General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

hi guys i'm fiqri from Malaysia

I am schedule to enroll to MARA College Banting this 28 June and of course I have to take the IB programme since this is the only prog that they offer there. so, I new at this. can you explain to me about this prog because I've tried to read the article at IBO webpage but I still don't understand about the execution of this program so please help me with this. Every answer from all of you is very much appreciated. Thank you

Look at first pages. There are anwers to lots of really basic questions and everything is nicely explained :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've heard from friends that the language level 'A2' is going to be discontinued, is there any truth to this?

That is true. For the people taking their exams in MAY 2013 ONWARDS they can't choose an A2 language. There's still B SL, HL, and ab initio courses. Also the language A1 syllabus has changed, and there's now two options: Literature (essentially the old A1 course with a few things changed here and there) and Language and Literature (very similar to the current A2 course).

• 4 weeks later...

How much is the registration fee?

Depends on the school. Some IB schools are free.

When do I get to know what I got for my Extended Essay? Is it when I get my exam results back? What about the IAs (some teachers are telling us as we are doing them but some are not)?

You get it with your IB results. You know what grade you got, but the actual score you get with the grade breakdown which you have to ask your IBC for. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm going to start the IB next year, and I just wanted to know how much time can an IB student afford to spend on extra-curricular activities, without majorly affecting your overall grade? I don't mind being busy and maybe sacrificing some hangouts as I do many activities with friends already.

I just wanted a brief idea whether I might need to cut down on extra-curricular activities a bit to suit the workload.

The subjects that I'm planning on taking are: HL English Literature, HL Biology, HL Economics, SL Chinese B, SL Mathematics and SL Psychology.

Thanks. :)

Hi,

I'm going to start the IB next year, and I just wanted to know how much time can an IB student afford to spend on extra-curricular activities, without majorly affecting your overall grade? I don't mind being busy and maybe sacrificing some hangouts as I do many activities with friends already.

I just wanted a brief idea whether I might need to cut down on extra-curricular activities a bit to suit the workload.

The subjects that I'm planning on taking are: HL English Literature, HL Biology, HL Economics, SL Chinese B, SL Mathematics and SL Psychology.

Thanks. :)

I spend around 10h/week on extracurriculars and I'm not that busy. (Or rather, it varies: sometimes I can sit and read the whole evening and sometimes I can barely find time to fit in all the school work along with the ECs) But mind you, I have different subjects than you do and, I think, the workload varies between schools. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in 10th grade pre-IB and I was wondering exactly how IB works. I've seen a lot of HL and SL on this forum and am a little bit confused about what they mean. I would appreciate it if you guys could explain to my about how the entire IB system works. Thank you!

HL means Higher Level... and it usually is a much more difficult study of that subject...

I would recommend choosing subjects that you really enjoy

SL means Standard Level and these are subjects that are easier to score in as well as studied at a lower level obviously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi im wondering, how much does the internal assessments actually count? I mean officially I know they stand for 25% of your grade, but I find it hard to believe that the IB actually does calculations to find your absolut final grade..Isn't your final grade usually just the one you get on final exams?