May 2014 Results thread

So these are my grades, should I get any of them remarked?

Swedish Literature SL: 5 (65%) To get a 6 I need 69%. To go down to a 4 I would need to have 57%.

IA score: 22/30

Paper 1 score: 13/20 (I did not have a conclusion, maybe that dragged the grade down)

Paper 2 score: 9/25 (I knew it was really bad but not this bad :/)

Written Assignment: 21/25 (Kinda surprised it was that good)

English B HL: 6 (84%). To get a 7 I need 88%. To go down to a 5 I need 73%.

IA score: 27/30

Paper 1 score: 54/60

Paper 2 score: 37/45 (Very surprised as I felt it went REALLY ****)

Written Assignment: 18/25 (This was huge surprise in a bad way - Felt it was really good. I was thinking I'd get top marks on it)

Economics SL: 5 (52%) was just on it. No remark here.

Biology HL: 5 (64%). To get a 6 I need 70%. To go down to a 5 I need 56%.

IA score: 38/48

Paper 1 score: 30/40

Paper 2 score: 37/72 (Very surprised. I crossed out many things and wrote on separate attached booklets. Do you think they might have missed that?)

Paper 3: 22/40 (Was kinda expecting at least 28/40, Also answered on separate papers)

Chemistry HL: 5 (61%). To get a 6 I need 68%. To go down to a 5 I need 56%.

IA score: 37/48

Paper 1 score: 33/40 (Expected more, but haha its paper 1. They can't mark that wrong)

Paper 2 score: 39/90 (I felt it went bad but maybe slightly more. Also used separate attached booklets.)

Paper 3: 27/50 (Was kinda expecting at least 37/50, Also answered on separate papers)

Maths SL: 6 (84%). To get a 7 I need 86%. To go down to a 5 I need 73%.

IA score: 13/20 (School was brought down 4%....)

Paper 1 score: 83/90

Paper 2 score: 77/90

I was expecting something along these points on both papers. The IA brought me down. Is there any point in asking for a regrade?

Finally I got three bonus points. A in EE and B in TOK

A total of 35/45.

Now I live in Sweden and to get into medical school I'd need at least 38 points. That seems like a long shot. I was more thinking I would appeal just to get the grade higher for personal pride. I also applied to dentistry which requires around 36-37 but there I am kinda hoping I will get in using a test we in Sweden call "HP". So I am not counting on grades to get into dentistry. What do you think guys, should I get any subjects remarked to get a better grade?

I don't think it is worth it as I got 69% and the next boundary in Bio was 70%, and my IBC told me it was no use to send it in. Also she said that there was no use unless you were like 1-2% off to get to the next grade :/ However it is all up to you and you should do what you think is the best! I also felt like the English B grades were very strict this year, as when I looked at examples receiving high grades (7s) in the course book they looked much worse than what I have been doing. Nevertheless I got a 6 and I am happy with that, but my WA was given much less marks than what I originally expected. 

Anyway, good luck when it comes to whatever you decide to do, and congratulations with your results! :clap:

Science and math grades typically won't change much by more than a point or two because they're objectively graded. Either you have the answer or you don't. The only time a big increase happens is if something unexpected happens, such as if they lost a paper. Humanities and arts typically change more because they're subjective.

If any I'd remark Swedish and English. Maybe math because you could scrape out a method point or two, but your IA isn't getting regraded. But you're too far away in chemistry and biology to make a remark worth it.

does anyone know, does Les Roches international school of Hotel management accept people who're not awarded a IB diploma? My HL subjects gain fewer than 12, I got 11 only, which cause by my VA...I was 2 marks off to the upper boundary, should I remark or what ? I'm really confuse now... 

I don't know about your school (maybe email them?), but you should definitely get VA remarked if you've got the money. Nothing to lose, really :P

does anyone know, does Les Roches international school of Hotel management accept people who're not awarded a IB diploma? My HL subjects gain fewer than 12, I got 11 only, which cause by my VA...I was 2 marks off to the upper boundary, should I remark or what ? I'm really confuse now... 

I don't know about your school (maybe email them?), but you should definitely get VA remarked if you've got the money. Nothing to lose, really :P

yea! thanks for your opinion ! its really mean a lot :) 

Science and math grades typically won't change much by more than a point or two because they're objectively graded. Either you have the answer or you don't. The only time a big increase happens is if something unexpected happens, such as if they lost a paper. Humanities and arts typically change more because they're subjective.

If any I'd remark Swedish and English. Maybe math because you could scrape out a method point or two, but your IA isn't getting regraded. But you're too far away in chemistry and biology to make a remark worth it.

Well I calculated I need 4 marks in maths to get the higher grade. Maybe that's too much?

In English I would have to lose 12% to get a 5, maybe I could try to remark there? I mean 12% is a LOT to lose. Am I safe?

In Swedish though I would have to lose 8% to get a 4. Is that safe for a remark?

Well I calculated I need 4 marks in maths to get the higher grade. Maybe that's too much?

In English I would have to lose 12% to get a 5, maybe I could try to remark there? I mean 12% is a LOT to lose. Am I safe?

In Swedish though I would have to lose 8% to get a 4. Is that safe for a remark?

