IB courses you wish you hadn't taken, but did/do

flinquinnster

All subjects were set for me. I could choose if I wanted to do Maths, French and Bio SL or HL but that was it.

So, in the end, I had German HL, English HL, French HL and Maths HL, Bio SL and Geography SL.

But with the other Diploma I also had Chemistry, Physics, Italian, Sports, Art, History and Economics each at a level that was something between SL and HL. (And Computer Science and Robotics as some sort of extracurricular)

A lot of subjects were fun. Geography was really unnecessary... and people keep asking me why I took 3 Languages in HL but otherwise I can't really complain.

Something Philosophy or Psychology would've been cool though. :)

I regret taking both HL biology and SL Chemistry (Chemistry is my elective course) (We don't have chemistry HL at my school). I wish instead of chemistry I had taken HL music or HL psychology.

Double sciences have been really hard and stressful seeing as I'm not very good at the chemistry styled math (I'm doing fine in Math SL which is the highest math my school offers, I just can't seem to figure out the chemistry math).

Now next year when I have a free block I can either take a free block to help my IB Bio teacher set up labs (make auger plates, etc.) or I can take Pyschology HL as a 1 year course.

English A: Lit SL. It's compulsory but I hated coming to that class every week.

I also wish I took Chem SL instead of Psych HL. Psych was really interesting for the first year but then we got to our options and I began to find it mind-numbingly boring. I'd take Chem just because I've always wanted to take Chem and my lack of Chem is hurting my admission to some universities' faculities of sciences :(

I wish I hadn't taken both bio and chem HL. I have all those papers this week and I really should be studying, but I just don't give a sh*t any more.

I figure I'll get maybe a 6 in bio, but probably a 2 in chem lol. Whatever, I just want my diploma.

I actually regret taking Maths SL instead of Studies, cause I don't really need SL for anything and I consider it one massive waste of time.

this

And I'll probably stay in Poland, at least for undergraduate. And they consider math SL to be really standard. Like people from regular programme have tasks like log100-log(2)8 at final exams. And now some idiots will have more points cause they pass exams for retards ;[.

Yeah, I know. I could easily do most of the task on the Polish maths exam when I was in middle school. Their exams are a complete joke, they're easier than Studies.

I actually regret taking Maths SL instead of Studies, cause I don't really need SL for anything and I consider it one massive waste of time.

this

And I'll probably stay in Poland, at least for undergraduate. And they consider math SL to be really standard. Like people from regular programme have tasks like log100-log(2)8 at final exams. And now some idiots will have more points cause they pass exams for retards ;[.

Yeah, I know. I could easily do most of the task on the Polish maths exam when I was in middle school. Their exams are a complete joke, they're easier than Studies.

What's maths methods?

this

What's maths methods?

Maths SL. Cause Studies is an SL course, there's a distinction, but generally, even on the exams, Maths SL is just Maths SL.

this

What's maths methods?

Maths SL. Cause Studies is an SL course, there's a distinction, but generally, even on the exams, Maths SL is just Maths SL.

Ok so maths methods is just maths sl expressed in a fancier way. :)

Well firstly, I wish English A1 was a subject that I didn't have to take.

But more importantly, HISTORY. Choosing history was the worst decision I've made in the IB course because I actually hate reading through all the texts making notes, don't find it all too interesting and the syllabus is so wide and broad!

Chemistry. Just not that into any of the sciences.

Geography. I'm good at it but its boring and there are tons and tons to memorise. Even in SL.

Edited by JYC

I would have taken Economics HL instead of BM HL if my school offered Econ. Sadly, it doesn't, so I'm stuck with BM... If I'd have taken Econ HL, I'd be done with IB already and not studying right now (with short procrastination breaks of course! hence, me being here)......

In the beginning of 11th grade I chose both Physics HL and Biology SL, because both subjects were interesting to me during 10th grade. I also took History SL. But after a few months I really couldn't keep up with biology anymore and I decided to drop out. I wanted to take Economics HL, but the only Economics track was at the same time as the only History one. I had to switch out History for Economics and Biology for Business and Management SL. I was really enjoying History and I was pretty sad I had to move to get to Economics, but I could not stay in Biology any longer. Business and Management isn't that bad, but sometimes I wonder if I should have just taken Chemistry instead. I'm doing pretty well, but I'm not enjoying it very much.

Chemistry HL, for sure. It was my hardest class for all two years and I found out very late that I didn't even need it for the course I want to study at university (Biological Sciences). Depending on what I get on paper 2, it may determine whether or not I get into my top choice at all! I wish I had either done Chemistry SL or just dropped it altogether and done Economics HL, since that looks pretty straightforward. I was actually tricked into taking HL Chemistry because I did really well on the Pre-IB course. Assuming it was a good pointer at how hard HL would be was one of my biggest mistakes.

History HL was a lot of work and reviewing but given the chance I would maybe have switched that for Economics instead of doing so for Chemistry.

Oh well, it's all over now. Now I just have to sit and wait until July 6th to see if it was all worthwhile or not!

• 4 weeks later...