edited by AceGreenly

• 2 weeks later...

My topic is on the hemp industry in Canada but I'm having tremendous trouble narrowing it down. I asked my teacher for some help and from what he suggested I was thinking of some questions such as "What effects will decreased regulation of hemp oil production have on Canada's economy?" OR "What effects will the hemp textile industry have on other Canadian textile industries?"

Personally, I feel like these questions are decent but lacking in the right approach. I'm really interested in this topic but I can not, for the life of me, formulate a suitable question that can encompass certain economic concepts without sounding so general. Please help!

I am rather inexperienced with this sort of thing, but I will try to contribute my two cents' worth:

• Imagine that you have the PERFECT essay title with the 'right approach', then write some specific key words that immediately, instinctively come to mind. e.g. regulation, ethics, law, debate, development, health etc. Then you could form your question around that. :)
  • I quite like the first suggestion: "What effects will decreased regulation of hemp oil production have on Canada's economy?" You could slightly modify it to make it sound better to you, perhaps by replacing some words with their antonyms like 'What effects will INCREASED regulation...', or 'How does the Canadian economy CAUSE decreased regulation of hemp oil?'
  • Interesting news and sources http://www.cbc.ca/ne...p-industry.html and http://hempnews.tv/
  • You want to narrow it down? Why not, for instance, write "What effects will the hemp textile industry have on [insert specific Canadian textile industry here]?" instead of making it too general using the word 'other'? :)
  • More narrowing down: How about specifying some analytical words like "What POSITIVE effects will decreased regulation of hemp oil production have on Canada's economy?" That will give it a strong personal voice and argument. :)
  • If you like to be innovative and entrepreneur-ish, pose a question for the future: 'How can we utilise/produce hemp in the future to maximise benefit for humans and the Canadian economy?' or 'How can we IMPROVE the amount and nature of hemp oil consumption to benefit the Canadian economy?'

Sorry about the lack of knowledge, I hope I could help!

Perhaps it would prove useful to ask an Economics student/graduate through messaging. :D

Message me if you would like to discuss it further. Good luck! :)

Edited by deidara

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I am doing my EE in Geography (which I take higher)

I want to look at the impact of tourism in Malta, so I was wondering, should my title be more like

''what are the impacts of the development of tourism in Malta in the last 20 years''?

or

''to what extent did the development of tourism in the last 20 years have an impact on Malta''

I am going to look at the socio-economic problems/benefits (jobs generated, population congestion, social pressure) and the environmental problems/benefits (financial contribution for the environment, pollution, overexploitation of resources)

and finally I will shortly look at eco-tourism and how it is a more sustainable form a tourism

and one last question: I know I should do field research, and I will be going there this summer (which is also why I picked Malta), but what exactly am I supposed to do? Interview the locals? It's not like they can provide statistics like an official government page can, and I can't really measure anything (what would I measure, how many degrees it is hot in summer? XD)

Hey guys, I've got a few ideas for my economics ee, could you tell me if they are any good, how I can make the Question better, how can I narrow it down and if I would be able to write 4000 words on it colondollar.gif

1) how have small businesses in Birmingham survived the economic recession? I would like to do this one as my father owns a small business, so i can get data from there, or could you formulate any other questions which I could include my fathers business in

2) to what extent should governments intervene in economic markets?

Thanks smile.png

Hey guys, I've got a few ideas for my economics ee, could you tell me if they are any good, how I can make the Question better, how can I narrow it down and if I would be able to write 4000 words on it colondollar.gif

1) how have small businesses in Birmingham survived the economic recession? I would like to do this one as my father owns a small business, so i can get data from there, or could you formulate any other questions which I could include my fathers business in

Thanks smile.png

Hi (:

Your first topic is good, the second is too narrow.

I'd prefer microeconomics :]

Has anyone done a Peace and Conflict ee? I'm wondering about the criteria, I have read the EE guide and in history the event must have occurred at least 10 years ago, but it does not say for Peace and Conflict. I personally cannot/am not taking the course but it interests me.

