May 2014 Results thread

Probably not going to uni this year, next year either Handels or some school in London.

isnt handels the best uni in sweden already..........i mean in social science area........... you should get in there with that awesome grade

Edited by Sandwich

Hi fellow IB-ers,

really freaked out after hearing my result.

I got 38 39 points

Math HL - 6

Physics HL - 7

Chemistry HL - 6

Economics SL - 6  7

English Literature A - 5

French B SL - 7

TOK - C (damn!)

EE in physics - B

I am really really upset.  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

I want to major in physics in a German university.

Edited by Amen
  • Like 5

Hi fellow IB-ers,

I got 38 points.

Math HL - 6

Physics HL - 7

Chemistry HL - 6

Economics SL - 6

English Literature A - 5

French B SL - 7

TOK - C (damn!)

EE in physics - B

38 is still an outstanding grade and you got a 7 in physics HL and good grades in all subjects except of English and TOK really, which are subjects you will not need if you study physics at uni. Do you know what grades you need?

• Like 4

Hi fellow IB-ers,

I got 38 points.

Math HL - 6

Physics HL - 7

Chemistry HL - 6

Economics SL - 6

English Literature A - 5

French B SL - 7

TOK - C (damn!)

EE in physics - B

38 points is VERY good, did you miss a conditional offer for university? Because as far as I know, you can get into a lot of good universities with that score. ToK is so subjective and same with English, if your teacher misunderstood the syllabus in the slightest it could have dire consequences (happened to my entire class with the new syllabus). Your HL subjects are awesome!! I think your grades are pretty darn impressive :) 

• Like 6

Hmmm... thanks guys.... if you say so :)

But, I was predicted a 44 and its a big jump downwards ... :(

Actually, I haven't got an offer yet

For German universities, we get our offers in July/August.

Classes start in late october.

So .... fingers crossed... :(

• Like 2

Hi fellow IB-ers,

I got 38 points.

Math HL - 6

Physics HL - 7

Chemistry HL - 6

Economics SL - 6

English Literature A - 5

French B SL - 7

TOK - C (damn!)

EE in physics - B

I'm missing something here... Did you miss your offer? Or are you worried that your grades aren't good enough to present a competitive application?

For starters, you've got a good 7,6,6 at HL, and all in relevant subjects to Physics (Okay, chemistry is a bit of a stretch but it's still a science). I'm not familiar with German uni applications but I don't think getting 38 destroys your chances of getting in. Perhaps you won't look at strong academically compared to the 44s and 45s, but there're other ways to improve your application (writing a really interesting paper comes to mind, or more traditionally, doing STEP). 

• Like 3

Got my final score breakdowns! :)

English Lit HL - 7

Maths HL - 7

Economics HL - 7

History HL - 7

Biology SL - 7

French Ab Initio SL - 7

TOK - B

EE - A

45/45

Certificate scores:

Theatre HL - 7

Dance HL - 7

Maths Further HL - 6

SO happy with this outcome. :D :D :D :D

I officially set a record in my school and my school principal and IB Coordinator sent me flowers at home. (I'm such a teacher's pet!) Seriously, I cried when I got my results today.

Congratulations to everybody for their scores and their amazing, amazing achievements and accomplishment. You all are super duper brilliant and totally deserving of all your success! :hug:

Oh wow....!!!

You're a genius!!!!!!!

:) :)

That is just so awesome .... :) :)

How did you really achieve ALL that??

I am so scared as well. I do not worry so much about not passing, but the university of my dreams wants me to get a minimum of 38 points AT LEAST, and that's where I get terrified. I felt very confident half-way through exams, but thanks to Chemistry I am really not sure if I will get the grades I need. I might have to redo chemistry next year, but we will see.

Is anyone else going to do retakes if you don't get the grades you need, or are you just going to hope for the best and that universities will accept you anyway?

The top universities dont actually appreciate retakes. I know that oxbridge dont even consider them, the rest just expect you to do well the first time, and it makes sense tbh. So I am planning to make it up by going on a volunteer trip to Peru (which I am doing anyways), so I hope that helps if I miss my mark by a microunit. .

Yeah, I heard that :/ I want to study English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick, but have no idea what they think about retakes. I was thinking of publishing a novel I have written during my IB  years this year, so I hope that will back up my grades. Otherwise there is of course the work I have done for CAS (writing for the school-newspaper, working at an animal shelter, lead a running club, teach German and English and perform and write a musical about the IB + more).

