Are these books good?

FaisalH

Hey Guys,

Im starting IB next year and im taking english A SL and these are the books we will be covering

Nineteen Eighty Four

George Orwell

The Great Gatsby

F. Scott Fitzgerald

A Streetcar Named Desire Tenessee Williams Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays
Oscar Wilde

The VisitFriedrich Dürrenmatt

I was wondering are any of these books good> if you have taken them or read them? any opinions will be helpful

Thanks in advance :D

I read 1984, The Great Gatsby and Things Fall Apart this past year in English A HL.

It took me a while to get into both GG and 1984, but once I did the pages seemed to fly by. I loved both and the discussions we had in class were amazing and thought-provoking. I loved 1984 for the way it made me think and reconsider the world I know. The ending was rather sad but then again, a lot of the best books in the world have sad endings. I really liked GG because of its sad ending and the morals it taught me, and the imagery and language were beautiful. By the end of the book, I grew really attached to the characters and I was sad when it ended.

Things Fall Apart was ok. It was hard to get into and it has a lot of subplots that seem meaningless at first. The language isn't hard at all, unlike GG, but occasionally the simplicity of the language is a bit tedious. The characters aren't as connectable and there isn't a lot of character development throughout the book, but it gives the reader a unique perspective on colonisation in Africa. Caucasians and Europeans generally think of colonisation as a great triumph for man because they brought civilisation to the 'backwards' nations of Africa, but if you read the book, you see colonisation through the eyes of a Nigerian. The Nigerians in the novel experienced so many terrors and by the end of the book, you feel a genuine hatred towards the missionaries. It's a pretty good book and I can see why it's a classic, but of the books I read this past year, it definitely wasn't my favourite. My favourite would have to be a tie between Great Gatsby, 1984 and Hamlet. They were all amazing and I enjoyed reading them, hope you do as well! :)

Like the others already said, 1984 and The Great Gatsby are great books.

I liked other plays from Dürrenmatt better than The Visit, but The Visit is certainly a good one. It's sort of a combination between tragedy and comedy which creates a nice effect. The Visit is well-written and you'll have a lot to analyze and think about. It's rather meant to involve the audience in a debate than to entertain them so if you're expecting the latter, you'll be disappointed. Nevertheless, if you like dramaturgy, you'll like The Visit.

Thanks again guys but has anyone read the importance of being earnest?

The Importance of Being Earnest is an awesome play. (It's an Oscar Wilde play). :D

Your class's book choices are great! I really enjoyed reading 1984 (not as part of school, but just for fun) and I just loved Streetcar (we studied this for IB English).

I haven't read any of the other books, but I might start The Great Gatsby once the exams are over.

• 1 month later...

These are all fine choices. It would be interesting to know which you found most fun to read.

1984 is one vision of the future; the other (the more likely, and very much in evidence already) is Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. It is this one which provides Neil Postman's image of society "amusing itself to death"..

How will you judge Okonkwo, in Things Fall Apart, I wonder?

Have fun!