Extended Essay

Survival Robot

i was thinking of doing mine in mathematics... something to do with statisitics

a statistical analysis of the relationship between a students attitude towards a subject and their performance in the subject.

how does that sound?

This sounds more like an IA topic, not something that you would do an EE in mathematics on. Math EEs are research-based and attempt to solve a problem of some sorts. For inspiration, try looking through math olympiad questions or through a more advanced textbook.

i was thinking of doing mine in mathematics... something to do with statisitics

a statistical analysis of the relationship between a students attitude towards a subject and their performance in the subject.

how does that sound?

This sounds more like an IA topic, not something that you would do an EE in mathematics on. Math EEs are research-based and attempt to solve a problem of some sorts. For inspiration, try looking through math olympiad questions or through a more advanced textbook.

i'll try to find another, thank you!

Hey guys!

I'm currently in the research phase of my EE. I'm doing it in Chemistry. Would this be a suitable topic to research? (see question below)

"What blend of ethanol and gasoline is the best to use in cars?"

Please give me some advice...

Thank you

Hey guys!

I'm currently in the research phase of my EE. I'm doing it in Chemistry. Would this be a suitable topic to research? (see question below)

"What blend of ethanol and gasoline is the best to use in cars?"

Please give me some advice...

Thank you

I see some problems with this. Are you going to measure the heat released? What type of cars? Different cars have different efficiencies, how is that going to enter your consideration? What type of gasoline? At least in my country, different makes of gasoline have different percentage composition. Are you able to get that information? If there are too many chemicals in the gasoline, it also introduces a lot of different variables. In your data analysis, how are you going to decide which chemical resulted in the better performance of x% ethanol and y% gasoline?

If you have solutions for these, then it's an ok topic I think.

Hi guys, I'm currently an IB1 student and I need to start thinking about titles. I'm doing HL Maths, Chemistry and Physics and would like to do my EE in one of them, preferably Chemistry though, as that's what I'd like to study in university.

I can't think of any questions for Chemistry but I've thought about a potential one for Physics; something to do with investigating the factors that affect the size of a hydraulic jump in a sink. A hydraulic jump is the 'ring' you get when a stream of water makes contact with a surface.

Hydraulic_jump_in_sink.jpg

My Physics teacher said the physics behind it is quite complex so I may lose theory marks.

Can anyone give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :)

Edited by Bude

i am just starting my EE and i want to make it unique

i was thinking of doing it in geo about the syria case study and adding some politics but i don't know what to do it about , HELP !!!!!

Pick a subject first, read all of the requirements for that subject, and then come up with an appropriate topic that fits all of that subject's guidelines.

i was thinking of doing it in geo about the syria case study and adding some politics but i don't know what to do it about , HELP !!!!!

Pick a subject first, read all of the requirements for that subject, and then come up with an appropriate topic that fits all of that subject's guidelines.

i decided to pick geography and i wanted to collect my own research since that is recommended , i live in dubai so i dunno what topics i may talk about suggestions would be great

i like the population studies but don't know how to phrase my question i i want to talk about how migration into the dubai has affected it economically, environmentally and socially

what do you think?

thanks

i decided to pick geography and i wanted to collect my own research since that is recommended , i live in dubai so i dunno what topics i may talk about suggestions would be great

i like the population studies but don't know how to phrase my question i i want to talk about how migration into the dubai has affected it economically, environmentally and socially

what do you think?

thanks

I'm not familiar with the requirements for geography so I can't really tell you if your question is good or not, but it seems like talking about economic, environmental, and social effects would be too much and it would be better to focus on one of these and not all of them.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I'm currently an IB1 student and I need to start thinking about titles. I'm doing HL Maths, Chemistry and Physics and would like to do my EE in one of them, preferably Chemistry though, as that's what I'd like to study in university.

I can't think of any questions for Chemistry but I've thought about a potential one for Physics; something to do with investigating the factors that affect the size of a hydraulic jump in a sink. A hydraulic jump is the 'ring' you get when a stream of water makes contact with a surface.

My Physics teacher said the physics behind it is quite complex so I may lose theory marks.

I agree with your teacher that it is too complex. It's not that you might lose theory marks. Multiple problems can surface with a complex idea. First, it may be difficult to control all your variables. The calculation involved will also be complicated. You have no idea how much of an expert your examiner will be in your area of investigation. Take the worst case scenario, maybe the examiner is completely clueless about this. Are you able to explain everything necessary in 4000 words in order for someone who knows nothing about this to completely understand what you are doing by your last word? And IB does get suspicious if it is a complex investigation done well. There have been cases in my school where students whose complicated EE done well were actually marked down because the examiner suspected that it wasn't the student's own work and the student got outside help.

• Like 1

I agree with your teacher that it is too complex. It's not that you might lose theory marks. Multiple problems can surface with a complex idea. First, it may be difficult to control all your variables. The calculation involved will also be complicated. You have no idea how much of an expert your examiner will be in your area of investigation. Take the worst case scenario, maybe the examiner is completely clueless about this. Are you able to explain everything necessary in 4000 words in order for someone who knows nothing about this to completely understand what you are doing by your last word? And IB does get suspicious if it is a complex investigation done well. There have been cases in my school where students whose complicated EE done well were actually marked down because the examiner suspected that it wasn't the student's own work and the student got outside help.

Thanks for your response. At the moment, I'm actually worried I won't be able to fill up 4000 words. I know it's just a guideline, but I think 3500 is pushing it, although my estimates could be really wrong. But I can't think of a topic for Chemistry at all.