General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

I want to study law, i'm pretty sure that i will be able to have >38 points.

Im only scared about this certificate because i wont have a time to sit CAE in the third class.

At my school i can only get English A1. And i have to get it HL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

24 points for diploma, out of a possible 45, no?

You can take HL for any class, and SL for any class?

I know I want to take 4 HL and 2 SL.

Pick your worst two subjects for SL? Or what?

You do need 24 out of 45 to pass, if not you don't receive the diploma bahaha!

Only if you get a D or above in EE/TOK. If you get an E in either one, you have to get 28 points to pass. There are some other failing conditions too, which I forgot atm. :blush:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard that it's possible to self-study a group 1 subject, but do other groups allow for this as well? If so, can somebody clarify the process? My school said that once a qualified teacher for the subject is found, the school will print out necessary materials and I'll have to buy the textbooks. Then, I can study with the chosen teacher. Does that process sound about right?

I've heard that it's possible to self-study a group 1 subject, but do other groups allow for this as well? If so, can somebody clarify the process? My school said that once a qualified teacher for the subject is found, the school will print out necessary materials and I'll have to buy the textbooks. Then, I can study with the chosen teacher. Does that process sound about right?

There's currently kids at my school doing self study History HL, Chinese A1, and French and Spanish A2. This is all because of scheduling conflicts though--they couldn't fit the classes they needed in their schedule, so the teachers worked out some sort of self study thing. I'm not sure exactly what the process was, but its definitely possible, and what you described definitely sounds right.

Ya, that was a bit confusing. What is a IA? What does CAS mean (for example who do I get hours of each)? What is a mock? What is the significance of the syllabus?

You don't need to know what the technicalities in IB are at the moment. That can wait until after you've joined IB: your teacher will fill you in on these items. If you're deciding whether IB is for or not for you, you should be either talking to your IBC (IB Coordinator) or current/past IB students. :yes:

Hey Irene, you form China? what school do you go too?

Oh and hey do the reports in school make a difference in IB results or anything?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new on the forums :) . I'm currently in 9th grade, and I'm applying for Pre-IB for Gr. 10.

Right now I'm stuck on the application. We have to write a biography about our educational and extra curricular interests. The thing is, I don't know how to explain either; it also doesn't help that I do next to no extracurriculars.

I used to take piano lessons, but I never practiced and dropped it. Right now I am in Girl Guides, and take swimming lessons (the last level before the lifeguard courses). These 2 extracurriculars seem extremely insignificant to me. Almost everyone I know plays an instrument, or they do a sport. Does track and field count? I participate in it, but it's only during spring.

Another part of the biography is saying what we can contribute to the IB. I'm clueless about this part. -feeling like an idiot while typing this-

The only positive thing is that my grades are mainly A's and a few B's. I'm mainly worried about the extra curricular part; is it a necessary part of getting into the program?

Ack, not to mention the entrance exam..

Maybe I should change my mind about this :P

Sorry for the long rant; also apologies if this counts as necroing the thread XD

Edit: Ok guys, you can just disregard this; I handed in my application today :P Hope I do well on the exam :)

Edited by StarDreams

• 2 weeks later...

im currently going through the first year of IB,

and i just had a question.

i am taking IB Art SL right now and people are able to test out in one year or two years.

i am planning to take IB Physics SL next year as one-year course because I will be done with the highest math provided at our school; therefore i will have a free period.

i have three choices of what i cand do next year.

1) test out of art this year, if i like the score keep it & still take physics but not test out... but if the score is bad, drop art score and test out of physics. then, for the free period (since physics replaced art) take IB Biology for a year just to take the class, not testing out.

2) test out of art next year, which means ill have to choose between testing out of physics or art next year? (any comments on which one is "easier" to get a higher score?) this also means i wont have the chance to take IB Biology.

3) don't even consider testing out of art this year, test out of physics next year, and take bio along with physics.

what do you guys think i should do?? i need to decide if im testing out of art this year or not in few days.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys; I'm veery new to IB, so you'll have to be a little patient :) I've got some questions...?

1. What's the scariest thing about IB?

2. What is TOK?

3. What is the extended essay about?

4. What is coursework, and what rules must you follow when doing it?

5. What is the CAS project Wikipedia talks about, and what does it entail?

6. How does the IB compare to the iGCSE programme? (If you don't know what that is skip it :) )

7. What is the hardest overall subject to pass?

8. What tips would you give to a student who is doing IB?

I know that's a lot... :blum: Sorry!! And Thanks!!

hey what course are you planning to take for university? From there i can suggest what subjects you should take.

If you an A student for maths then you might as well do maths HL, its not so stressing if you have the natural talent in maths. From the way you talking about yourself I have a feeling you do have that talent :blum:

Most of the HL subjects require that you have past experience in the subject. E.g Physics definitely does. However that's not to say that you cant made if you haven't done physics before. The HL classes no matter what subject it is demands more work than SL. Like everyone has said you only require 3 HL and 3 SL. you are able to do 4 HL but i advice you to do only 3 as this will allow you to spend much more time concentrating on a specific subject. Doing 4 will be stress for no reason. Especially because you have to do other things such as CAS and EE and TOK which already adds more work, so 3 HL is reasonable and is the initial requirement.

Edited by fan

1. What's the scariest thing about IB?

It is 2 years long and it gets pretty stressful towards the end.

2. What is TOK?

One of the 3 core elements of the IB program. Theory of Knowledge, basically knowing how you know.

3. What is the extended essay about?

Another one of the 3 core elements. 4000 words essay you do on a research question on any subject you want.

4. What is coursework, and what rules must you follow when doing it?

We call those Internal Assessments (IA), they are courseworks you do throughout the two years for each subject that count towards the final grade. Each subject has the rules, you are still too far from having to worry about rules.

5. What is the CAS project Wikipedia talks about, and what does it entail?

Third core elemens. About 150 hours..50 Creativity, 50 Action, 50 Service. New things were added and changed to this CAS thing, so I'll let someone else explain this. :blum:

Here's a link about the new thing about CAS: 8 outcomes.

6. How does the IB compare to the iGCSE programme? (If you don't know what that is skip it )

Does not compare. I did IGCSE and I thought it would roughly be the same, but nope..very different. In the beginning it will seem similar..but you will realize that IGCSE was nothing!

7. What is the hardest overall subject to pass?

I would say Physics HL. I didn't do it..but my friends say that.

8. What tips would you give to a student who is doing IB?

Try not to procrastinate too much. I am saying 'try' because I know you will. :)

Your syllabi and past papers are your guide. Follow the syllabus point by point from the very first day, especially for sciences. Revise all the time and never let a chapter pass without making sure you are 100% good with it, otherwise it will pile up and it will be horrible. Try to finish your CAS hours in IB1 and your EE draft 1 over the summer. :)

Good luck.

Yes you do have time to change your mind. :yes:

IB is 'fun'..sort of, but it can also be very cruel, evil and inhumane towards the end. haha.

EE, well for example if I find something about animal's behavior interesting enough to write 4000 words on..then you can easily relate it to Biology, since there's a chapter (though option) about neuro and it includes behavior of living things.

However EE is at least 2 years away from you right now..don't even think about it. :lc:

Finish your IGCSE and enjoy your 'easy days' :)