Extended Essay

Survival Robot

So I had a topic picked and I was so excited I didn't really think about how much work it would be. I don't mind working but I already do so much. For my old topic I would of had to learn a whole new subject. I just don't have time to do this. I was thinking about doing something about history, the halocaust or something. But that seems to common to me. Any ideas on how I could make this my own?

So I had a topic picked and I was so excited I didn't really think about how much work it would be. I don't mind working but I already do so much. For my old topic I would of had to learn a whole new subject. I just don't have time to do this. I was thinking about doing something about history, the halocaust or something. But that seems to common to me. Any ideas on how I could make this my own?

You can definitely research the holocaust if you wanted to for your EE. However, you're going to have to narrow down your topic considerably since the holocaust is such a big topic! Are you interested in the causes? A smaller event that happened during it? Reactions to it? Results of it? How it influenced another event? A historical figure connected with the holocaust (Nazi officials, prisoners, Hitler, etc)? Think about what you like and see if you can make it unique. You'll have more fun that way.

You can definitely research the holocaust if you wanted to for your EE. However, you're going to have to narrow down your topic considerably since the holocaust is such a big topic! Are you interested in the causes? A smaller event that happened during it? Reactions to it? Results of it? How it influenced another event? A historical figure connected with the holocaust (Nazi officials, prisoners, Hitler, etc)? Think about what you like and see if you can make it unique. You'll have more fun that way.

So would something like Hitler's biography be a good topic? Or would writing about the reactions of the other countries or Hitler's reasoning be better?

So would something like Hitler's biography be a good topic? Or would writing about the reactions of the other countries or Hitler's reasoning be better?

Well a biography on Hitler would probably be bad. With history EE's you're supposed to choose an event/person/whatever and come up with an argument based around that and try to prove it, all while trying to be as analytical and supportive as you can. You can't be narrative, as you'll score low and IB doesn't like narrative accounts. Reactions could work, but you'll need to pick one or two countries and one or two ways they reacted. Hitler's reasoning also could work, but it would probably be too hard to analyze all of Hitler's reasons. Maybe try to pick one and say why it was the most important reason, or how this reasoning affected the German population, etc. Whatever you pick, you have to be narrow. 4,000 words seems like a lot, but once you actually start writing it isn't enough!

wow all the topics are so good and I'm still with nothing :(

I was thinking on doing my EE comparing and contrasting the way that it is expresses and propouse an utopia in the books "looking backwards" by Edward Bellamy and "looking forward" by jacque fresco.

but everyone tell me that it's a very cliche topic.

any ideas? I would really appreciate the help.

Biology: "To what extent would Pancreatectomy Patients tolerate a lack of lipids in their body?"

- does this sound scientific and biological enough? :D

It's definitely scientific but how would you test this? Bio EEs need an experiment to get a good grade.

I was thinking on doing my EE comparing and contrasting the way that it is expresses and propouse an utopia in the books "looking backwards" by Edward Bellamy and "looking forward" by jacque fresco.

I read through your other thread about your EE and utopian/dystopian novels are very common in EEs. I didn't read either of those books but is there another similarity between the two that you could focus on? I'm not dissuading the idea but it's a very common theme, can you be a little more unique in your approach?

(First post!)

My topic: Investigating the effects of varying Reynolds Number on the accuracy of Stokes' Law in Stokes Flow.

Dropping stone spheres in corn syrup, past photogates, for 2 weeks -- biggest headache of my life. I do NOT recommend fluid mechanics papers.

I didn't write the report in Microsoft Word, like I would with any other paper...I decided to do the whole thing with LaTeX (to improve ease of read and quality of document format), and it looks immeasurably better than it would with MS Word. Would that be a problem for when I submit it? Is it submission of hard copies to the IB, or is it digital? I'm worried that I just spent a very, very long time formatting this paper intricately when in reality I'm going to end up converting it all back into an inferior word processor.

I would assume that it must be a hard copy and not digitally. I've never heard of it being submitted in any other way than on paper. So I'm afraid you're going to have to convert it all back into a Word document, sorry. :( Is it possible to print it out from LaTeX without doing a conversion?