I was thinking of doing an essay on

1) Conflict over the Senkaka Islands between China and Japan, and possibly focus on the Senkaku Conflict and its effect on Sino-Japanese Relations (thing is the conflict is still going on...)

2) Conflict over the history of the Nanking Massacre and its lasting effects on Sino-Japanese Relations

But then you need an argument right, so I can relate it to causes of the conflict and some suggested solutions.

Any comments would be nice, thanks!

Hey guys, I've got a few ideas for my economics ee, could you tell me if they are any good, how I can make the Question better, how can I narrow it down and if I would be able to write 4000 words on it

Thanks ruaakharusi could you try and expand a bit more, do you think the question is ok and what can I use in it

Anyone else?

Anyone got any ideas, thanks

Or on the topic of oligopoly and monopolies, I want to research something. With media, ie is bskyb, virgin media, bt , to what extent is it an oligopoly, or research the market structure, against subscriptions online like netflixI am only in my first year of Ib economics and we haven't done much on this stuff or on supermarkets like morrisons tesco Asda wait rose sainsbury

Any ideas,

This topic is workable. In its current form it's too wide, but what's stopping you from making an economic analysis based solely on your dad's business and those of his competitors? You can have a nice analysis in a niche area and develop your analysis based on the most interesting facts you uncover.

Narrowing this topic could be something along the lines of: "To what extent does [Factor X] affect small businesses in the realm of [you dad's business] between 2008-2010?"

Just a thought and that ^ is just a suggestion of how you could possibly phrase it.

That's a terrible topic at the moment because it covers the entirety of Keynesian economics. Maybe, analyse the effect of a new government policy or commercial law on small businesses (like your dad's business) and whether it's helpful of harmful and to what extent?
Or on the topic of oligopoly and monopolies, I want to research something. With media, ie is bskyb, virgin media, bt , to what extent is it an oligopoly, or research the market structure, against subscriptions online like netflixI am only in my first year of Ib economics and we haven't done much on this stuff or on supermarkets like morrisons tesco Asda wait rose sainsbury Any ideas,
Sorry, we can't make up the topic for you, but if you post your ideas, etc., we can help frame them (like I tried to do above).

My sincere suggestion is to wait on doing your EE until the summer - when you've at least finished the Macroeconomics section of the syllabus - so your understanding of Economics begins to go beyond the basics.

Im planning to do mine on airlines, probably a certain airline route, from Muscat (Capital on Oman) to maybe London?

I don't know what to talk about though, or how my question should be structured.

Mine's on Micro Economics!

Help?!

Okay, well, you can't decide that one particular form of commerce is what you want to write about, and then have no idea what to do with it.

You're going about the process backwards. What you should ask yourself are the following questions in the outlined order:

(1) What area of microeconomics do I find particularly interesting?

(2) Why do I find this area interesting?

(3) What is a recent example of this area (preferably in the news - local or international)?

(4) How easily is information available/can I gain access to it?

Has anyone done a Peace and Conflict ee? I'm wondering about the criteria, I have read the EE guide and in history the event must have occurred at least 10 years ago, but it does not say for Peace and Conflict. I personally cannot/am not taking the course but it interests me.

I was thinking of doing an essay on

1) Conflict over the Senkaka Islands between China and Japan, and possibly focus on the Senkaku Conflict and its effect on Sino-Japanese Relations (thing is the conflict is still going on...)

2) Conflict over the history of the Nanking Massacre and its lasting effects on Sino-Japanese Relations

But then you need an argument right, so I can relate it to causes of the conflict and some suggested solutions.

Any comments would be nice, thanks!

It's generally discouraged to do an EE in a subject you're not taking in the IB, for a reason. I would talk to your EE supervisor/IB coordinator about this.

From what I've seen about your possible topics, the only reason you want to go down this route in this subject area is because you essentially want to write a History EE on an event that is less than 10 years old - so within an excluded subject area.

