Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

This was the most helpful post for me. Thank you very much, even though I had figured out these patterns, you really helped me "materialize" it. This is probably the best method of finding the general statement, as it provides plenty of opportunities to use technology. Again, thanks :)

glad to hear that :) you're welcome!!

@tata123 basically just do that ^

hey, so i was just wondering, what are some points to mention in the introduction to this IA? I'm a little stuck on what I should say. Also, did any of you use graphs to illustrate how you got the answer because i didnt use a single one but im not sure if i should just put one in there anyways?? any thoughts?

hey, so i was just wondering, what are some points to mention in the introduction to this IA? I'm a little stuck on what I should say. Also, did any of you use graphs to illustrate how you got the answer because i didnt use a single one but im not sure if i should just put one in there anyways?? any thoughts?

not much, just briefly introduce what your task is all about, then show the triangle.

well if you used a graphical method to find the general statements, meaning you use regression thing from your calculator, YES you DO need to include the graphs. but if you found the general statements purely by algebra then don't need to use graphs..

however, the first part of the task asks you to plot the numerator against n, right? so you have no choice, you MUST include at least one diagram in this portfolio, which is this one.

Get a table of a and r. Then you find the GS for a in terms of r.

Get a table of b and r. Then you find the GS for b in terms of r.

Get a table of c and r. Then you find the GS for c in terms of r.

So you've got a, b and c. Put them in the general statement involving n. You will get the GS for the denominator in terms of n and r.

Desy, I'm curious as to what you meant by the quote above.

Do you mean to literally find a GS for a/b/c in terms of r and find the zero, or am I missing something here?

sorry if it wasn't clear. I mean:

tabulate the values of a and r. then, try to find an expression of a in terms of r. for example: (note that this is a totally random example)

gif.latex?\begin{array}{r|lc} r & a \\ \

same thing for b and c.

do you get it?

once you are done, for example this is what you get: (again, note that this is a totally random example)

gif.latex?\\ a=r^2+1 \\ b=1-r \\ c=5r \\

I hope that was clear enough. any question just ask.

Thank you so much for all of your help! You've really helped me get through this IA. I just have one question about the GS. I understand that it is supposed to be a quadratic, but I don't quite understand the above method. Which values do you plug into a chart for a,b,and c?

BUT WHAT IS A or B or C .. and do i use my calculator to table this ? how do u do this. what do i put in my calculator.. PLEASE HELP :(

Thanks for clearing that up! I was just unsure what to plot the denominators against. So the graph is basically row number and denominator? and then I quad reg?

EDIT: Another question about the logistics of plotting row against denominator.. do I just keep decreasing the number of rows in the list I'm plotting since the starting row decreases each time and the number of denominators decreases, too? Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. $:

Edited by hehe_lalalala

BUT WHAT IS A or B or C .. and do i use my calculator to table this ? how do u do this. what do i put in my calculator.. PLEASE HELP :(

you have the values of a, b and c.

you are to find the formula of a, b and c in terms of r.

yeah you can use your calculator. do it separately: a and r, b and r, and c and r.

I actually found that a cubic regression works best for the numerator's relation with the row number...

nah it's quadratic. in IA Type 1, there is only one correct answer. unlike in IA Type 2, where there can be various answers and there's no "answer key"

Thanks for clearing that up! I was just unsure what to plot the denominators against. So the graph is basically row number and denominator? and then I quad reg?

yes

EDIT: Another question about the logistics of plotting row against denominator.. do I just keep decreasing the number of rows in the list I'm plotting since the starting row decreases each time and the number of denominators decreases, too? Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. $:

I don't get what you mean. for example the data is like this:

row: 2 3 4

denominator 1 3 7

you can put (2,1) first in the table and (3,3) second and (4,7) last, or in any kind of order you like because in the end when you put it in a graph, the computer will place the data in the correct order.

I don't know why/how a cubic works best for my numerator, it passes through all the points and my quadratic doesn't...so it's messing with the part where I have to find the GS for the denominator, because I've been following the method outline here, which uses a quadratic method. Should I redo everything with cubic regressions, or change my numerator GS to quadratic?

I used a graphing caluculator.

In "L1" for stat plot I inputted 1,2,3,4 and 5 for the rows.

In "L2" I inputted 0, 3, 6, 10 and 15 for the numerators.

When I did this, I then tested for linear, quadratic, cubic, and quartic regressions. Cubic passed through all the points whereas quadratic didn't, so I assumed that it was cubic.

However, later on when I was trying the denominator GS, I noticed that a quadratic actually ends up following the trend better than the cubic.

SO did I do the regression right? And if I did, should I include my findings later on about how quadratic might work better?