Extended Essay

Survival Robot

By the way, quick question: which font would it best to write in? And what size?

Thanks for the help.

Either Arial 11 or Times New Roman 12. Calibri is acceptable too I heard, but it's not recommended. Arial 11 is the best to use IMO. Don't forget 1.5 spacing! :)

:gluck::hug:

To not get off topic,

My EE topic is Lucas' Problem of Married Couples, on Mathematics. The problem is about sitting arrangement. There is this polygonal table and heterosexual couples are to be seated around that table. My variables are the number of couples to be seated, number of sides of the regular polygonal table, number of people that can be seated on each side of the table. My aim is to find the number of possible ways of seating them in such a way that men and women alternate and nobody sit next to their partner. I will also form a general statement connecting all the variables. My RQ is still in the forming process :)

• 3 weeks later...

im just starting with my EE and I want do it in English a2.. i want to do it in literature and i was thinking about comparing two novel (i still dont know which ones) and the social status of women...

im still doubting because i think this is a topic that is done frequently..

please help me with some suggestions fo books or topics.. =)

I did mine in Norwegian A1, and I analysed and compared the literary features that were used to bring out "identity crisis" as a topic in "Buddha of Suburbia" by Hanif Kureishi and "Maskeblomstfamilien" by Norwegian author Lars Saabye-Christensen. My supervisor has predicted me to an A, so I'm excited to see how the moderator(s) will like it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing mine about dystopia novels and the times they were written in. 'How do authors of dystopian works express their opinions and fears of their current world within what they are writing?' It's still in the research phases but it's coming along well. I'm using Brave New World (Aldous Huxley), The Garbage Collector (Ray Bradbury), and I'm in search for a poem or two, another short story, and literary criticism....

i m search of an extended essay topic in chemistry mainly related to pH, acidity and all.......

You could do something on acid rain maybe. You could test the different components of the rain and see what's more destructive with some rate equations. Figure the pH of the components and how that affects things. Reactions with varying metals found in buildings could be discussed as well to tie in some worldly aspects.

Just an idea...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing my EE in History, and I was having quite a bit of trouble coming up with a topic. I love the Middle Ages, and have been interested in it since I was little. But, well, so much has been written about the medieval times by scholars and whatnot. I wanted to keep it original, so I thought about doing something on Brazilian history (as I'm from Brazil) because it'd certainly be more creative and unusual. Howeeeever, I was talking to my advisor and he made me realize that I should do my EE on a subject I love. If I feel nothing less than love towards my topic, I won't be able to spend months writing and rewriting it. So I chose to write about the Middle Ages, and now my topic is something along the lines of "To what extent is Robin Hood a myth?" (:

Hi, so i need help narrowing down my EE topic.

Im korean but moved to the US when i was about 9 years old.

I felt like I should know more about the Korean language and like the history of it?

So far, my research question is "the influences on and history of the Korean language" ?

should i like choose a time period in history of korean language?

or should i do more on the influences on the korean language? like maybe chinese or japanese?

which topic will i have more to write about for my EE?

please help!

I felt like I should know more about the Korean language and like the history of it?

So far, my research question is "the influences on and history of the Korean language" ?

or should i do more on the influences on the korean language? like maybe chinese or japanese?

please help!

Its way too broad!! Even if you try to specify a time period it is still too broad. What kind of influence are you thinking about and more importantly what IB subject would you register your extended essay under? I strongly recommend reconsidering your current topic/path.

please help!

Its way too broad!! Even if you try to specify a time period it is still too broad. What kind of influence are you thinking about and more importantly what IB subject would you register your extended essay under? I strongly recommend reconsidering your current topic/path.

Ah thanks for the honest answer! Well ive realized that topic was way too broad so i was scoping out for new topics and came up with a couple. do you mind helping me choose?

my first one would be in the world religions (i believe) and about the ashrams in india / hinduism and the gurus. would the "role of gurus in the hindu society" work? or how can i come up with a statement that would allow me to learn more about the gurus and the ashrams in india and maybe their religious rituals or their history?

please help!

Ah thanks for the honest answer! Well ive realized that topic was way too broad so i was scoping out for new topics and came up with a couple. do you mind helping me choose?

my first one would be in the world religions (i believe) and about the ashrams in india / hinduism and the gurus. would the "role of gurus in the hindu society" work? or how can i come up with a statement that would allow me to learn more about the gurus and the ashrams in india and maybe their religious rituals or their history?

No problem. The current phrasing is still a broad topic (unless its just a preliminary thought). If you are not already aware you should be formulating a research question rather than a statement. Take a look at the extended essay guide published by IB (and in it look at World Religions) - it should be on Ibsurvival. You can work with your current idea to further develop a good research question. Keep in mind the purpose of your essay should not be to just summarize a whole bunch of sources. I would also take a look at the World Religions syllabus to give you more ideas on topics to explore (eg. in regards to Hinduism). Here is an example of a good extended essay in World Religions: http://yayoi.senri.ed.jp/OIS/IBDP/EEexemplars/NewExemplars50/World%20Religion_2.pdf

please help!

No problem. The current phrasing is still a broad topic (unless its just a preliminary thought). If you are not already aware you should be formulating a research question rather than a statement. Take a look at the extended essay guide published by IB (and in it look at World Religions) - it should be on Ibsurvival. You can work with your current idea to further develop a good research question. Keep in mind the purpose of your essay should not be to just summarize a whole bunch of sources. I would also take a look at the World Religions syllabus to give you more ideas on topics to explore (eg. in regards to Hinduism). Here is an example of a good extended essay in World Religions: http://yayoi.senri.ed.jp/OIS/IBDP/EEexemplars/NewExemplars50/World%20Religion_2.pdf

Yeah it was a preliminary thought. Our IB program at our school is not as organized so the instructors havent really given us what to do with topics so i dont know what to do! ): yeah i just looked at the ib guide for world religions. It says "The most successful essays generally focus on the analysis or interpretation of a particular religious text, image, ritual or practice, or examine the significance of a well-defined concept in a particular religious tradition. Some examples of this could include the following." so it sounds pretty straightforward and if i do this topic in world religions i would analyze the rituals of hinduism? how can i narrow this down? the example topics they give us are also pretty broad, ill attach a link: http://production-app2.ibo.org/publication/19/part/4/chapter/27

thank you so much for helping btw!

I have not done World Religions so whatever I say is speculation based on what I know of EEs in general. You could find one or two specific rituals and look at/compare a certain aspect? Do some background research on the topics that come to mind and then try to formulate a research question perhaps. You may even want to consider comparing 2 religions on a specific aspect. Sometimes a good way to start a research question is to use "To what extent...." for example - "To what extent can Hinduism be considered polytheistic?"...etc. If your school doesn't seem fully equipped in helping you yet then stick with the EE guide - especially in regards to the marking criterion.