What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

There isnt many books that I have despised but two that have stuck with me as being painful to read was back in year 9 I had to read Lord of the Flies and in year 11 i had to read The Outsider for IB. Thankfully that book was a World Lit option so I never had to reread it and I could avoid it at all costs, but I still remember the struggle to get through one chapter, let alone the book, when I'm a person who usually like to read a whole book in one sitting.

I hated Like Water for Chocolate! Most of my class loved it and even my dad, a Spanish teacher, said that it was better than most IB books u.u

I guess I could be biased though, because I read that book after reading "The House of the Spirits", and after that novels don't impress me anymore XD

• 2 weeks later...

"An imaginary life" by david malouf can go kill itself. Really, another novel about the meaning of life? Cliche... it's a shame because considering the characters and setting it could be so good. but for every page of actual storyline, there are 10 pages of pondering about the philosophical significance about the lack of language of spiders and whatnot. Soooo baaaad.

Hmm...

Hate is a powerful word for me to use for Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, but I must admit I disliked it while reading. Then, larger part of The Stranger. In fact, only the beginning of it. It was a little bit depressing and boring for me to read and it didn't make any sense.

There are a couple of books that I've disliked.

But there are few that I haver really hated: Heart of Darkness (ew too much description, boring plotline, hard to read, complicated english) and Werther (just annoying and I had to do my WL essay on this)

I also disliked deeply When the Legends Die (I read this in 8th grade though)

Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse and The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh were both pretty difficult to get through. They were both works in translation and the language used wasn't difficult, but they were horrifically boring. I wouldn't say I absolutely hated them but I definitely won't be looking back on the classes spent analysing either novel very fondly.

• 4 weeks later...