General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

What are the GPA equivalents of IB scores? For instance a 7 is a 4.3...and so on.

It depends on how your school and eventually university does GPA. At my school our IB scores do not affect our GPAs, they're separate. Contact your school and see what they do :)

Guest Positron

I've read that one is allowed to do his/her EE in any subject (other than ab initio), even if he/she hadn't studied that subject. So, does this mean that someone who is taking, let's say, English Literature HL (and is a native speaker), could do his/her EE on English B? Of course it wouldn't be an automatic A, but a bit easier at least...

I've read that one is allowed to do his/her EE in any subject (other than ab initio), even if he/she hadn't studied that subject. So, does this mean that someone who is taking, let's say, English Literature HL (and is a native speaker), could do his/her EE on English B? Of course it wouldn't be an automatic A, but a bit easier at least...

I think there's an exception for languages. At least, I'd be very surprised if there weren't! Although B subject EEs are sort-of about culture a little more than about the quality of the language that they're written in, so we were told at my school. However, I didn't opt to do one so I'm not 100%.

If this is a loophole (and I suspect it's not!) it would indeed be very devious.

From the IB Extended Essay Guide itself:

A group 2 extended essay is intended for students who are studying a second modern language. Students may not write a group 2 extended essay in a language that they are offering as a language A1 for their diploma.

So no, you can't. Stop being lazy.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys! does anyone know when the IAs, EE, Tok and CAS are sent to be externally moderated for November 2012? i am late for all of them and want to know just how much time i have to finish them...!

For the May session, usually things are mailed in March. So I'm assuming that for the November session, they would be sent out around September. So get a move on!

Also, CAS is not normally sent out to be externally moderated, what happens (unless the IB has requested samples for some reason) is that your IB coordinator will receive each student's CAS work and reflections and fill out a form saying that you did complete it or did not complete it, and that's basically it.

Guest Linnsan

If you get the bilingual diploma as a non-native speaker of English.. what could I call that in for example a CV when looking for a job? Do I just say that I'm considered a native speaker because I got a "bilingual diploma", or is there any other name for it?

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the bilingual diploma as a non-native speaker of English.. what could I call that in for example a CV when looking for a job? Do I just say that I'm considered a native speaker because I got a "bilingual diploma", or is there any other name for it?

I would personally use the term "Bilingual Diploma", such as "Has achieved a IB Bilingual Diploma in x and y languages".

in a class, do all of the students' CAS portfolios get turned in? or do people get randomly selected?

and what are the CAS requirements for 2013? (as in what is absolutely necessary)

does anyone have a link for this ^ ? please help.

From what I know, CAS Supervisors send of a sample size of the IB class doing CAS. e.g. For every 50 IB diploma students, 3 CAS portfolios are sent off.

However, I don't know exact numbers, or if the students are notified that their portfolios are the ones being sent off.

As for the specific CAS requirements, it differs depending on how your school implements it. I think the general requirements is that you need at least one long-term project, one activity that covers two disciplines (e.g. creativity and action), one activity that is overseas (not sure about this one) and GENERALLY in total is 150 hours, although this was the old guideline and personally my school doesn't use that guideline anymore.

well then which guideline does your school use if I may ask? :)

Guidelines which my school has made up which fit under the IB criteria but is more specific. The guidelines I mentioned before should be the guidelines that the IBO themselves implement, but you should ask your IB supervisor just to double check what and how your school does it.

hi guys, i was wondering if the first predicted grades we receive in september actually include TOK/EE which would be out of 45 or is it out of 42? Thanks!

That depends on whether you've completed them already and on how your school does predicted grades, because each school does them differently.

• 3 weeks later...