May 2014 Results thread

I was just told that our class average is 32 points, which is an all time low. I'm afraid to call my teacher and ask, so I will just wait it out, and then cry in my own apartment. Fluck Fluck Fluuuck

If it helps at all, I had a score of 41 and my class average (second all-time lowest for my school) was a 29. Don't lose hope.

• Like 7

I am so scared as well. I do not worry so much about not passing, but the university of my dreams wants me to get a minimum of 38 points AT LEAST, and that's where I get terrified. I felt very confident half-way through exams, but thanks to Chemistry I am really not sure if I will get the grades I need. I might have to redo chemistry next year, but we will see.

Is anyone else going to do retakes if you don't get the grades you need, or are you just going to hope for the best and that universities will accept you anyway?

The top universities dont actually appreciate retakes. I know that oxbridge dont even consider them, the rest just expect you to do well the first time, and it makes sense tbh. So I am planning to make it up by going on a volunteer trip to Peru (which I am doing anyways), so I hope that helps if I miss my mark by a microunit. .

Yeah, I heard that :/ I want to study English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick, but have no idea what they think about retakes. I was thinking of publishing a novel I have written during my IB  years this year, so I hope that will back up my grades. Otherwise there is of course the work I have done for CAS (writing for the school-newspaper, working at an animal shelter, lead a running club, teach German and English and perform and write a musical about the IB + more).

I live near Warwick Uni and know quite a few people who've gone on to study there. As for retakes, it is likely they will take them but ofcourse you would have to re apply next year. Many A Level students (the normal sixth form qualification here) take a year out, re do their first year and re take their exams etc. Many also dont meet the conditions, and just re apply a year later. My brother did this with the IB and actually went to a higher points required university. Good luck!

I was going to take a gap year anyway, as I need to save money in order to pay the high tuition fees. If I don't get the grades I will definitely call them to see whether they would still consider my application without the grades or if they would prefer retakes (or neither). I have not applied yet, so I don't have too much to worry about right now. I just hope that Chemistry won't pull down my grade too much.

Ohh! Then you should be fine. If its like what mostly happens here: we don't disclose previous exam attempts, because if we re did them our old attempt doesn't really exist anymore because it was the same qualification and you cant have it twice haha. My brother didn't disclose to uni's that he did retakes.

Unfortunately retakes are explicitly stated on the IB diploma you receive, and I know some universities disregard such diplomas completely (at least in Denmark) and request the original one immediately :/ Might be completely different elsewhere though!

Oh dear, maybe it does depend country by country, as I only know how the IB is presented on UCAS when applying for uni. Ofcourse univerisites can ask if you've retaken and want to see your originals, just that many here do not or don't really care about your first grades. You're totally right though they may if the university is particularly prestigious and obviously I don't know if the procedure is different for international students.

So does that mean that universities in the UK are fine with retakes? Since I assume UCAS does not tell whether you have a retake diploma.. Retakes should not matter that much, as long as you have the knowledge you need for a 7 it should not matter if it took you longer to get it. Although I do understand why universities would exclude retakes, especially if many people apply and they want to know the learning speed and not the knowledge itself.

43 points overall,

7 in Maths HL,

7 in Physics HL,

6 in Economics HL (1% off the boundary...),

7 in Chemistry SL

7 in English L&L SL

6 in German B SL

A in Extended Essay (Maths),

B in TOK

:panic:

Totally unexpected, so happy with my result. Slightly sour about econ, but I really can't complain.

Why don't you ask for a remark in Econ? It could actually get you that 1% needed for the 7, and worst case scenario it'll get remarked as a 6 again.

I'm DONEEE!!!!! Finally! :D

HL English L&L: 6

HL Psychology: 6

HL Biology: 7 (BY ONE MARK!!!! ahahaha)

SL Math Studies: 7
SL Finnish B: 7
SL Chemistry: 7

EE: A

ToK: B

So 43 points overall!!! I'm so happy!!!! I met and exceeded my uni offers and will be going to the University of Glasgow for Psychology and Neuroscience fall 2015! :dance2:

WE DID IT! :clap:

Also I was 5 points off a 7 in both English and Psychology I'm wondering if I there is a point in getting them re-marked? I guess you could call them kind of subjective subjects so any ideas? XD

Edited by Erasmusrasmus
  • Like 8

got my grades!!! 40/45 :)

Physics HL: 7

Math HL: 7

Swedish B, HL: 5

Chemistry SL: 7

History SL: 5

English SL: 7

Physics EE: C (very disappointed, but yeah it was quite expected, cuz I did about 'magnetic damping' which was quite simple)

TOK: A

Generally satisfied! I hope things go well for you guys as well :)

• Like 2

Bilingual diploma awarded :D It seems I'll be a law student this fall ^^

Total: 35

Math HL - 4 (hoooooooly crap! I was so afraid of getting a 2)
Economics HL - 6
English B HL - 7
Business and Management SL - 5
Biology SL - 5
Swedish A SL - 6
EE in economics - C
TOK - A

Even though I initially had higher goals, all I care about now is getting enough to get into uni ;) So slightly bummed about my two 5's, but they were outweighed by the fact that I was smack on the 39 points which were the lower boundary for a 4 in math HL :)

• Like 5

Hello :) I'm an anticipated student (one year course) in German B SL and got 6 however, I'm two points away from a seven, should I ask for my result to be remarked?

Also, since I'm "only" an anticipated student, and there was only one one year course class in grade 11, nobody informed us about the remarking and where to go if we want to request a remark. Where would I have to go if I were to request a remarking of my exam? To the IB coordinator?