Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

Could someone please send me their IA pdf, because I am so confused :(

Konstantino, why would we do that? You have to work for your grade and asking for other people's work is simply taking a short cut, with no effort at all. And on IBS, everyone is here to guide you, not simply give you the answer. I'm sure if you go back to the very beginning of this thread, and thoroughly go over it, you will get a better idea on things! :)

I am having difficulty with the scope and limitations. I know that we can figure them out by finding the rows of negative numbers, fractions etc. but I don't know how we can graph them, as I tried to do this for fractions and i didn't end up being a parabola. Does this mean that it doesn't work. I really need help with the scope and limitations.

I think i have found the equation for the numerator and the denominator, but when i divide them by each other they cancel out and therefore i am left without a general statement. I have tried doing the En® thing but cannot work out how to get it in terms of n and r and then to generalise it, please help me because i cannot move on until i work it out, thankyou

Hey! I'm really new to this site, but I'm currently working on this assessment. I have completed all of my math- i have the equations and all. My biggest issue now is that I don't know how I should organize the paper?

I want to get a good mark, you know? I just can't think of a logical way to organize the paper without getting into terms I may not be completely familiar with (and i don't want to lose marks for saying something but it not being the "official terminology")

Help? :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

Sorry I am late to reply! I read your PM yesterday but have just got time to have a look at this task now.

Firstly, is this the new task (for 2013) or an old one for your practice?

Qn 1 says five rows but there are only 4 rows btw dry.gif I'm guessing the first row is 1 though.

Ok so as you notice, the numerators are 1, 3, 6, 10 and 15 on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th line respectively. I suggest the graphical method: plotting n (row number) against the numerator smile.gif then find the best fit curve. You can talk about the differences in each term too.

Good luck!

thanks, this help me a lot when finding the formulas. I just guessed them, by trial and error, so I really don't know how to explain the method in teh essay :S..any help??

Edited by harry_lev

#489 First of all you have to write an abstract of what are you going to address for your IA, and then start looking for a formula by Equation Finder or somewhere in the book and test it. Yet remember this is only the first step of how to work on it, and you definetily will need help from tutors

hey, im starting my math IA on this. ive got 2 weeks to finish this but lucky me ive nearly done....i was just wondering, how do i meet the technology criterias, any ideas,

i though i might plot my finding into a triangle table of my own making but im not up for using word in doing so as it is silly, are there any programs that i could use like autograph maths or something like that???

hey, im starting my math IA on this. ive got 2 weeks to finish this but lucky me ive nearly done....i was just wondering, how do i meet the technology criterias, any ideas,

i though i might plot my finding into a triangle table of my own making but im not up for using word in doing so as it is silly, are there any programs that i could use like autograph maths or something like that???

look all you have to do is plot the numerator row number by numerator- youll see its quadratic, then you plot the denominator, diagonal value by row number and you should get the denominator from there you should be able to formulate your general statements, and youll be making use of technology i finished mine and its around 14 pages. Other programs are too complicated word and excel work just fine.

look all you have to do is plot the numerator row number by numerator- youll see its quadratic, then you plot the denominator, diagonal value by row number and you should get the denominator from there you should be able to formulate your general statements, and youll be making use of technology i finished mine and its around 14 pages. Other programs are too complicated word and excel work just fine.

thx a lot...i think i was just over complicating issues..

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble with the denominator's GS. I found the pattern, drew a table of the n against the denominator for each 4 r diagonals. I found 4 quadratic equations each. I then found a GS. I've checked and checked. It seems correct. However, when I replace for E5(2), it does not give the correct answer. I would really appreciate help from someone who found the correct one! Through PM, since writing the equations here are forbidden..

Thank in advance :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I get you. It's just gonna be hard for me to explain it in words. But if I am getting you, then after the row with "15/11" would be

1 21/16 21/13 21/? 21/13 21/16 1 right?

What could be the middle number??

Yes, you're correct! the middle number would be 21/11 as in the previous 2 rows the difference of the third term was of 2. Therefore the difference between the third term between row 6 and row 5 should be of 3 as they are in sequence as discussed above!

I hope you get it! smile.gif

Are you sure the middle number is 21/11? cause if you consider the diagonal row starting from the 10/7 on the right then to 15/9 then to 21/11 it only increases by 2, whereas the rest increase in a sequence

Yeah, I get you. It's just gonna be hard for me to explain it in words. But if I am getting you, then after the row with "15/11" would be

1 21/16 21/13 21/? 21/13 21/16 1 right?

What could be the middle number??

Yes, you're correct! the middle number would be 21/11 as in the previous 2 rows the difference of the third term was of 2. Therefore the difference between the third term between row 6 and row 5 should be of 3 as they are in sequence as discussed above!

I hope you get it! smile.gif

Are you sure the middle number is 21/11? cause if you consider the diagonal row starting from the 10/7 on the right then to 15/9 then to 21/11 it only increases by 2, whereas the rest increase in a sequence

it's 21/12 for sure.

Hi, sorry, I know this was explained, but I'm stuck!

- I have found a GS for the numerators

- I have plotted En(1), En(2), En(3), En(4 and En(5) against n

- I now have five quadratic equations

- I have noticed a pattern in the five equations in terms of r: 'a' stays constant, 'b' decreases by -1 each time, and c is r^2

the general statement for all values of r is y=rx+2r

but where do we go from now? how do we put this general statement in terms of r AND n?

this is so frustrating...!