IB courses you wish you hadn't taken, but did/do

flinquinnster

I regret taking chemistry SL, because the material was so watered down compared to HL making the class ridiculously boring, and I ended up putting almost no effort into the course. Although I couldn't have taken chem HL anyway due to a schedule conflict.

Also English Literature HL. While I'm pretty good at writing essays, this literary analysis stuff is definitely not my strength :/

Edited by aldld

Yeah i wish I hadn't taken HL math simply because my grade suffered. I ended up getting a 5 on the exam. I'm pretty sure if I'd taken SL i would have gotten a 6 if not a 7. But overall the course was interesting, and my teacher was ok, so I stuck through it.

English Lit.

I'm not a native speaker, fluent, yes, but not native. I have only been studying in a full-English environment for 4 years (SK, grade 1, grade 10, grade 11).

↑So actually I SHOULD have had English B, or if I wanted to challenge myself, English Lang & Lit but NOT English Lit.

Suffering it but my school does not offer English lang & lit, Chinese lang & lit, or Chinese lit (if I took English B)

Currently hoping for a 6, but

English teacher: "Well she can get an easy 4 or 5..."

This course hurts me.

Time spent learning English in full-English environment:3 years excluding SK

Time spent living in full-English environment: 4 years

Time spent learning Chinese in full-Chinese environment: 5 years (Grade 2+3 for a year, skipped grade 4 entirely, 5+6 for a year, 7, 8, and 9)

Time spent living in full-Chinese environment:10 years

Literature is very different from language, it requires time to build up the experience. Which is the (currently shown) biggest problem to me caused by skipping grades. I have read a lot of literature in both languages, but have not much experience in analyzing them, which (seems to be) a natural thing for my classmates in both China and Canada. :(

It would have been much better if only I have taken English Lang & Lit...

• 2 months later...

I regret so much not taking Math HL. It was truly a pain for me to notice later at University how useful Math HL would have been. The class itself (Math SL) wasn't that hard, but it definitely had its tricks. However, i wanted to pursue more mathematical knowledge as i'm planning to major in math and get an additional boost for my university career. Nonetheless, i was forced by my school to take Math SL as they didn't offer that course.

I'm suffering at uni right now because i have to teach myself complex numbers, additional trig identities, vectors, and woah. If Calculus wasn't hard enough man.

• 1 month later...
Guest xheloise

I wish I had taken IB Art Photo instead of IB Music because the teacher had us studying the wrong pieces of music the entire year and I basically accomplished nothing in that class. Even with a background in music would not save you if you have an unwilling teacher.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't say I regret taking HL Physics because I learned a lot from it but it really has been a very tough subject. I have dedicated a lot of energy and time into this subject and yet it is my lowest predicted grade. But maybe it will help me as a learner and I can view positively as a challenge that was worth it rather than something I regret taking.