General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

I'm doing my first year of the full IB classes, and I was wondering if its even worth it to do full IB? Like would colleges even look at it? I've heard that they don't and it doesn't really matter, if this is true then I don't want to take all the 7 IB tests I'm planning to take. So, for any of you guys, did it help at all? I'd rather not stay up to like 1am every day to do all the homework, essays, and studying.

Take the full diploma. It's better than 7 certificates. Also, you won't be studying up until 1 AM. You just need to manage your time properly.

• Like 1

I'm doing my first year of the full IB classes, and I was wondering if its even worth it to do full IB? Like would colleges even look at it? I've heard that they don't and it doesn't really matter, if this is true then I don't want to take all the 7 IB tests I'm planning to take. So, for any of you guys, did it help at all? I'd rather not stay up to like 1am every day to do all the homework, essays, and studying.

Take the full diploma. It's better than 7 certificates. Also, you won't be studying up until 1 AM. You just need to manage your time properly.

I have a sport that takes up 3- 6 hours everyday, hopefully when its done I won't be up to 1 am, Thank you.

Edited by roadrunner0313

Anyone know the extent of the syllabus change from the one back in 2012? I'm retaking some of my exams, and was wondering what I'd have to study with the new syllabus - I heard Maths is changing, so is French and English but I will not be retaking those.

Here is a list of changes of syllabi from 2012 to 2013: (I'll list all of those that I know, even if you aren't re-taking them)

• Languages A1: A2 has been eliminated, and A1 has been split into Literature and Language/Literature (more information: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/18405-a-literature-literature-and-language-an-explanation/)
  • Languages B: HL has extra writing parts of Paper 2 (Section A and B), both HL and SL have an additional task called the Written Assignment (a type of IA, done in class time; HL uses literature, SL uses sources like news articles based on a core topic like racism)
  • Group 3: I think it depends on your subject, but Psychology hasn't changed from 2012
  • Group 4: Same syllabus, follows the 2009 for first examinations in 2011 syllabus
  • Maths: no change, it affects the examinations in 2014. The IA has been changed significantly in that a set topic is not given by the IBO and the student picks what topic their IA is based on (for SL at least)
  • Group 6: I don't know

Good luck on your retakes!

• Like 1

Anyone know the extent of the syllabus change from the one back in 2012? I'm retaking some of my exams, and was wondering what I'd have to study with the new syllabus - I heard Maths is changing, so is French and English but I will not be retaking those.

Here is a list of changes of syllabi from 2012 to 2013: (I'll list all of those that I know, even if you aren't re-taking them)

• Languages A1: A2 has been eliminated, and A1 has been split into Literature and Language/Literature (more information: http://www.ibsurviva...an-explanation/)
  • Languages B: HL has extra writing parts of Paper 2 (Section A and B), both HL and SL have an additional task called the Written Assignment (a type of IA, done in class time; HL uses literature, SL uses sources like news articles based on a core topic like racism)
  • Group 3: I think it depends on your subject, but Psychology hasn't changed from 2012
  • Group 4: Same syllabus, follows the 2009 for first examinations in 2011 syllabus
  • Maths: no change, it affects the examinations in 2014. The IA has been changed significantly in that a set topic is not given by the IBO and the student picks what topic their IA is based on (for SL at least)
  • Group 6: I don't know

Good luck on your retakes!

That's good news. I just have to go over what I supposedly learnt last year! Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Im completely brand new to IB. I've been going to IB school for a month now and its very overwhelming(CAS + EE + all the classes) considering i just came from an american public school. Everyone is always trying to explain everything and tell me i'll be fine but they don't know what its like... Is it possible to be held back? Im 11th grade DP. I take english, psych, econ HL and ess, math, spanish SL. Any tips for surviving?! because idk rite now and i know i have exams in may and then in 12th grade there are mocks? I'd really appreciate the advice..

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first of all, time management is key. Block your time, prioritize, and try to eliminate distractions to your studying. I'd recommend staying a week ahead of each of your classes - i know it may seem hard to get ahead now, but if you manage to do it, i think you'll find that everything will become much easier and you'll have a better comprehension of the material. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

After surviving IB, is it really worth it? :headbang:

Heh, I'd hope so :D

Actually though, I have several friends who completed their diploma last year, and are off in college now. From what I hear from them, it definitely is good preparation for college work, moreso if you're going into a STEM program...

Also, you get a sweet medal, makes all the endless crunch time worth it.. right? right?!

Also, you get a sweet medal, makes all the endless crunch time worth it.. right? right?!

Medal? All we got were our IB diplomas....in December after we graduated. I obviously went to the wrong high school! :P

University work is still hard and covers way more than in IB courses (especially math) but at least you're used to working hard, especially if you choose a challenging major.

• 2 weeks later...

Im completely brand new to IB. I've been going to IB school for a month now and its very overwhelming(CAS + EE + all the classes) considering i just came from an american public school. Everyone is always trying to explain everything and tell me i'll be fine but they don't know what its like... Is it possible to be held back? Im 11th grade DP. I take english, psych, econ HL and ess, math, spanish SL. Any tips for surviving?! because idk rite now and i know i have exams in may and then in 12th grade there are mocks? I'd really appreciate the advice..

Tip 1: Judging by your spelling, drop English (or consider English B).

Tip 2: take CAS and TOK at SL NOT HL!!! Trust me it's hell taking 2 years of TOK HL!!

Tip 3: When it comes to mocks, spend every hour of every day preparing for them...forget the IA's and EE, they will not get you into college.

I am an IB TOK examiner, can someone explain to me what is TOK all about? II have papers to mark for tomorrow!!! Is there any marking criteria?

Don't really think you're a TOK examiner if your exams are in May 2013, the Nov 2012 class have already got their results, the May 2013 class haven't officially submitted the essay, and you don't know what TOK is all about... Actually ignore the last one, many don't know what TOK is about even after graduation.

Nevertheless, here's the marking criteria: http://mrhoyestokwebsite.com/

Go to Essays > Compulsory Documentation > Mark Scheme

I have heard a silly myth about the IB Diploma and I don't know if it is true or not. Would be awesome if you guys knew. So the myth is that if a girl is pregnant during her course of studying the IB Diploma she will get two extra points. Haha, it sounds really ridiculous, but in my school the belief is pretty widespread it seems (no one has gotten pregnant as of my knowledge)!

• Like 1

I have heard a silly myth about the IB Diploma and I don't know if it is true or not. Would be awesome if you guys knew. So the myth is that if a girl is pregnant during her course of studying the IB Diploma she will get two extra points. Haha, it sounds really ridiculous, but in my school the belief is pretty widespread it seems (no one has gotten pregnant as of my knowledge)!

LOL thanks for the good laugh XD

I think this is something someone in your school started up to mess with people, otherwise there'd be a lot more pregnant teenagers.

Hahahahaha, oh man. Trust me, not true. But, hilarious rumor to start...

• 1 month later...