Hi! This question is not as hard as it seems. You have to recall the core contents of geometrical series. Open up your data booklet -it's always good to have it in hand- and in the Algebra section, look for the sum of the infinite terms of a geometrical series with r<1. It looks something like this:

S=a1/(1-r)

So you introduce the given values to get

S=10/(1-0.02)= 10,20408163= 10,2 (approximated to 3 s.f.)

Now, regarding the second part of this question, you must recall that the sum of n terms in a geometric serie is

Sn= a1(1-r^n)/(1-r)

So then

S-Sn>0,00001

a1/(1-r) - a1(1-r^n)/(1-r) < 0,00001

a1/(1-r) (1-(1-r^n)) < 0,00001

Sn (r^n) < 0,00001

r^n < 0,00001/10,20408163

r^n < 9,8 * 10^-7

log 9,8*10^-7 < n

r

(log 9,8*10^-7)/(log 0,02) < n

3,53671.... < n

n must be at least 4.

good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

guys one quick question,

in a cylinder, what do you call the circles on the top and bottom? also, what do you call the other surface thing?

I'm used to studying maths in indo so I only know what it's called in indo.. we didn't learn cylinder again in IGCSE and IB because we're assumed to have been very familiar with it. which I am but I'm not familiar with the English terminology.

just want to know what the surfaces are called. thank you!

A few more questions actually.

If im supposed to sketch the function y = x^2 - lnx, and after i solve for the first derivative when y' = 0, i get x = +/- 1/square root 2, is the -1/square root 2 not included due to the fact that the domain on lnx is x>0? .

Also, if im solving for the y-int, y = 0^2 - ln0, when thers one undefined value, then the whole thign becomes undefined right?

Guest hellokitty818

How do you find the equation tangent to the graph y=x^(1/5) where x=a?? and show that the tangent equation intersects at the point (-4a,0)???

Edited by hellokitty818

How do you find the equation tangent to the graph y=x^(1/5) where x=a?? and show that the tangent equation intersects at the point (-4a,0)???

first question:

1. differentiate the graph equation

2. substitute x=a into dy/dx to find the m in y=mx+c (equation of tangent)

3. substitute x=a into the graph equation to find the c

4. combine them to find equation of tangent

second question, you mean intersects the x axis? just substitute y=0 into the equation of tangent.

guys one quick question,

in a cylinder, what do you call the circles on the top and bottom? also, what do you call the other surface thing?

I'm used to studying maths in indo so I only know what it's called in indo.. we didn't learn cylinder again in IGCSE and IB because we're assumed to have been very familiar with it. which I am but I'm not familiar with the English terminology.

just want to know what the surfaces are called. thank you!

barrel!!but that is more engineering terminology not mathematical...in math in our school they ues tub/side/face idk