Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Mine is on the effectiveness of the United States government in controlling the AIDS epidemic of the nineties...but I'm considering changing it maybe to the media influence on government response...I don't know haha. Is anyone else writing the abstract after they finish the bulk of their paper?

That's exactly what I did, and what you're supposed to do for the EE.

At least for my school, anyways. I've seen the same method recommended for professional abstracts, even though some Uni's do it differently.

The abstract is done better if your able to contemplate on your essay, and tie it all together when you're done.

I'm thinking of writing my EE in History, something about the social or the economic (leaning towards social but not sure yet) impacts of the japanese occupation on the relations between the different cultures in the straits settlements/malaya.

does anyone have any suggestions? is it a good/bad topic?

help phrasing it please!

This essay is already making my head spin and I've barely started it. I know I want my subject to be Literature. I had originally thought I would do something on the theme of destructive love within Wuthering Heights and Romeo and Juliet but it just sounds so unoriginal that it worries me. Then I thought about doing something with Les Miserables. Something to do with the theme of injustice maybe? Having not read the book yet I only know the bare minimum of what it is about. Les Miserables is so long that I'm thinking I can do the essay on just that if I need to. I'm also trying to think of a book to compare Les Miserables just in case I need one but am coming up blank. Anyone have any suggestions for me? S'il vous plaît?

Hi, I'm only about a term through the IB, not sure doing it was the right choice, but that's another topic. Anyway, we've been told that we need to have registered our topic and question for the extended essay by mid December, and I was looking for a bit of advice.

I want to do it on Economics, as I enjoy it and am thinking about doing it at university. My idea at the moment would be something along the lines of "How and why did John Cowperthwaite's economic ideas and principles spread through Asia and Eastern Europe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_James_Cowperthwaite - gives a decent, very brief explanation of what he did. There are lots of other sites I could use for info by the way

I got the idea after watching "Britain's Trillion Pound Horror Story" a couple of weeks ago.

For those of you who are doing/have done the extended essay, does this seem like a decent title? Have you got any advice on how I could change it slightly, or if it's rubbish, could you suggest some other economics related titles, or a theme for one?

Having only studied economics for a term, I don't know a lot about the subject yet, but we're not writing it for quite a long time yet so that's not a problem.

If you're interested, these are my subjects: Higher: Economics, Maths, Chemistry. Standard: English, French, History

pancakeman123: Your idea sounds good! However (and I could be wrong) I think you need to narrow your topic question down. In your question you're eally asking two questions that each could fall into different EE topic areas. You're asking How his ideas spread and Why they did this. They are two drastically different questions. "How" could be a history or economics paper, while the "Why" could be psychology or cultural paper. You'll need to decide on a direction to take for your paper to be successful.

I'm looking at how slave tools (pickaxe, rowingboats, shovels) contributed to the development of jazz- why it swings, the chord tonalities, form, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

1. The extent of the media towards the relationship of homosexuality and AIDS pandemic from 1980s to present time.

2. How did the the US economy react to the rise of 'global warming'?

Suggestions and comments are needed please.

I'm going to submit my topic soon. Hopefully I can get started with the actual researching after getting it approved.

Hey, christinaisweird, those both sound like really interesting topics. But I think you need to narrow it down. Remember, IB wants you to go really in depth on something specific. Pick a specific aspect of one of those two topics to explore (for example, be more specific about "US Economy"). Also, what subject area are you looking at here? Remember, it HAS to fit in one subject area or you could lose a ton of points right off the bat, before they even look at your analysis. That said, I still think your topics are very interesting.

Hey, christinaisweird, those both sound like really interesting topics. But I think you need to narrow it down. Remember, IB wants you to go really in depth on something specific. Pick a specific aspect of one of those two topics to explore (for example, be more specific about "US Economy"). Also, what subject area are you looking at here? Remember, it HAS to fit in one subject area or you could lose a ton of points right off the bat, before they even look at your analysis. That said, I still think your topics are very interesting.

