I'm having trouble with two questions on my homework for related rates. Could someone possibly explain the approach to the question without giving the answer?

* A person 2 m tall walks away from a street light whose light is 5 m above the ground. If he walks at a speed of 1.5 m/s, at what rate does his shadow grow when he is 10 m away from the street light?

* A book 15 cm long rests against a vertical bookshelf. If the bottom of the book slides away from the bookshelf at a speed of 3 cm/s, how quickly is the top of the book sliding down the bookshelf when the bottom of the book is 2 cm away from the bookshelf?

Thank you!

#1 I can't draw out in my head, sorry :P

#2 is using Pythagorean Theory in rates.

The book, floor, and book shelf form a right triangle where the book is the hypotenuse and the floor/bookshelf are the legs.

The book doesn't change length so c=15.

a2+b2=152

Now differentiate it all.

2a(da)+2b(db)=225

We're going to call the floor a. So a=2 and da=3

If a=2, c=15, b=sqrt(225-4)=14.866

So back to the differentiated one...

2(2)(3)+2(14.886)(db)=225

Solve for db.

db=(225-12)/29.732

=7.16

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't your textbook designed specifically for IB? You needn't worry about it if you're in Pre-IB or the MYP right now. Just do your homework; if you're feeling shaky, purchase the course companion or study guide.

Also get your hands on past papers by asking your teacher, or just googling them. IBS does not host past paper links.

recheck your work.

1)

x +[(x-1)/(a+1)] > [(x+1)/(a+1)] - ax

x+[(x-1)/(a+1)]-[(x+1)/(a+1)]>-ax

x+(-2/a+1)>-ax

(-2/a+1)>-ax-x

2/(a+1)>ax+x

2/(a+1)>x(a+1)

2/(a+1)^2>x

If that's right, for all values of a, that equation should hold true. Sometimes that's the simplest it gets; you can't always have a numerical answer :D

2) This is what you do, I'm pretty sure... (for the sake of convenience I'll just use <)

|(3x/2)-7|<p-3

|1.5x-4|<p

Draw this graph, and figure out the range.

In this case, p cannot be less than 0. For reference, the cusp is at x=2+2/3

Someone check me?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

consider the equation: 2xy^2=x^2y+3

find y when x=1 and y>0

im using implicit derivative but i cant seem to find the answer...if someone were to answer by tonight it would be much appreciated

I might be looking at this way to simply but to me it looks like a simple quadratic equation.

Sub in x=1 gets you:

2y^2=y+3 --> 2y^2-y-3=0

When that is factorised you end up with (2y-3)(y+1)=0

Solved you get 1.5 and -1 and since y is greater than 0 the answer is 1.5

Edited by kiwi.at.heart

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this makes a little bullet like shape.

Now picture this as an "infinite" amount of thin discs forming the whole.

Each disc's "volume" would be the area of the circle where f(x)=radius. so you have the SUM of an infinite amount of pi(x1/2)2 which is just pi*x

Now to sum all these discs together is just the integral of x(pi) dx which is x2pi/2

The bounds are from 0 to a

This means that [a2pi/2]-[02pi/2]=0.845pi

That second part is just zero so,

a2pi/2=0.845pi

a2pi=1.690pi

a2=1.690

a=sqrt(1.690)=1.3

In general terms, when you are given a function rotating around the x axis it turns out to be the integral of [f(x)]2pi with whatever bounds you need. This is also if there is only one function, if there is two the little "discs" now have holes in them and complicates the integral part a little more.

Edited by Drake Glau