IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh quite a brilliant book. Don't think you can fall in love with it so much though if you aren't Indian.

Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje is almost a great read. A memoir-type of text, but really funny and after a few reads you start to get some really universal ideas out of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love the philosophic topics, and while most English A1 books are not quite as "deep" as I like, I had German A1 and my teacher loved existentialist literature so I was lucky on that part ;)

Books I liked in German A1

"The Plague" by Albert Camus- A great read + a buckload of symbolism and applications to life as a general (my favorite)

"Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Becket (I know its Eng A1 as well), I loved this, might have been boring in parts but the way that Beckett promotes his ideas, priceless

"Homo Faber" by Max Frisch- Also one of these great books that make you really think about how you want to live and what you want to do with your life

Books I liked in English A2

"The Glass Menagerie" by Tennessee Williams- I love the way this play seems (if it makes any sense) so surreal but still you feel the motivations and issues of each character and it somehow reflects issues you might have but weren't able to previously see

Overall, I think literature isn't (only? haha) to be fun/interesting, but meant to have a purpose beyond this and I believe that all of these books have each in their own way changed me a little bit

Edited by Aeronymous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is my second year in English A, I enjoyed most of the books we read :

The Getting of Wisdon- Handel Richardson

Medea- Euripides

The Tempest- Shakespeare

Things Fall Apart- Chinua Achebe

A Doll's House- Henrik Ibsen

I think those book are a must read for literature, I got to learn and connect to different periods and cultures. Also, My English teacher made me love them :)

Jihad

English A

This is my first year in English A. We've been reading plays so far, and I love "The Taming of the Shrew" and "A Streetcar named Desire". We've also been assigned books to read during the summer break, and my favorites are "One day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink.

Personally, though, I've read quite a lot of the books from the IB prescribed list, and my favorite is "Wuthering Heights"

And...just wondering, is "Gone with the Wind" on the list?