Extended Essay

Survival Robot

I'm going to do my EE in English B...it's going to be cultural rather than literal. I have not decided a specific research question yet. My supervisor said my topic's too broad.....so how can it be specific??????

Hello~ I'm considering on doing an English B EE too! Are u taking English B HL? Cause I am, haha!

Mine is in history.

"To what extent was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in June 1914 a cause or

catalyst of World War I?"

That sounds absolutely terrible and achingly generic.

Try doing something non-WW1/WW2/Cold War-related. Maybe something from your national history.

Even if you love the history around WW1/2/Cold War, pick something that is less painfully obvious. Your current topic evinces, on the surface, that you had no good ideas and picked the first thing that popped into your mind. (Or at least that's what appears to me).

Arrowhead.

I'm going to do my EE in English B...it's going to be cultural rather than literal. I have not decided a specific research question yet. My supervisor said my topic's too broad.....so how can it be specific??????

There are several things you can do to narrow it down. You can pick a specific geographic area, such as the UK, Australia, the US, Canada instead of the entire anglophone world. Or you could look at specific areas within countries, such as the New England area of the US, southwestern England for the UK, etc. You could look at it from a specific time frame, such as the 1990s, 2003-2005, etc. If you're looking at things like magazines, maybe pick two or three different magazines to examine. Things like that. :)

thanks, this helps a lot~

Hello~ I'm considering on doing an English B EE too! Are u taking English B HL? Cause I am, haha!

Yeah~I'm taking English B HL...what's your EE research question?

I'm writing my EE in English A1 and my supervisor advised me to use the title "'Mad' or 'Bad'? A Study of Bertha Mason and Miss Havisham in Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and Charles Dickens' Great Expectations" however I'm worried that it's not specific enough. My essay is mainly focused upon setting's impact on their categorization as mad.

Is the title/question too vague? Should it be modified?

Edited by ViXen

Mine was in Biology and I did it 2 weeks before the deadline. Didnt turn out so well have a predicted of 17/36 however the question is very good its just that I did not have enough time. My question was:

Research question: “What is the effect of different concentration of calcium carbonate solution (10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, and 30%) on the percentage difference in the number of leaves and height of a Duranta erecta plant (Xcambocoché) over the period of eight days?”

I know I want to do my EE on Stockholm syndrome... any ideas?

Don't be lazy. We can't and won't come up with ideas for you. Pick a subject area (I imagine this could go under psychology or potentially literature as well, if you find novels that cover this) and think of some sort of research question, then we can help you more.

Edited by Emy Glau-ski

Mine's in Geography:
To what extent has the influx of urban Somali Refugees had a socio-cultural impact on Kenya during the last four years?

I'm hoping to interview loads of UN people, and maybe some of the refugees themselves! I'm worried that my question isn't specific enough and is too vague. Thoughts?

Edited by thirdculturekid

I am having major trouble deciding on my question topic, I know I want to do something with design technology and robotics but I cannot figure out an Ib question I can write on HELP

We cannot come up with a topic for you. You need to come up with it yourself, as it is something you are graded on. Go read the Extended Essay Guide for design technology to learn what types of questions are appropriate. Then go read articles, explore on the internet, talk to people, etc. to see what interests you, and from there you can formulate a question. Don't be lazy.

I have to decide till Tuesday on what topic from Biology I'm writting EE. As the teacher said one cannot experiment on verterbrate, so I would say that plants and worms left :/// and it seems to me very boring, although I frigured out some ideas about investigating the affect of nitrogen fertilizers on a plant. Investigating the influence of the factors on the growth of a plant is not very creative.

Could anyone advise me if I could do something (and what) with bacteria? That would be more interesting... Please help.

I have to decide till Tuesday on what topic from Biology I'm writting EE. As the teacher said one cannot experiment on verterbrate, so I would say that plants and worms left :/// and it seems to me very boring, although I frigured out some ideas about investigating the affect of nitrogen fertilizers on a plant. Investigating the influence of the factors on the growth of a plant is not very creative.

Could anyone advise me if I could do something (and what) with bacteria? That would be more interesting... Please help.

This is your EE, not ours, we cannot (and will not) think up a topic for you. That's your job, sorry.

As Gaby stated above, we can't think of a topic for you. Also, why do your EE in Biology if it seems very boring to you? Choose a subject that will be interesting and you will enjoy researching. Having interest in your topic will make your life so much more easier

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone!, so i have been thinking of doing my extended essay in physics, using hot air balloons as my topic; i want to look at the time that balloons of different volumes will take to climb a constant distance if the air inside them is heated up at the same rate. But i am worried because i don't know if i can get 4000 words with this topic, is too narrow? or too wide?

My topic is: How does the time taken by balloons of different volumes vary if to rise at a given distance if the air inside them is heated up at the same rate?

N.B: i am thinking of using thin plastic bags that i will be open ended and i am also confused on the shape that i should give the balloons so that i can calculate the volume without having too much trouble.

thank you!

Hey there everyone! :D

So I decided to write my EE in Visual Arts. But honestly I'm a bit lost. At first, I wanted to write about How genocide influenced the artworks of some Rwandan artists (1 or 2 artists). But it didn't fit me. So my teacher told me to look up the East African, Venise, and Syndey Biennale, and to look if I could compare them or something like that. But i still wasn't feeling that.

I really want to write my EE in Visual Arts, and I was thinking of maybe writing about street art.. THe rise in its popularity. Or something about how it was seen as a crime, and was stricly forbidden, and critisized. But now, we have even artists like Banksy, etc..

Could you guys help me please?

I am doing my extended essay in physics, i already have my topic and everything ready, but i dont have a clue about how to write my outline!

My EE mentor who's also my physics teacher is not of much help; so anyone with links or any resource that could help me write my outline?