General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

How does Internal Assessment work for Chemistry and Physics?

It says in the chemistry book that "The mark you receive out of 48 is then divided by 2 to give a mark out of 24 which constitutes the IA component (maximum 24%) of your final assessment mark"

Does this mean that if i get 48 IA points, I can have 24% more mistakes on the exam?

I've heard that you can get approximately 30% wrong on a physics test and still receive the mark 7. If i then get 40 IA points, can i then have as much as 50% WRONG on the exam papers and still get a mark 7?

No :P

The IA mark for chemistry and physics works like this: You get 12 points in your design, 12 for data processing, and 12 for conclusion. This is why you submit two labs for each aspect. The remaining 12 points comes from Group 4 and from manipulative skills (basically can you measure things and not set yourself on fire). Added up this gives you a score out of 48 points. The reason they divide it in half is because that's a lot of weight to give to an IA. And no, you can't make 24% more mistakes on the exam. Although scoring well on your IA gives you a bit of leeway on the exams, you still want to do well in case your IA gets moderated down (which often happens).

The physics grade boundaries change every year, but a 7 is roughly about 70%. This is because the exam is hard and the boundaries are therefore lower than other subjects. So again no, if you get 40 IA points (which then turns to 20) you wouldn't want to miss 50% on the exam.

So how much does the IA affect the final grade then?

Lets say that 70% is the boundary for a 7 this year, and the sensor gives me 46 IA points. How many percent would that boundary of 70% approximately drop? Down to 68%? 57%? 50%?

The IA is worth 24% of your grade and the exam is worth 76%. Paper 1 is worth 20%, 2 worth 36%, and 3 20%.

The examiners take whatever your final IA score is and multiply it by .24 and each part of your exam (so your score from paper 1 by .20, paper 2 score by .36, and paper 3 score by .20) and add them up to get your total score. The total score will determine if you get a 7 or not.

Hey, does anyone know what a "good" Internal assessment score is?

I've recently turned in my IAs for most of my classes and I don't know what number score I should expect, having done a good job.

for my latin, I think i got a 24/30. My teachers are not helping- is this an okay score?

SL Latin

HL Biology

SL Math

HL History

HL English

SL Music

One thing I'm wondering is how MYP compares to DP in difficulty, stress, etc. The IBO website says that MYP provides an easy transition into the Diploma Programme, but people on here are often joking about "how easy" pre-IBers and MYPers have it. What is your opinion, if you did MYP?

Right now I'm taking honors level Chemistry, Algebra II and Trigonometry, which are definitely considered by the school to be advanced courses for my grade level. I don't have much of a problem with my current workload, although I do stay up late due to my tendency to procrastinate a lot... I am trying to get that under control, and I'm getting better. I am planning on taking four HLs (it will work best with my school's program) in Physics, Maths, Japanese, and Psychology, and SL History and English. How do you predict that I personally will find the change from Middle Years to Diploma Programme?

Edited by mepilokisazt

Hello everyone! :peek:

I'm a first year Ib student and I have to submit my Extended Essay Question by tomorrow! :unsure:

Basically, I know what I want my Question to be about, but I don't know how should I present it and in what terms....

I want my Question to be about '' Fur in the Fashion industry and its pro and con judgments and opinions''

Now as you can see I want to become a Fashion Designer.. :king:

So, I really want this essay to help me for my College application.

any question recommendations regarding this topic I'm choosing? Please.. :)

Thanks... :)

Edited by Mary Tudor

One thing I'm wondering is how MYP compares to DP in difficulty, stress, etc. The IBO website says that MYP provides an easy transition into the Diploma Programme, but people on here are often joking about "how easy" pre-IBers and MYPers have it. What is your opinion, if you did MYP?

Right now I'm taking honors level Chemistry, Algebra II and Trigonometry, which are definitely considered by the school to be advanced courses for my grade level. I don't have much of a problem with my current workload, although I do stay up late due to my tendency to procrastinate a lot... I am trying to get that under control, and I'm getting better. I am planning on taking four HLs (it will work best with my school's program) in Physics, Maths, Japanese, and Psychology, and SL History and English. How do you predict that I personally will find the change from Middle Years to Diploma Programme?

