What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

I find that studying a book in english class generally saps the joy from it. For example: My class only studied the first part of Great Expectations. I could hardly stand it. Then, on my own time and without the actual need to I finished it and enjoyed the rest of the book.

Though Such a Long Journey was painful. It was just that: such a long journey.

Even thought it was the summer reading for sophmore year (Pre-IB), the worst book I've ever had to read was The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.

But I'm scared so many people disliked Things Fall Apart, that's currently what I'm reading, but I find it hard to get interested in.

The books I have hated were

Heart of Darkness

Madame Bovary

Heat and Dust

Like Water for Chocolate

I don't know why, I just couldn't stand those books. Although, to be honest, I gave up on three of them and just used the sparknotes for them instead. Like Water For Chocolate was an easy read, but just so lame.

Recent Reads:

The Picture of Dorian Grey: Enjoyed it a lot.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being: Very very boring. Didn't dislike it, just not worth my time.

Blindness: Pretty good but I didn't like it that much. I recognize why it's good though.

Ishmael: AMAZING!!! DEFINITE MUST READ!!! (Sorry for the caps ^________^)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...