General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

I have a small but pretty important question. I'm a sophomore in Pre-IB (in the United States) heading into my junior year, my first year of IB. Course selections need to be finalized soon and as it stands I have:

English HL

History HL

Math HL

Chemistry HL

Spanish SL

Biology SL

However, I found out I cannot take Psychology SL my senior year if I take Biology SL my junior year, or vice versa. Apparently, it would put me over the 45 credits. I am wondering if I should substitute Psychology SL in and not take Biology since I already have Chemistry and the rest of my schedule is stacked. What do you guys think?

It depends on where and what you want to study. For example, if you were applying to a British university, for you to do a certain course there is a set requirement, e.g. a 776 in your higher subjects with the 77 in higher Chemistry and Biology for medicine.

Also, they say you cannot take another SL subject because the IB diploma consists of 6 subjects + EE, CAS and TOK. If you desperately want to do both Biology and Psychology SL, you can do something called the IB Certificate in that subject; basically, it is not part of your diploma but you have taken the exam and all the IAs for it, and have a grade for it too.

Also, may I ask: which English are you considering? (Lang/Lit or Lit) Because from what I can see from your highers, you are taking pretty tough subjects. Maths HL is extremely difficult (many people drop to SL), people look at me like I'm crazy for taking Chemistry HL, History HL is content heavy and English Lit HL has a lot of reading. Don't forget, you need to get adequate amount of points in your higher level subjects for you to get your diploma! And you have CAS, EE and TOK to work on too throughout the two years, so don't kill yourself.

I'm honestly not sure which English HL I am taking. My school simply requires all IB students to take History HL and English HL regardless of what they select for their other classes. I ended up setting up my schedule today with my guidance counselor and decided on Psychology over Biology since I will need both in the medical field regardless. I'd rather space out my tough classes and take a Bio in college if necessary than try to take Bio now along with Math HL, Chem HL, Eng. HL, and Hist. HL. Still going to be a stacked year.

Just letting you know in advance, but Psychology SL is tougher than Biology SL. (To be honest, Biology SL is like GCSE-level/Grade 10-level biology.) But if you don't procrastinate too much and work hard, there shouldn't be a problem.

Just try out your subjects in the new semester (you should be able to shuffle your subjects if needed within the first semester, many people do so), and see how it goes.

Good luck!

If you can be more specific, what do you need to pass IB? Sorry for the ridiculous question, it's my first year and all of this is new to me.

You need at least 24 points on your IB exams as well as at least a D on both your EE and TOK essay and successful completion of CAS. In your HL subjects, you can't get a score lower than a 4 and in your SL subjects, you cannot get a 1. If by some reason you were to fail either your EE or your TOK essay (not both) you need at least 28 points to pass. Failing both your TOK essay and EE, not doing one of these, or not doing CAS is an automatic failing condition.

I have a small but pretty important question. I'm a sophomore in Pre-IB (in the United States) heading into my junior year, my first year of IB. Course selections need to be finalized soon and as it stands I have:

English HL

History HL

Math HL

Chemistry HL

Spanish SL

Biology SL

However, I found out I cannot take Psychology SL my senior year if I take Biology SL my junior year, or vice versa. Apparently, it would put me over the 45 credits. I am wondering if I should substitute Psychology SL in and not take Biology since I already have Chemistry and the rest of my schedule is stacked. What do you guys think?

You have a hell of a year there. I'm in Grade 11 (first year) of IB and my three HLs are also Chem, History, and English (which, by the way, are three of the hardest HLs...but at my school we don't get a choice)...and I've heard horrible things about HL math. Hahaha.

As for psychology/bio, I think it really should depend what you want to do after high school. Which one would most benefit the career path you hope to take?

Apparently both psychology/biology are both needed for medical school. At my school, Biology SL is much harder than Psychology SL. The same teacher is in control of Chemistry HL/SL and Biology HL/SL and he is extremely tough. Psychology SL on the other hand is one of the easiest IB courses at my school.

Apparently both psychology/biology are both needed for medical school. At my school, Biology SL is much harder than Psychology SL. The same teacher is in control of Chemistry HL/SL and Biology HL/SL and he is extremely tough. Psychology SL on the other hand is one of the easiest IB courses at my school.

I have never heard of Psychology being necessary for Med school and, anyways, isn't med school a graduate thing in USA? :P As far as I know, the best choice for Med school would be Chemistry HL + Biology HL, though Psychology SL as your Group 3 subject (or even HL, if you wish), wouldn't hurt, to be honest, as it's both useful and thoroughly enjoyable subject. :)

Gaby's right, psychology is not necessarily important for medical school in the US and medicine is a graduate course anyways--you wouldn't be going straight into medical school from high school. You have to do your undergrad first, and then apply to medical school. It sucks having two of your HLs be HL English and history (my school does that also, seems a lot of US schools require this unfortunately :( ). Just do well in your IB courses and don't really worry about going to medical school anyways at this point--save it for when you're in uni. If you want to take psychology go right ahead, same with biology or any of your classes for example. Just work hard so you can get into a good university :)

It would be impossible to take Bio HL along with Chem HL as I already have two required HLs and Math HL is the most important HL in the history of forever. Our school limits you to four HLs. As I said, taking Bio along with Chem is suicide, especially if you have Math HL as well. Basically my schedule is set. And I do know that certain medical schools require or prefere psychology, but either way, I will be taking some more Bio in college. I already had Bio in 9th.

It would be impossible to take Bio HL along with Chem HL as I already have two required HLs and Math HL is the most important HL in the history of forever. Our school limits you to four HLs. As I said, taking Bio along with Chem is suicide, especially if you have Math HL as well. Basically my schedule is set. And I do know that certain medical schools require or prefere psychology, but either way, I will be taking some more Bio in college. I already had Bio in 9th.

Lol math HL isn't the most important HL in the history of forever. Sure, you can take it if you need it for uni requirements (engineering, programs that will use a lot of math) or if you simply like it enough to take it as a HL, but it's certainly not important if you were doing something like IR or law. And many people take HL chem and bio, it's pretty much standard for medical school. It's hard, but they do it. But you seem to have your schedule set. Good luck to you! :)

You should take psychology because it sounds like you've never taken it before and would be a new experience, whereas you've already taken bio and it won't be as interesting and different. Just my opinion though

Your TZ is determined by where you are taking your IB exam(s). If you are in North and South America, you are TZ1, and if you are the rest of the world you are TZ2. This is done to prevent cheat in, because someone from TZ1 could call up someone from TZ2 to get hints to what the questions are if the papers were the same.

Occasionally, there are TZ0 papers which are universal. I'm not quite sure when these occur, however, but I heard they tend to happen for Group 1, 2 and 3 subjects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...