I live near Warwick Uni and know quite a few people who've gone on to study there. As for retakes, it is likely they will take them but ofcourse you would have to re apply next year. Many A Level students (the normal sixth form qualification here) take a year out, re do their first year and re take their exams etc. Many also dont meet the conditions, and just re apply a year later. My brother did this with the IB and actually went to a higher points required university. Good luck!

• Like 1

I am so scared as well. I do not worry so much about not passing, but the university of my dreams wants me to get a minimum of 38 points AT LEAST, and that's where I get terrified. I felt very confident half-way through exams, but thanks to Chemistry I am really not sure if I will get the grades I need. I might have to redo chemistry next year, but we will see.

Is anyone else going to do retakes if you don't get the grades you need, or are you just going to hope for the best and that universities will accept you anyway?

The top universities dont actually appreciate retakes. I know that oxbridge dont even consider them, the rest just expect you to do well the first time, and it makes sense tbh. So I am planning to make it up by going on a volunteer trip to Peru (which I am doing anyways), so I hope that helps if I miss my mark by a microunit. .

Yeah, I heard that :/ I want to study English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick, but have no idea what they think about retakes. I was thinking of publishing a novel I have written during my IB  years this year, so I hope that will back up my grades. Otherwise there is of course the work I have done for CAS (writing for the school-newspaper, working at an animal shelter, lead a running club, teach German and English and perform and write a musical about the IB + more).

I live near Warwick Uni and know quite a few people who've gone on to study there. As for retakes, it is likely they will take them but ofcourse you would have to re apply next year. Many A Level students (the normal sixth form qualification here) take a year out, re do their first year and re take their exams etc. Many also dont meet the conditions, and just re apply a year later. My brother did this with the IB and actually went to a higher points required university. Good luck!

I was going to take a gap year anyway, as I need to save money in order to pay the high tuition fees. If I don't get the grades I will definitely call them to see whether they would still consider my application without the grades or if they would prefer retakes (or neither). I have not applied yet, so I don't have too much to worry about right now. I just hope that Chemistry won't pull down my grade too much.

I was going to take a gap year anyway, as I need to save money in order to pay the high tuition fees. If I don't get the grades I will definitely call them to see whether they would still consider my application without the grades or if they would prefer retakes (or neither). I have not applied yet, so I don't have too much to worry about right now. I just hope that Chemistry won't pull down my grade too much.

Ohh! Then you should be fine. If its like what mostly happens here: we don't disclose previous exam attempts, because if we re did them our old attempt doesn't really exist anymore because it was the same qualification and you cant have it twice haha. My brother didn't disclose to uni's that he did retakes.

• Like 1

2 hours and 35 minutes to go!!!! I just hope to get 32 ...

Actually 1 hour and 10 minutes.

no in ib website its said 11:27 GMT now........so around 2 hours to go

different countries have different times, to prevent everyone logging on at the same time and causing the site to crash :)

• Like 3

Ohh! Then you should be fine. If its like what mostly happens here: we don't disclose previous exam attempts, because if we re did them our old attempt doesn't really exist anymore because it was the same qualification and you cant have it twice haha. My brother didn't disclose to uni's that he did retakes.

Unfortunately retakes are explicitly stated on the IB diploma you receive, and I know some universities disregard such diplomas completely (at least in Denmark) and request the original one immediately :/ Might be completely different elsewhere though!

Unfortunately retakes are explicitly stated on the IB diploma you receive, and I know some universities disregard such diplomas completely (at least in Denmark) and request the original one immediately :/ Might be completely different elsewhere though!

Oh dear, maybe it does depend country by country, as I only know how the IB is presented on UCAS when applying for uni. Ofcourse univerisites can ask if you've retaken and want to see your originals, just that many here do not or don't really care about your first grades. You're totally right though they may if the university is particularly prestigious and obviously I don't know if the procedure is different for international students.

• Like 1

Econ HL - 7

English B HL - 6 (lol wtf)

Math HL - 6

Geography SL - 7

Chemistry SL - 6

Korean A Lit SL - 6

EE Korean A - A

TOK - B

41/45

Bilingual Diploma awarded

I'M GOING TO LSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!