IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think I've read a single book in either Pre-IB or IB that I didnt' enjoy, but favourites would have to be The Outsider (or The Stranger, our copy is called The Outsider) by Albert Camus, or Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguru. You can't beat Shakespeare, either! And Like Water for Chocolate was really good, by Laura Esquivel.

I don't think I've read a single book in either Pre-IB or IB that I didnt' enjoy, but favourites would have to be The Outsider (or The Stranger, our copy is called The Outsider) by Albert Camus, or Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguru. You can't beat Shakespeare, either! And Like Water for Chocolate was really good, by Laura Esquivel.

Couldn't stand Like Water for Chocolate. At the risk of sounding inflammatory, it struck me as an overwrought piece of literature that attempts to subtly satirize modern romance novels, but it tends to achieve none of those things, at least not for me. Personally, I much preferred The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. Beautiful novel, IMHO.

None so far. Brave New World was OK, but I didn't like 1984 that much. Then again it's my first year of IB, so maybe there's a good book in there somewhere.

I agree with you, but I think Brave New World is not only the best book I've read in the IB, but in my entire life. I just love it.

• Like 1

From literature I loved "Crime and Punishment"- Fedor Dostoevsky, despite the evil long it is. And for philosophy, I loved "La era del vacio" (The age of emptiness) by Gilles Lipovetsky, I actually attended a conference he gave last month in my city! I totally loved, I want to be like him when I grow up!

None so far. Brave New World was OK, but I didn't like 1984 that much. Then again it's my first year of IB, so maybe there's a good book in there somewhere.

I agree with you, but I think Brave New World is not only the best book I've read in the IB, but in my entire life. I just love it.

Ööööög!!!! :D finally I find people who love A New Brave world as mush as I !!!! No one in my school has read it, 'cause we were not asked to by the teacher, I read it not for IB, actually read it before getting into IB, but I love it !!!! Totally,

Couldn't stand Like Water for Chocolate. At the risk of sounding inflammatory, it struck me as an overwrought piece of literature that attempts to subtly satirize modern romance novels, but it tends to achieve none of those things, at least not for me. Personally, I much preferred The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. Beautiful novel, IMHO.

Yeah, I guess I can understand that. But I didn't really focus on the romance novel aspect so much as the celebration/rejection of tradition. I guess it's because I don't read romance novels, so I don't really know what a satire of one would look like. Interesting that you didn't like it so much, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone here read "The Bluest Eye" or the "Heart of Darkness" ?!?!?

The heart of darkness is just so extremely dense. Anyone have any help to give on writing a written task 2 on either of them? Struggling :/

I totally agree, you must be a really great student at your school, whereever that is!