Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Thank you sooo much!

Does anyone know if it's allowed to use phrases such as "i chose this topic because... " cause when I asked my teacher, she said that it is not allowed, but how am i supposed to explain my choice?

Hi.

Just say what you want to say instead of adding stuff such as "The reason for me in doing this topic is because that blah blah blah."

Intead, explain why your topic is important, and necessary for an EE, not just for getting your diploma. As for how you came up the topic, just tell it like a story, with less Is...

My example is something like" Spiders are one of the most effective predators to disease carrying insects, they are free labourers like bees that help our society at minimal disturbances to other things. If they are gone, blah blah blah. Therefore! It is important to investigate on this topic."

Edited by Oryxy

I changed my topic on Friday.

Now my topic is: "Emotional Hijacking - What happens when an individual gets overwhelmed by emotions and how can further damage be prevented?".

Started writing today. Got 2000 words. I love my topic. :) But I have until tomorrow to finish it.. :| Unfortunately, I don't take Psychology as a subject. Oh well, as long as I have fun writing it. ;)

i chose to do my in english because i absolutely love english, and i'm also really good at it, as well as i want to do something like journalism or writing.

as for the topic, i first wanted to do poetry of south african apartheid, and i did find some amazing poems, and one of them was a poet, Phillippa Yaa de Villiers. and i read up a bit on her story which i found fascinating! she was in an orphanage as a baby, and as the babies arrive there they are sent to different orphanages based on their race. (she's coloured) but they didn't realize that, so there was an argument, one woman thought she was white and another said she was black.. the woman who thought she was white, was so sure she was right.. she adopted her herself!! and then she had to grow up.. getting darker, living in the white side of town with people constantly asking her race!

she's a brilliant poet, and it so happened that i was reading one of them to my friend in my art lesson, and my art teacher was overhearing all this and then she realized who the poet was! apparently she's really close friends with her and she had her poetry book and i'll get to interview her as well! so that worked out rather well. i couldn't be happier!!

I did my extended essay topic on

How did the backgrounds of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Walt Whitman, and Henry David Thoreau, influence their transcendentalist philosophies on nature and death?

I'm not sure where it fits though.

English

Philosophy

Psychology

Each of the transcendentalists are authors, but they had philosophies on what happened to the body and soul once the person died

and that nature was alive and certain things like that.

Chemistry - Wine making

I'm testing the acidity of (red and white) wine through pH and titratable acidity as it ferments and ages.

My teachers keep asking for my samples... :P

Even i m planning to do my extended essay in chemistry......my topic is to investigate the metallurgy behind the composition of a coin and to find the percentage composition of chemical present in rupees 5 Indian coin?.....your suggestions are welcomed....thanks and god bless

Well like many of you i've like only just started trying to think of a topic.......our school has been really slack, not telling us when things have to be done until AFTER they want them done. Like for example with the group 4, im doing enviro and one day our teacher comes in (having barely mentioned it all) telling us that she needed them THAT DAY!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I was not impressed,

But anyway

I was thinking of doing something about attitudes towards homosexuality, maybe how they've changed, or maybe specificially to do with a type of religion. Although I'm really not sure....I guess my subject could be, depending on exactly how I look at it, either world religions or history?

IF anyone has any suggestions of how to narrow it down or watev, i would reaaly appreciate cos apparently im supposed to have a supervisor and all this stuff worked out already! Again with the not telling me until i've already supposed to have done it!

Well attitudes would probably be crossing into the area of psychology, I'd say, basically how people think of others and stuff like that.

Right now, I was thinking I'd be doing a Math EE, but I've managed to probably miraculously save myself and go for a Music one, since I've taken high level theory and stuff like that, and my Harmony teacher has a PhD so that's pretty awesome. : D If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to listen.

My topic is To what extent was the rise of a Bolshevik dictatorship inevitable after the abdication of Tsar Nicolas II?

I'm just hoping it isn't too broad. If you have any questions, comments, or reservations to this topic, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Well, to me it seems a bit too wide of a topic. I'd recommend you to change it a bit.If you want to focus on the abdication you might want to rephrase it a bit and ask "To what extent did the abdication of the Tsar Nicholas II facilitate the rise of the Bolsheviks dictatorship?". Then you would give some reasons why it was exactly the abdication that helped the Bolshevik rise to power easier and evaluate them. On the other hand you might also want to study the failures of the Provision Government, although that wouldn't be very original.

My EE topic is "What challenges did Trotsky face, and what were the key factors in his success, in organizing the Red Army?" I have a bit over 3000 words now, final deadline in my school is 31 October.

After thinking of all the possibilities I decided to do it in English B HL. I'm a little behind with the work though, I haven't started writing it yet. Another problem I have is that I can't seem to know exactly what I want to research, although I started informing myself about it in a general way.

What I have so far:

"Comparison between E-prime and Newspeak and their applicability in the contemporary society"

If anyone has any idea of what elso I could research in this area your help would be much appreciated :S

I've been considering taken up an EE in English A1 on a Terry Pratchett novel (or more likely on one of several of the recurring characters), although generally the literature essay's I've heard people write on have been on more classic novel's, do you think any topic on a sci-fi writer (even one as sophisticated and clever as Pratchett) would immediately be smashed by the IB in terms of marking?