May 2014 Results thread

WOW!!

sooo how did you go?!

I really shouldnt have bothered logging on, now im nervous as hell before coming I had completely forgotten about this!

how were yours? Im dying to know!!

I put on my big girl pants and checked it.

Got a 45. :eek:

Best. Day. Ever. :sadbye:

WOWWWW!!! CONGRATS!!!

• Like 1

I am so scared as well. I do not worry so much about not passing, but the university of my dreams wants me to get a minimum of 38 points AT LEAST, and that's where I get terrified. I felt very confident half-way through exams, but thanks to Chemistry I am really not sure if I will get the grades I need. I might have to redo chemistry next year, but we will see.

Is anyone else going to do retakes if you don't get the grades you need, or are you just going to hope for the best and that universities will accept you anyway?

The top universities dont actually appreciate retakes. I know that oxbridge dont even consider them, the rest just expect you to do well the first time, and it makes sense tbh. So I am planning to make it up by going on a volunteer trip to Peru (which I am doing anyways), so I hope that helps if I miss my mark by a microunit. .

Yeah, I heard that :/ I want to study English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick, but have no idea what they think about retakes. I was thinking of publishing a novel I have written during my IB  years this year, so I hope that will back up my grades. Otherwise there is of course the work I have done for CAS (writing for the school-newspaper, working at an animal shelter, lead a running club, teach German and English and perform and write a musical about the IB + more).

Whats the website again that we go to???? My phone got stolen and it had a picture of the code and everything on it, so is the code something along the lines of 3 letters, followed by 3 numbers?

Much appreciated

https://candidates.ibo.org/index.cfm?event=authnHandler.showLoginForm here is the website. As for your code, I suggest you ask your coordinator because the school will have everyone's details :)

I am so scared as well. I do not worry so much about not passing, but the university of my dreams wants me to get a minimum of 38 points AT LEAST, and that's where I get terrified. I felt very confident half-way through exams, but thanks to Chemistry I am really not sure if I will get the grades I need. I might have to redo chemistry next year, but we will see.

Is anyone else going to do retakes if you don't get the grades you need, or are you just going to hope for the best and that universities will accept you anyway?

The top universities dont actually appreciate retakes. I know that oxbridge dont even consider them, the rest just expect you to do well the first time, and it makes sense tbh. So I am planning to make it up by going on a volunteer trip to Peru (which I am doing anyways), so I hope that helps if I miss my mark by a microunit. .

Yeah, I heard that :/ I want to study English Literature and Creative Writing at Warwick, but have no idea what they think about retakes. I was thinking of publishing a novel I have written during my IB  years this year, so I hope that will back up my grades. Otherwise there is of course the work I have done for CAS (writing for the school-newspaper, working at an animal shelter, lead a running club, teach German and English and perform and write a musical about the IB + more).

Retakes are honestly not a huge deal if you've got other things going for you, like a great reference, a captivating personal statement or school achievements. I feel like universities tend to recognize the fact that 16-18 year olds aren't exactly the best decision makers, and that it may lead to less-than-stellar performances academically. 

Universities really don't care about how many A*s/points you've got - they care about what it means. They are looking for the smartest and brightest students, and grades are one way to distinguish them. 

It really doesn't mean that universities will reject you just because you've done retakes. One of the girls who is going to Oxford with me this oct got like 31 points on her first try, 39 after her retake, and 42 after her second retake. She got in because she had a killer statement, did quite well on the LNAT and just got like, all the points, at interview. 

Something to keep in mind if you haven't done well in this session. 

sooo how did you go?!

I really shouldnt have bothered logging on, now im nervous as hell before coming I had completely forgotten about this!

I remember the day I got my score. My first thought was that I can finally sleep properly, and I basically went into hibernation for about a week. So, to you, I say: Congratulations, and it's time to go to bed :)

That's quite relieving. I think my university accepts retakes in some cases, but as you said, it depends what the grades mean. If someone achieves low grades because of their demanding extra curricular activies, they are more like to get an offer than someone who gets low grades because they could not care any less about school.

So I did not get a Diploma by one point, but I plan to either get my Physics and Chemistry papers rechecked or I will re-sit the exams. But the confusion I have is if I do retake my exams, will I be given a Diploma or will be a certificate? And does anyone know what the certificate looks like? Does it have the score? :( 

I really can't understand why the score came out to be so awful?

sooo how did you go?!

Congrats!!!! :D

Thanks a lot. But at this moment, I have been sincerely humbled. I wish I could've done better. But I guess it just wasn't. Next time I'll use this to actually do better. Thanks for your words of encouragement

English A1 SL - 5

Hindi SL - 6

Math HL - 5

Physics HL - 6

ITGS - 5

Chemistry - 5

EE ITGS - A

TOK - E (Academic Infringement because I forgot the put Quotation Marks. Did Cite it though. Hence got 0 in TOK Essay.)

• Like 3

So I did not get a Diploma by one point, but I plan to either get my Physics and Chemistry papers rechecked or I will re-sit the exams. But the confusion I have is if I do retake my exams, will I be given a Diploma or will be a certificate? And does anyone know what the certificate looks like? Does it have the score? :(

I really can't understand why the score came out to be so awful?

Hey mate,

Sorry to hear about the less-than-ideal result. With a retake (assuming you pass with all the requirements met), you will be able to get your diploma. But getting the diploma is more than just getting a certain point score.

I'm attaching a document that I found online that should help give you all the specifics.

Passing Conditions for Earning an IB Diploma.pdf

• Like 3

Thanks a lot. But at this moment, I have been sincerely humbled. I wish I could've done better. But I guess it just wasn't. Next time I'll use this to actually do better. Thanks for your words of encouragement

English A1 SL - 5

Hindi SL - 6

Math HL - 5

Physics HL - 6

ITGS - 5

Chemistry - 5

EE ITGS - A

TOK - E (Academic Infringement because I forgot the put Quotation Marks. Did Cite it though. Hence got 0 in TOK Essay.)

Wow the ToK thing is just beyond unfair!! I have never heard of anything like that happen before. For all you know, you could have received 36 points without the ToK misunderstanding, which is a phenomenal score. I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Edit: Btw I personally know a few people that would have killed for a 6 in Physics HL, they studied so hard and only achieved a 4 last year!

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 2

Me neither, and I too believe it to be a tad bit harsh. I copied 20 words out of 1550. I took them because they were elegantly summing up my arguements. I forgot to put the quotation marks and the next thing I know, this happens.

Me neither, and I too believe it to be a tad bit harsh. I copied 20 words out of 1550. I took them because they were elegantly summing up my arguements. I forgot to put the quotation marks and the next thing I know, this happens.

I would send a complaint, and ask to re-read, because I believe that is

a) unfair to avoid the work completely

and

b) also a mistake of your tok teacher, who is SUPPOSED to help you with the formatting and formalities of the essay.

• Like 5