LaTeX is the perfect tool for advanced math of physics EE. However, it takes a while to understand how it works, but if you already do, good for you! You need to send you EE on paper. LaTeX files can be convert to PDF files (and that's the point of LaTeX, isn't it?), so just print the PDF copy. It'll be fine and professionnal-looking, so don't worry buddy! :)

I'm doing my EE in French on RSA Cryptography and prime numbers... I learned LaTeX on my own this summer, but realized that it was not the best tool for French EE. In fact, the accent are quite a pain in the a**. For example, é is replaced by \'{e}, and so on... I decided to download the LaTeX font (Computer Modern: CMU Serif) and change the margin a little on my Word document. It almost looks the same! But it's fake LaTeX haha! Whatever, I like it that way, and I'm waaaaay more efficient like that.

Biology: "To what extent would Pancreatectomy Patients tolerate a lack of lipids in their body?"

It's definitely scientific but how would you test this? Bio EEs need an experiment to get a good grade.

I read through your other thread about your EE and utopian/dystopian novels are very common in EEs. I didn't read either of those books but is there another similarity between the two that you could focus on? I'm not dissuading the idea but it's a very common theme, can you be a little more unique in your approach?

I was thinking, focus more on how it was conceived this idea of ​​an utopia, and define how society, technology, etc, of that period affect the whole concept of the authors, since one of these books was published about 100 years later each

but I'm starting to look for a new one, because it's seems taht this one it's not a very good topic

I was thinking, focus more on how it was conceived this idea of ​​an utopia, and define how society, technology, etc, of that period affect the whole concept of the authors, since one of these books was published about 100 years later each

but I'm starting to look for a new one, because it's seems taht this one it's not a very good topic

Well I'm not an expert on literature/language A1 or A2 EEs but if I'm not mistaken I thought the main idea of one had to be literary-based and not how the period affected the authors. But I could be wrong, feel free to correct me.

Are there any other novels you've read recently that you've liked or found interesting? Have you looked at poetry? Short stories? Plays? All can be done for a literature EE if you're having trouble with novels. :yes:

Well I'm not an expert on literature/language A1 or A2 EEs but if I'm not mistaken I thought the main idea of one had to be literary-based and not how the period affected the authors. But I could be wrong, feel free to correct me.

Are there any other novels you've read recently that you've liked or found interesting? Have you looked at poetry? Short stories? Plays? All can be done for a literature EE if you're having trouble with novels. :yes:

yes, I find very interesting all the oscar wilde short story's and novels, but Im not sure if his novels are very common on EEs

yes, I find very interesting all the oscar wilde short story's and novels, but Im not sure if his novels are very common on EEs

Well if you like Oscar Wilde you can certainly do your EE on one of his novels or short stories! I can almost guarantee you someone in the world will be doing an Oscar Wilde EE or has in the past, although from what I've seen on here it's not too common.

• Like 1

I want to do my EE in Chemistry. I would like to do it on something that has to do with comparing bottled water or soaps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? (but, don't advise me to do it on the effectiveness of different soaps on bacteria as someone in my class has already done that.)

Thanks

So today we had our "Introduction to IB" meeting for most of the day; in the meeting they discussed the Extended Essay and asked us to start thinking of possible research topics. I decided that I'm going to write my paper in either History or English. I began to brainstorm some questions and came up with "to what extent did Harvey MIlk influence modern human rights campaigns?". If you guys could possibly help me out with some suggestions and ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Mine is in History: "Why did Dan White assassinate Harvey Milk?"

I'm looking in to whether the assassination was politically or personally motivated. I'm almost done, I just need to cut down ~200 words, make a few minor edits and write my abstract.

I too am using Harvey Milk as the subject in my EE; where were some good sources for research, if you don't mind sharing.

Out of curiosity, is anyone doing their EE in World Studies? My EE coordinator told me it was a new subject area and looking through the requirements, it's definitely intriguing. Is World Studies even a class? I know that World Cultures was a mainstream course but then it reverted back to being just a school based syllabus course, but I'm not sure if World Studies is the same World Cultures.

Is it harder to score better on non-mainstream, school based syllabi subject areas (peace and conflict, politics, human rights, world religions, etc)? I was interested in doing one of these but since I'm so unfamiliar with their syllabi and it would be difficult to get assistance because so many people in general are unfamiliar with their syllabi, I had the fear I would get marked down.

Edited by christran