Thanks!

Actually on Friday, Dec. 17, I am turning in my EE topic to my TOK teacher and I am thinking of using #1 as my historical investigation if topic #2 works.

So basically #2 as my EE topic for economics (if my topic is correctly phrased), but when you mean being specific about the US economy, are you trying to say what part of the economy, like who/what/where was affected? Because as of right now US seems to be as narrow as I go, since I'm still not too sure of the effects myself.

If I am not being narrow enough, I suppose a business approach for certain companies and their marketing strategies for profit out of global warming seems to be as close as I can think of right now.

Or I was thinking of a comparison of certain US states, CA & NY. The BP oil spill and its economical effects. What do you think (or others' input are appreciated too)?

For the most part, the topic is a gray area because I want to take on a business or economic subject approach, but the 'global warming' part makes it sound very environmental. I feel like the BP oil spill can be expanded, but I am very limited towards my direction.

I would like some guidance on this because this all seems so contradictory.

Edited by christinaisweird

• 4 weeks later...

Won't type out the question verbatim because it needs some refinined but it's essentially a [minimally subjective :] analysis of Mac and Windows operating systems relative to mainstream computing. (which is defined for this case)

Computer Science.

Edited by Ktk

Okay, so I know I'm doing my EE in the Dramatic Arts... Do you think it would be okay if my topic was something like: The Effect of Commedia Dell'Arte on European Society and it's Role in Changing Drama ?

For you guys who don't know, Commedia Dell'Arte is generally just acting with a mask, but focuses heavily on physical comedy and archetypal characters.

It was in spanish, but the title goes like: "To what extent was the Afghan society the definite factor for the end of the 1979-1989 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan":

Obscure topic (yet one of the most interesting and important of the last 30 years) so I backed it with pretty much all afghan historiography translated to english, reports from journalists and even CIA files from the time. It was a crapload of work and I had to write it down in one week, but pretty rewarding. Nobody in my school will ever know more about the Kandahar massacre, the Salang pass by Kabul or the Pashtunistan issue. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to start with out EE next month or so. And I thought about writing an A1 English EE and I want my topic to be about; how Alice Sebold own experienced being raped influenced her writing. my resource would be the momoir she wrote about the incident and I've finished reading one of her books but I am afraid that my topic might be a bit controversial or plain bad. Any input?

• 3 weeks later...

Math- The Development of the Derivative. It's more like a math-history EE, I guess. And too late to change anything about it if it's not good >.> But the guide mentioned focusing on development of a certain branch of mathematics as an appropriate topic for a math EE so I guess it's fine, and nobody said anything about it not being ok...

Doing English A1,

-> Beauty, mythological allusions and musicality in William Blake's "Song (I Roam'd)", John Keats's "Ode On A Grecian Urn" and Percy Shelley's "Asia (From Prometheus Unbound)"

I'm looking at multiple texts but it isn't comparative. My advisor is freaking out because he really hasn't seen mine much. He's been trying to get me to interlace lit critic's opinions and interpretations through the paper. Right now it's just my interpretation, so the research aspect is really thin on the ground. I'm not sure if that's okay or not, and I'm getting scared. Our deadline is fast approaching.

Hope everyone's having better luck and have gotten theirs out of the way (:

We are going to start with out EE next month or so. And I thought about writing an A1 English EE and I want my topic to be about; how Alice Sebold own experienced being raped influenced her writing. my resource would be the momoir she wrote about the incident and I've finished reading one of her books but I am afraid that my topic might be a bit controversial or plain bad. Any input?

I was warned against incorporating biographic information/basing my essay on biography- I wanted to do Sylvia Plath; how her personal experiences (the death of her father, attempted suicides, polygamous husband) affected her writing of "Daddy" and "Lady Lazarus", but they made me change my topic. Talk to an advisor or coordinator first.