Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Hey!

I'm doing my EE in history, and my topic's German intervention in the Spanish Civil War. I think my title will be something like this, although it's prone to change! "Did German military support of Francisco Franco in the Spanish Civil War directly contribute to the Nationalists' victory?"

What do you think? Should I narrow the research question further?

Dude, that's like almost my question exactly....except I included Italy's contribution in my discussion as well. And since mine was approved, I'm sure yours is fine as well. By the way although I already posted it mine's "To what extent was the victory of Franco and the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War the result of foreign aid from Hitler and Mussolini?"

• 2 weeks later...

yoo guyss i need help, im starting year 13 (IB2) in september 2011, and i already got my Extended Essay title.... its on Economics and the title is "How have the prices of oil affected the economy of Russia and in particular Lukoil?" i was told that it is a really good extended essay title... is it??? and i think i am procrastinating a little :/ help outt :)

Right so the EE im doing my EE in ITGS:

Why choose cloud computing in a corporate environment?

So talking about cloud computing an introduction...the application....the advantages...the security issues....and to conclude: Why its good for corporations...

Mine's a work in progress. It's: An exploration of the attitudes towards the concepts of marriage and family in Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest.

Any thoughts or comments would really be appreciated. :)

Hi,

I just finished my EE on Oscar Wilde, my RQ was To what extent and with what effects does Oscar Wilde use satire as a literary and dramatic device in his works?

Wilde is great to talk about and i'd say Earnest has a lot on marriage, like Lady Bracknell's interrogation, how Algy and Cecily get engaged so quickly. The whole mixup between Gweondolyn and Cecily thinking they're both marrying Earnest Worthing, how that leads to tense afternoon tea. Great stuff, not that relevant to my topic but relevant to yours!

Another play that deals with marriage & family is Lady Windermere's Fan, if you want/need to expand or something,

I bet you've started your essay now your post was from April lol thought i'd reply anyway!

Hi guys! I'm so confusse I dont know how subject take for my EE I'm from IB 2012 Hepl me! I start at September

I am totally confused as well :/ I am planning to do my EE in Spanish but I am not sure what to focus my essay on. Can I do a comparison like WL1? Is it okay to analyze one book by one author or is it better to analyze two books under one theme/technique...etc?? Soooo confused...help? Im from class of 2012 too and totally freaking out! BTW have u tried to talk to your mentor? Maybe try to focus on a subject: music, history, science...? Maybe that will help you narrow down your options and then you can start organizing your ideas. I got that far and now I'm stuck :/

Maria Valentina try this thread: for choosing a topic

Alethia is this for Spanish A1? If so, you can do that. You basically have: A) Compare 2+ books on a theme/technique/etc. or B) Analyze one book in detail on a theme/technique/etc. Either way at least one book must have been originally written in Spanish. If you use only one book it must have been originally written in that A1 language. If Spanish A2/B you can do this under the literature option, similar to how you would do it for A1.

I'm doing mine in English on 'The fifth child' by Doris Lessing and 'We need to talk about Kevin' by lionel shriver. Title:How a mother's nurturing of her child from birth until adulthood can lead to the mothers own ultimate alienation in The Fifth Child and We Need to Talk About Kevin :)

So I'm doing a English EE on a Canadian novel called The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler. My topic is: The role of materialism towards a character’s disregard for morality in Mordecai Richler’s The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. How does that sound? Too simple?

My topic is: Compare the effects of the Home Front on societies of Germany and USA during and immediately after the World War II. I've started the investigation these days, and I have a feeling it is too wide..does anyone have any ideas about how I could narrow it down? :angel:

My topic is: Compare the effects of the Home Front on societies of Germany and USA during and immediately after the World War II. I've started the investigation these days, and I have a feeling it is too wide..does anyone have any ideas about how I could narrow it down? :angel:

If you feel it is too wide, maybe you could focus on either Germany OR the USA instead of both countries. Or you could limit it to only during the war or only immediately afterwards. Just a few suggestions.

• Like 1

Want to share the title of your extended essay?

Or perhaps need help choosing one?

This is the place.

Psychology - The Psychology of Road Rage: A discussion of psychological explanations of road rage and policy implications.

