What is your least favourite IB class and why?

AirenMaxence

• 5 weeks later...

My least favourite class is the one where an assignment is due in... Not because I dislike doing the assignments but merely because, if it is rubbish, I will linger in my teachers' minds forever as 'the boy who did that terrible assignment'.

But if I were to 'play the game' and pick one subject it would be Theory of Knowledge (ToK). Am I supposed to be taking notes of what my teacher says? He seems to be jumping all over the place, like a fanatic mexican jumping bean, sputtering theories out of any hole which will sputter. It's alarmingly scary. Is this madness going to cause me to fail?

Many thanks,

brofessional.

P.S. That last question is a rhetoric one. But in all seriousness, have you guys/girls got any tips for doing well in ToK? Any books I should buy to gain this lateral thinking they speak of?

My least favourite class is the one where an assignment is due in... Not because I dislike doing the assignments but merely because, if it is rubbish, I will linger in my teachers' minds forever as 'the boy who did that terrible assignment'.

But if I were to 'play the game' and pick one subject it would be Theory of Knowledge (ToK). Am I supposed to be taking notes of what my teacher says? He seems to be jumping all over the place, like a fanatic mexican jumping bean, sputtering theories out of any hole which will sputter. It's alarmingly scary. Is this madness going to cause me to fail?

Many thanks,

brofessional.

P.S. That last question is a rhetoric one. But in all seriousness, have you guys/girls got any tips for doing well in ToK? Any books I should buy to gain this lateral thinking they speak of?

Don't worry too much about TOK at this point, you still have a long way to go. But if you want a great book to obtain that lateral thinking, read "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder. And afterwards if you want to know how to focus your TOK essay or how to do your TOK presentation, I recommend you to read the IB Book of TOK, called "IB Prepared: Approach your assessment the IB way - Theory of knowledge", which basically guides you through the whole process.

Hope it helps =)

• Like 1

Physics SL- GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY TEACHER?

I won't give a big rant in here but seriously, we do a lab report per week, I don't get the point of it. IB doesn't asks for 25 lab reports and that's what my teacher keeps repeating, she says that's the minimum so we will have to do them sooner or later. When I started IB I was all excited for Physics but now, I sincerely hate it. Plus, lemme tell you, I though it would be more interesting, the first unit about physical measurements was the most BORING thing I've ever seen in my life, a waste of time. I don't get the point of knowing the mass of the universe or a subparticle. What's the point of it? UGH. Furthermore, the teacher always get angry for every little thing or advice we give her, most commonly (when we're not mad at her) in a respecting way.

:chair: :chair: :chair:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Chemistry SL--we learn things without learning why...for example with periodicity we are told to notice the fluctuating trends here and there, but we can't explain them because we don't learn about orbitals. Frankly, chemistry SL is probably the class that will benefit me as a human being the least.

• 2 weeks later...

]

Ha, that's what our TOK lessons are sort of like. Actually, perhaps less interesting... Since we have 2 short TOK classes a week after other lessons, we get a convenient excuse for turning up late - which usually doesn't matter because we'll get there before the teacher does. I'm probably going to read up online/book resources for TOK, but based on our school's TOK record we should be alright.

I don't like my English classes right now. Firstly, it's by far our biggest IB class (2 classes of 20 people for HL, 10 in SL), apart from our big meeting for CAS every week. Secondly, we do our analysis so fast that I can barely keep up in class! I swear, I typed 3000 words of notes for a 100 minute class... Whilst this may be good for exams, I feel as though I'm stuck in some kind of awfully superficial analysis that we're just spouting out to sound good. Hopefully this will change!

History is quite content-heavy, so those classes are somewhat dominated by lots of names... and numbers... that I have to remember some time in the near future. Also, we get so much homework for it - lots of reading to do! But I do like it.

• 1 month later...

English B HL. We just sit in class, learning nothing, and getting assignments that won't help us at all, only taking up time. I guess I have myself to blame for taking the easy way out by not choosing A1 SL.

Edited by Ezak