Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

Follow the patterns down the same element, e.g. if we take the numerators of element TWO for the rows that we already have, it would be 6,10,15. then you can find a pattern for those three numbers and use it to find the numerator of element TWO for the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th row, and so on... for whichever middle number you're trying to find, just find the pattern for the specific element it is on and then continue it until you've reached the middle number

also, read post #23 by Desy Glau, it's really good

I hope I explained this well enough, you're more than welcome to ask again if you don't understand :)

mmm are you sure it's correct? I've just tried to work out the general statement of En(r ) and I got a quite complicated formula in terms of n and r. it did require some effort to get to the general statement.

there are many ways to get to the GS but I myself used the graphical method (b/c I'm lazy...) but if you know how to find it using another method, go for it. I personally don't favour the graphical method (plotting a graph and finding the best fit curve) for a Math IA, though it's a use of technology :S

The numerator part is very obvious and easy, right? So I don't need to discuss it.

After you found the 6th and 7th rows, draw a new triangle if possible so you can see the patterns more easily.

Remember that 1 is the 1st term in each row, and in this term r=0.

When r=1 (the 2nd term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 2). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

When r=2 (the 3rd term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 3). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

When r=3 (the 4th term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 4). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

Do the same thing for when r=4 and when r=5.

You've got all the general statements in terms of n. Now your goal is to make them to be ONE general statement in terms of r and n.

Hint: The general statement is in quadratic form (denominator=an²+bn+c)

Tabulate r and the general statements. I am sure you will see some kind of pattern in the values of a, b and c. Find them with a similar method as before,

Get a table of a and r. Then you find the GS for a in terms of r.

Get a table of b and r. Then you find the GS for b in terms of r.

Get a table of c and r. Then you find the GS for c in terms of r.

So you've got a, b and c. Put them in the general statement involving n. You will get the GS for the denominator in terms of n and r.

This task is fairly easy, though it seems complicated in the beginning. Good luck to all of you!! :gluck:

so i want to ask you, can i have the numerator general statement plus the position of the denominator

• Like 1

mmm are you sure it's correct? I've just tried to work out the general statement of En(r ) and I got a quite complicated formula in terms of n and r. it did require some effort to get to the general statement.

there are many ways to get to the GS but I myself used the graphical method (b/c I'm lazy...) but if you know how to find it using another method, go for it. I personally don't favour the graphical method (plotting a graph and finding the best fit curve) for a Math IA, though it's a use of technology :S

The numerator part is very obvious and easy, right? So I don't need to discuss it.

After you found the 6th and 7th rows, draw a new triangle if possible so you can see the patterns more easily.

Remember that 1 is the 1st term in each row, and in this term r=0.

When r=1 (the 2nd term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 2). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

When r=2 (the 3rd term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 3). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

When r=3 (the 4th term from the left), get a table of the denominators and the n (n starts from 4). Then you find the GS for the denominator in terms of n.

Do the same thing for when r=4 and when r=5.

You've got all the general statements in terms of n. Now your goal is to make them to be ONE general statement in terms of r and n.

Hint: The general statement is in quadratic form (denominator=an²+bn+c)

Tabulate r and the general statements. I am sure you will see some kind of pattern in the values of a, b and c. Find them with a similar method as before,

Get a table of a and r. Then you find the GS for a in terms of r.

Get a table of b and r. Then you find the GS for b in terms of r.

Get a table of c and r. Then you find the GS for c in terms of r.

So you've got a, b and c. Put them in the general statement involving n. You will get the GS for the denominator in terms of n and r.

This task is fairly easy, though it seems complicated in the beginning. Good luck to all of you!! :gluck:

so i want to ask you, can i have the numerator general statement plus the position of the denominator

We won't give out the GSs... we can offer help and hint you towards the right direction. Anything other than that and it's against the IBO rules, I believe.

What do you mean 'position of the denominator'?

• Like 1

Hey , Im currently working on this project but I am finding it difficult to write out the numbers and the triangle on mircosoft word. Can somebody put a raw sample or show me how to make one of the triangle for me so I can just copy and paste it onto word?

Also thanks so much for your hints and tips. Helped me very much.

Edited by kimchyi

Hey , Im currently working on this project but I am finding it difficult to write out the numbers and the triangle on mircosoft word. Can somebody put a raw sample or show me how to make one of the triangle for me so I can just copy and paste it onto word?

Also thanks so much for your hints and tips. Helped me very much.

If you use the 'Tab' button between the numbers then you can probably manage it

Hi guys, quick question...

For the limitations/scopes, I don't really understand. For example: as has been said on this topics, "what if n=2.5?". How could we possibly test this seeing as we don't know the numerator and denominators for row 2.5 anyway?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

well, if you think about it carefully, 'n' rpresents the row number, therefore it has to be a natural number in order to exist. Otherwise you'd end up with half rows, it's like saying that there is a population of 1290.75 in a village.

And for testing: if you have the general formula you can just replace the variables with the values you want to test...

Think about negative values as well and compare 'n' to 'r', whether they can be the same, smaller, negative and so on.

Edited by Akayuki + Lucifel

I've read through all 20 pages of this forum, and I can't understand how to find the general statement for en®. Can someone help me, step by step or create a visual representation of what they are referring to to calculate?

As I understood it, En® basically represents the formula used to calculate each individual element. Ergo, En® is the general formula for the numerator and the general formula for the denominator combined. As it was said often enough nobody can give you a step-by-step guide, you're supposed to do it yourself.

Really check Desy's posts, they're worth gold!

Protip: for the numerator, think series' and sequences and large sum operators.

Yayy! Finally figured it out!! :D Thanks so much for the help everybody! Particularly Desy glau :P

Guys just think about it and follow the steps put forward - you'll see how easy it is once you've found the general statement!

Well - off to the validity of the general statement lulz.

hi, im having a hard time with the second general statement the En®. I dont understand what im suppose to be looking for. Also i though we were just suppose to look at the numerator but looking at these post i see stuff about the denominator, and now im SUPER confused. This is due tomorrow for me :help: ! Im really worried I dont understand.