Personally this will depend on what kind of a student you are. IB courses >>>>>>>>>>>>> any kind of Pre-IB course in terms of difficulty or workload, so just keep that in mind. You may struggle initially at the beginning as you get used to actual diploma work, but within a few weeks you should be fine. I didn't have much problem transitioning, the only things I really had to adjust to were writing history essays at the level that was required and actually reading the books for English :lol: You can do it!

I'm a first year Ib student and I have to submit my Extended Essay Question by tomorrow! :unsure:

Basically, I know what I want my Question to be about, but I don't know how should I present it and in what terms....

I want my Question to be about '' Fur in the Fashion industry and its pro and con judgments and opinions''

No offense but I don't think this question is going to work out. I advise you to change it immediately! Why? Because this really doesn't fall under any subject that the IB offers, and you EE must be based around one subject. It must fit absolutely into that one subject--not two or three or be a wishy-washy subject. Even though you really like this topic and it relates to what you want to do, you need to either change it so it fits in a subject or forget about it and do something else. What else are you interested in? What subjects do you do that you really like? Look at those for good starting points. I, for example, like history, so I chose to do a history EE even though I'm not doing history at uni. Actually I'm doing chemistry in uni, but history EEs are a hundred times easier than chemistry EEs :P Your EE doesn't have to relate to your career interests. :)

• Like 1

Personally this will depend on what kind of a student you are. IB courses >>>>>>>>>>>>> any kind of Pre-IB course in terms of difficulty or workload, so just keep that in mind. You may struggle initially at the beginning as you get used to actual diploma work, but within a few weeks you should be fine. I didn't have much problem transitioning, the only things I really had to adjust to were writing history essays at the level that was required and actually reading the books for English :lol: You can do it!

No offense but I don't think this question is going to work out. I advise you to change it immediately! Why? Because this really doesn't fall under any subject that the IB offers, and you EE must be based around one subject. It must fit absolutely into that one subject--not two or three or be a wishy-washy subject. Even though you really like this topic and it relates to what you want to do, you need to either change it so it fits in a subject or forget about it and do something else. What else are you interested in? What subjects do you do that you really like? Look at those for good starting points. I, for example, like history, so I chose to do a history EE even though I'm not doing history at uni. Actually I'm doing chemistry in uni, but history EEs are a hundred times easier than chemistry EEs :P Your EE doesn't have to relate to your career interests. :)

Thanks a lot Emy! :) but its ok, my previous art teacher from my old school helped me with this, but ill tell you what my subject is, its basically counted as visual arts, and the question which I'm join to do my research on is wether fur is ethical to be used in the fashion industry or not! :P

Thanks again... :)

Results come out on the 5th July, so if you pass then you officially have been awarded the diploma at that point :) The piece of paper that's supposedly the 'Diploma' I think you can get a few months later. My school sent mine to me in the post in October of the same year, but I'm sure they must have had it earlier than that! I know several people on the forum have said their schools had little ceremonies with special cloaks, hats, belts, ribbons, speeches etc. to celebrate, and if that's the case, maybe they'd give you the piece of paper then.

Quick question about English A1: Literature, can my my I.O.P and EE (also A1) be about the same thing? Thanks :)

I don't think you can use the exact same work, but you can probably use the same author again as long as the works were different (like if you did your IOP on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, you could do your EE on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). I know, bad examples, but you get my point :P

Guest Positron

I would like to know if the IBO actually follows its policy of student's age, can I go having a gap year if I'm 17 and get back finishing my IB studies when I'm 18 going on 19???

I don't know IBO's policy on exchange/gap years, but anyways IB is for students aged 16-19, so there shouldn't be any problems. For example, here in Finland we go to the 1st grade when we're 7, so most of us will be 19 at the end of high school.

I would like to know if the IBO actually follows its policy of student's age, can I go having a gap year if I'm 17 and get back finishing my IB studies when I'm 18 going on 19???

I've just turned 18, I'm in IB1, I'll be 19 while taking my exams. As will be all my classmates. There are even some students taking exams at my school who were on exchange and they take their exams being 20. :)

does anyone know where to put the word count for the Historical investigation? cover page, after the conclusion, what?

and for the headings do you say, for example, "Part A: Plan of Investigation" or can you just say "A. Plan of Investigation"?

thank you

My teacher had us put a total word count on our title page as well as the individual word counts for each section, and have "Part A: Plan of Investigation" as our headings. It really just depends on how your teacher wants it. But be consistent in your format and you will be OK.