Math might be a little too much then. Four marks is kind of a lot for an objective subject. You can try if you want to pay for it, but it's usually not worth it in a subject like math if you're more than like 2 marks off.  I'd say you're fine for English, and probably okay in Swedish as well.

Swedish Literature SL: 5 (65%) To get a 6 I need 69%. To go down to a 4 I would need to have 57%.

Paper 1 score: 13/20 (I did not have a conclusion, maybe that dragged the grade down)

Written Assignment: 18/25 (This was huge surprise in a bad way - Felt it was really good. I was thinking I'd get top marks on it)

Paper 2 score: 37/72 (Very surprised. I crossed out many things and wrote on separate attached booklets. Do you think they might have missed that?)

Paper 3: 22/40 (Was kinda expecting at least 28/40, Also answered on separate papers)

Paper 1 score: 33/40 (Expected more, but haha its paper 1. They can't mark that wrong)

Paper 2 score: 39/90 (I felt it went bad but maybe slightly more. Also used separate attached booklets.)

Paper 3: 27/50 (Was kinda expecting at least 37/50, Also answered on separate papers)

I was expecting something along these points on both papers. The IA brought me down. Is there any point in asking for a regrade?

A total of 35/45.

Now I live in Sweden and to get into medical school I'd need at least 38 points. That seems like a long shot. I was more thinking I would appeal just to get the grade higher for personal pride. I also applied to dentistry which requires around 36-37 but there I am kinda hoping I will get in using a test we in Sweden call "HP". So I am not counting on grades to get into dentistry. What do you think guys, should I get any subjects remarked to get a better grade?

When you used extra answer booklets, did you write that you continued the answer in a separate booklet in the original answer space? If you didn't they might have missed the extra sheets.

For Arabic I am 1 point from a 5, I knew that they were very harsh for P2 and Written Task (where I got a 3) and I am sure of that. For Chemistry HL, I am 2 points from a 6, but all of the papers and IAs were 5s except for P3 which was a 6, so I don't know which component I will ask for a remark. For French, I knew they were not fair at all, I got 3 in P2 and 4 in Written Task, but I am about 11 points from a 6. Should I request for remarks? What is your advice? 

For Arabic I am 1 point from a 5, I knew that they were very harsh for P2 and Written Task (where I got a 3) and I am sure of that. For Chemistry HL, I am 2 points from a 6, but all of the papers and IAs were 5s except for P3 which was a 6, so I don't know which component I will ask for a remark. For French, I knew they were not fair at all, I got 3 in P2 and 4 in Written Task, but I am about 11 points from a 6. Should I request for remarks? What is your advice? 

I'd remark Arabic because it's more subjective and it's very possible your score will go up. Chemistry may go up. French won't go up, you're too far away. I'm sorry if you feel like it was unfair, but the graders know what to look for and you must word things a particular way to get credit for your answers, and it's unlikely you'll get a large jump in points back if you send it to be regraded unless something unusual happened the first time around.

Remember when you do a remark, they will remark your entire exam, not just one particular paper. You can't ask for just Paper 1 or so, it's all or none at all.

• Like 1

A total of 35/45.

When you used extra answer booklets, did you write that you continued the answer in a separate booklet in the original answer space? If you didn't they might have missed the extra sheets.

Yeah I tried to show that, but maybe forgot one time...

Math might be a little too much then. Four marks is kind of a lot for an objective subject. You can try if you want to pay for it, but it's usually not worth it in a subject like math if you're more than like 2 marks off.  I'd say you're fine for English, and probably okay in Swedish as well.

Yeah I think I might get Swedish and English remarked. I really don't know about the maths. I mean its hard to miss 4 marks isn't it?

I'd remark Arabic because it's more subjective and it's very possible your score will go up. Chemistry may go up. French won't go up, you're too far away. I'm sorry if you feel like it was unfair, but the graders know what to look for and you must word things a particular way to get credit for your answers, and it's unlikely you'll get a large jump in points back if you send it to be regraded unless something unusual happened the first time around.

Remember when you do a remark, they will remark your entire exam, not just one particular paper. You can't ask for just Paper 1 or so, it's all or none at all.

Can I ask to remark the written task?

A total of 35/45.

how did you get the breakdown of your results?

hey guys! I got my IB score, and I was oh so shocked (in a good way)
Chem HL - 76% = 6
Bio HL - 83% = 7
Geo HL - 78% = 7
Math SL - 82% = 6
English A SL - 79% = 6
Thai A SL - 78% = 6 (biggest surprise since i got a 4 for paper 1, and 3 for paper 2 in my mock exams just 2 months before finals!)
EE 35/36 = A (trust me, i was expecting 25ish)
TOK 45/60 = B
total 41 (+3 for ee/tok)

I just want to say that you guys should all be proud of yourselves. These grades matter for nothing - I'm just happy to have got through IB and have learnt so much in so short a time.. i got way beyond i expected and i was lucky to have great teachers.. also thanks to ib survival :D
good luck to everyone else!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! So i just finished IB Year 1 (woo woo). 

My results were as follows:

French B: 6

Math SL: 6

Now for my Math mark, the upper grade boundary is an 83, and i got an 83, meaning i need 1 mark for that 6 to become a 7. So my question is, should i invest in contesting the grade? and if so, how does that work (meaning when do i contact my coordinator, how much is it, etc.)

Thanks!