My sincere advice: find something else in a subject you're actually studying.

Edited by Arrowhead

QUOTED:

Okay, well, you can't decide that one particular form of commerce is what you want to write about, and then have no idea what to do with it.

You're going about the process backwards. What you should ask yourself are the following questions in the outlined order:

(1) What area of microeconomics do I find particularly interesting?

(2) Why do I find this area interesting?

(3) What is a recent example of this area (preferably in the news - local or international)?

(4) How easily is information available/can I gain access to it?

1- I find it all interesting, but I'm avoiding simple demand and supply diagrams, taxes and elasticity.

2- I like to be focused on one particular area, thats why I chose micro.

3- I chose airlines, because its interesting, although some other idea's were how a increase in subsidies in a certain industry affected their costs, sales etc.

4- Im hoping to do it originated in my own country, Oman, and information is easy to get anyways, so that isn't a problem.

I just can't figure out where to start/how to start/what to include. That stuff.

Thanks though!

Edited by RuaaKharusi

1- I find it all interesting, but I'm avoiding simple demand and supply diagrams, taxes and elasticity.

I just can't figure out where to start/how to start/what to include. That stuff.

Thanks though!

I don't think you fully grasped my point and I apologise for not elucidating it well.

"Microeconomics" is not an area that answers Q.1 of the 4 I set out above. Microeconomics is one of five sections (as you know). So while I'm sure you find all of it interesting, that's irrelevant, you have to pick one aspect of Microeconomics to research for your EE. So that could be: negative externalities of production or the detrimental effects of oligopolies in a collusive environment, etc.

What you've done is answered Q.3 (a recent example/case study) and are now trying to answer Qs.1 and 2, using this example, which is why you're struggling. The specific economic concept should correlate to choosing of the case study and not the other way around.

I hope that makes more sense.

Edited by Arrowhead

This topic is workable. In its current form it's too wide, but what's stopping you from making an economic analysis based solely on your dad's business and those of his competitors? You can have a nice analysis in a niche area and develop your analysis based on the most interesting facts you uncover.

Narrowing this topic could be something along the lines of: "To what extent does [Factor X] affect small businesses in the realm of [you dad's business] between 2008-2010?"

Just a thought and that ^ is just a suggestion of how you could possibly phrase it.

What type of area, would It matter, and what do you mean I have a niche area thanks :)

Or on the topic of oligopoly and monopolies, I want to research something. With media, ie is bskyb, virgin media, bt , to what extent is it an oligopoly, or research the market structure, against subscriptions online like netflixI am only in my first year of Ib economics and we haven't done much on this stuff or on supermarkets like morrisons tesco Asda wait rose sainsbury Any ideas,
Sorry, we can't make up the topic for you, but if you post your ideas, etc., we can help frame them (like I tried to do above).

How about to what extent is tv satellite subscriptions a oligopoly? Random idea and maybe linking either of them with theory of the firm? Aha and we have to come up with an idea by now even though its due in like next year

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if my post will apply now in this argument that's formed, but my English A EE topic was:

How does Rana Dasgupta use literary techniques to portray Ulrich’s journey towards self-realization in Solo?

Not entirely 'detailed' (past EEs at my school had titles that were 3 or 4 lines long) but I thought it'd do. :)
Let's see how the IB likes it. q.q

• Like 1

I'm going to do my EE in English B...it's going to be cultural rather than literal. I have not decided a specific research question yet. My supervisor said my topic's too broad.....so how can it be specific??????

There are several things you can do to narrow it down. You can pick a specific geographic area, such as the UK, Australia, the US, Canada instead of the entire anglophone world. Or you could look at specific areas within countries, such as the New England area of the US, southwestern England for the UK, etc. You could look at it from a specific time frame, such as the 1990s, 2003-2005, etc. If you're looking at things like magazines, maybe pick two or three different magazines to examine. Things like that. :)