So that DOES mean that if I get 48 IA points, 24% of my grade will be a 7, meaning that i can get 24% more mistakes on the P1, P2 and P3 percentage limit for a 7, than if I did not have any IA points at all... ?

Not quite. Basically, each section of assessment (paper 1, paper 2, paper 3, IA) is written by chief examiners. After the exam has been sat, the Chief Examiners get together and mark some of each assessment task. Once they've sampled a wide-enough range, they start deciding upon grade boundaries based upon what they believe is reasonable to expect from a student to get a 7, to get a 6, etc. That's how the individual grade boundaries for each assessment are created. I know Chem IAs last year had a 7 boundary of 39/48. Then, however, in order to create a 7 cut-off for the subject overall, the marks from each of these assessments are given different weights (i.e., your Science IA score is divided by 2, to give a score out of 24) in order to add up to a total score out of 100, and thus the overall 7 cut-off is determined by weighting each of the component 7 cut-offs in the same fashion (i.e. Chem IA becomes 19.5/24), with these cut-offs added together.

The above is confusing, so I'll use November 2011 History SL as an example, as I went through the process already. Basically, the IA was out of 25, Paper 1 was out of 25 and Paper 2 out of 40. The IBO chief examiners got together to mark some assessments and set the grade boundaries at around 19/25 for the IA, 17/25 for Paper 1 and 25/40 for Paper 2, from memory. I The IA mark was left unweighted, i.e. it made up 25 of the cumulative assessment points, so from there comes 19 marks towards a 7. Paper 1 was weighted at 30% from there comes 18*(30/25) of the cumulative assessment points. Paper 2 was weighted at 45% of final assessment, so from there comes 26*(45/40) points.

19 + 17*(30/25) + 26*(45/40) = 68.65/100 total for a 7.

That's the best of my knowledge as to the method they use. As for what this means in relation to your question about what getting full marks on IAs would mean; yes obtaining full marks on IAs would give you some more breathing room on the exam, but not close 24%'s worth. Besides, between the potential for moderation and bombing exams, you should take nothing for granted.

Also, this should probably be in the Experimental Sciences subforum.

Hey, does anyone know what a "good" Internal assessment score is?

I've recently turned in my IAs for most of my classes and I don't know what number score I should expect, having done a good job.

for my latin, I think i got a 24/30. My teachers are not helping- is this an okay score?

SL Latin

HL Biology

SL Math

HL History

HL English

SL Music

Varies entirely from subject to subject, and year to year, based on the grade boundaries. In Latin SL, the 7 boundary is 24+. I've attached a copy of the most recent available grade boundaries, however bear in mind these may change, and that the grade your teacher gives you may well be changed by the IBO anyways.

This should probably be in the EE subforum, but nonetheless:

I don't even see how this topic would qualify as Visual Arts, as its dealing heavily with a sociocultural/ethical issue. The only place I can see it fitting in well is as a Group 2 Language (second language) essay, and even then it must be specifically focused on a country which speaks the language the EE is written in. You could also MAYBE do it as a Social and Cultural Anthropology essay, but that would be VERY risky as if you haven't done the subject you're likely to obtain a poor score due to writing a generalised essay and not an academic essay in the subject of anthropology. In short, I'd recommend you choose a more suitable topic.

Quick question about English A1: Literature, can my my I.O.P and EE (also A1) be about the same thing? Thanks :)

Same book should be fine, as long as the aspect chosen is wholly different.

does anyone know where to put the word count for the Historical investigation? cover page, after the conclusion, what?

and for the headings do you say, for example, "Part A: Plan of Investigation" or can you just say "A. Plan of Investigation"?

thank you

This should probably be in the History subforum, but nonetheless:

Former question: I'm fairly sure the criteria demand that it is clearly and prominently displayed on the cover page. Anywhere else in addition to this is optional, and probably unnecessary.

Latter question: Whichever you wish, as long as its consistent with your table of contents. The second one saves words.

IB Grade Boundaries 2011.pdf

Another Question... :D

The English Written Task 2,

our teacher told us that we have to write it like the gcse literature form, as in: point, quote, explanation

any recommendations on how should i plan my work and how to score a 6 or 7? plz..:)

thanks!

p.s. we read things fall apart and i may do the question on which group has been excluded!;)