Mine is in Philosophy, discussing J.S. Mill's "harm principle" in terms of drugs... so if say someone liked to smoke weed, and they did it on their own, in a private place, and it didn't affect anyone else - then can we really say that's wrong? The harm principle says that we can only intervene with the actions of a minority, or an individual, if it is harming the majority. So, a person can basically do anything he wishes, as long as his actions do not harm others.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

It would be appreciated :)

• Like 1

(First post!)

My topic: Investigating the effects of varying Reynolds Number on the accuracy of Stokes' Law in Stokes Flow.

Dropping stone spheres in corn syrup, past photogates, for 2 weeks -- biggest headache of my life. I do NOT recommend fluid mechanics papers.

I didn't write the report in Microsoft Word, like I would with any other paper...I decided to do the whole thing with LaTeX (to improve ease of read and quality of document format), and it looks immeasurably better than it would with MS Word. Would that be a problem for when I submit it? Is it submission of hard copies to the IB, or is it digital? I'm worried that I just spent a very, very long time formatting this paper intricately when in reality I'm going to end up converting it all back into an inferior word processor.

(First post!)

My topic: Investigating the effects of varying Reynolds Number on the accuracy of Stokes' Law in Stokes Flow.

Dropping stone spheres in corn syrup, past photogates, for 2 weeks -- biggest headache of my life. I do NOT recommend fluid mechanics papers.

I didn't write the report in Microsoft Word, like I would with any other paper...I decided to do the whole thing with LaTeX (to improve ease of read and quality of document format), and it looks immeasurably better than it would with MS Word. Would that be a problem for when I submit it? Is it submission of hard copies to the IB, or is it digital? I'm worried that I just spent a very, very long time formatting this paper intricately when in reality I'm going to end up converting it all back into an inferior word processor.

I would assume that it must be a hard copy and not digitally. I've never heard of it being submitted in any other way than on paper. So I'm afraid you're going to have to convert it all back into a Word document, sorry. :( Is it possible to print it out from LaTeX without doing a conversion?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is in History: "Why did Dan White assassinate Harvey Milk?"

I'm looking in to whether the assassination was politically or personally motivated. I'm almost done, I just need to cut down ~200 words, make a few minor edits and write my abstract.

Edited by Guest

Extremely nervous. First year IB student and I don't know too much about the EE to decide on my own topic.

I am interested in IB Theatre and IB English mainly, but if I could find a topic to do on history in Eastern Africa, count me in!

Also I'm a risk-taker and the Harry Potter idea sounded rather amazing? Did someone initially follow through with the EE topic on Harry Potter and turn it into IBO? I'm curious as to what this person could have gotten for a grade.

HELP PLEASE. <3

I've been thinking about writing this one "An Analysis of the Arab-Israeli situation(conflict) during World War I", but I'm afraid it might be a bit too broad. Any thoughts?

Way too broad. It is definitely an area you can research but you will need to pick an event/person/whatever that occurred during the Arab-Israeli conflict to focus on as just "The Arab-Israeli Conflict" is too broad. Look into important events/key people that happened and pick something you think is interesting.

Extremely nervous. First year IB student and I don't know too much about the EE to decide on my own topic.

I am interested in IB Theatre and IB English mainly, but if I could find a topic to do on history in Eastern Africa, count me in!

Also I'm a risk-taker and the Harry Potter idea sounded rather amazing? Did someone initially follow through with the EE topic on Harry Potter and turn it into IBO? I'm curious as to what this person could have gotten for a grade.

HELP PLEASE. <3

You can write your EE in any subject IBO offers which includes theatre, English, and history; however, it's generally advised to do yours in a subject you take or have a lot of knowledge in (for example you also study psychology but don't take it for your IB diploma). So yes you can write about a history topic in Eastern Africa. You can't write about "the history of East Africa" obviously since you have to narrow it down, but you could write about a major event that happened in one of those countries, the rise/fall of a political figure there, a past conflict, or whatever interests you, as long as it's related to history. And yes people have submitted EEs on Harry Potter in the past. Some people have done well, and some people have not. It depends on the quality of your analysis and your question. So while someone writing about Harry Potter may receive a B, another might get a D. It's generally not advised to do a Harry Potter EE as so many have been done, but if you can find an interesting angle/compare it with another book it might work.