Hey guys, going through my option (discrete mathematics). I'm having trouble with the "harder" proofs, any help?

1) Show that if a and b are odd integers and b does not divide a, then there exists k and l such that

a = bk + l, where l is odd and | l | < b.

2) Prove that if u and v are integers with v > 0, then there exist unique integers s and t

such that u = sv + t, where 2v (less or equal) t < 3v.

Edited by Ezak

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello again!

Information given (or proven): e^x>(or equal) x+1, (1+1)(1+1/2)(1+1/3)...(1+1/n)=n+1

with this I need to prove that e^(1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n)>n

It feels like they want to connect the expression in the expenonent with the simplified expression given, but I can't seem to get anywhere. Any help or pointers in the right direction?

Hi i need help with this question

A motorboat wishes to travel NW towards a safe haven before an electrical storm arrives. In still water the boat can travel at 30km/hr. However, a strong current is flowing at 10km/hr from the NE.

a) In what direction must the boat head?
b) At what speed will the boat be traveling?

Edited by laurad3

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how to solve this equation for x:

(x^2-8x+40)/(√{(x^2-16x+80)(x^2+100)})=0.5

I would first solve all the individual Quadratic equations but x^2-8x+40 comes out as complex numbers and the one with a square root doesnt have whole number roots.

What does the question ask for exactly?

I'm trying to revise inequalities, and I've been getting quite confused over this question.

|x| < 2x+3

I know methods which will get me to the right answer - which is x > -1. But what I don't understand is why squaring both sides won't work to solve the inequality. i.e.

x^2 < 4x^2 + 12x + 9

(x+1)(x+3) > 0

Which gives x < -3 or x > - 1

I know that there should only be one answer when you graph. So I know getting two answers is wrong.

But the thing is, I square both sides of the inequality to solve something like this:

|x+2| < |2x+3|

(x+2)^2 < (2x+3)^2

x^2 + 4x + 4 < 4x^2 + 12x + 9

3x^2 + 8x + 5 > 0

3x^2 + 3x + 5x + 5 > 0

(3x + 5)(x+1) > 0

Therefore x < -5/3 or x > -1 : which are the answers desired.

and it works.

I think I may be confusing myself and mixing up/breaking rules regarding absolute value. But if anyone could shed any light onto why my process for the equation |x| < 2x+3 was wrong, that would be appreciated. :)

But what I don't understand is why squaring both sides won't work to solve the inequality.

I remember our math teacher told us something like "by squaring both sides you might lose some information" because of this:

a = 2 (for example, could be any number)

a2 = 4

√(a2) = √(4) = ±2

a ≠ ±2

So by squaring both sides the two results you get come from:

x2<(2x+3)2 AND x2<(-2x-3)2

(But for some reason when I try to solve the square roots of the two inequalities it doesn't work (I get x>-3 and x<-1)... But I hope you see the point I'm trying to make?)

Edited by maroctam
  • Like 1

In order to square an inequality you must first make sure that both the right hand side and left hand side is always positive, this is not true for 2x+3.

The most simple things would be to graph it and then look for where they intersect and from that deduce what part of the graph that fits with the inequality.

• Like 1

But what I don't understand is why squaring both sides won't work to solve the inequality.

I remember our math teacher told us something like "by squaring both sides you might lose some information" because of this:

a = 2 (for example, could be any number)

a2 = 4

√(a2) = √(4) = ±2

a ≠ ±2

So by squaring both sides the two results you get come from:

x2<(2x+3)2 AND x2<(-2x-3)2

(But for some reason when I try to solve the square roots of the two inequalities it doesn't work (I get x>-3 and x<-1)... But I hope you see the point I'm trying to make?)

In order to square an inequality you must first make sure that both the right hand side and left hand side is always positive, this is not true for 2x+3.

The most simple things would be to graph it and then look for where they intersect and from that deduce what part of the graph that fits with the inequality.

Yeah, I think I get why the squaring doesn't work. It's because 2x + 3 is not always positive, so squaring would lead to the inequality not necessarily being true. I think I will just avoid squaring to solve inequalities in the future, because I have other methods that work most of the time and are far less confusing!