Which IA do you hate the most?

Ashika

• 1 month later...

Definitely out of the ones I took so far, Anthropology, our teacher basically didn't tell us it was an IA, made us do all the work and fix it and everything and treated it like it was this HUGE assignment we would fail if we didn't do it, then a week before it was officially due, told us that it was an IA, and I guess it was a good idea cause none of us freaked out, cause we had already worked so hard on it.

I really think that those math IAs are so pointless

i find that the history IA was the best - because to me, it made the most sense: writing an essay on a topic that you choose, whereas math seemed to be just a really long, confusing, complicated assignment. bleh

& my group four was a bit... dreadful.

was it just my school, or are schools given an overall broad topic like 'junk food' and then invididual groups have to make a more detailed question out of it?

because this year, my school said that our topic was 'ecology', so we went to a mud beach and literally, almost all the groups had the same topics.. it was really frustrating. there was nothing to do at the assigned mud beach, and i only got cuts on my feet from shells and stuff :read:

I agree wish xsandralee, math IAs are pointless. But i heard something about the IAs in math going a way, not sure about it though maybe someone here knows more about it? won't change anything for us, but still intresting to see if the IBO gets it :read:

I have math HL so the IAs we do take a lot of time and are quit hard (seriously takes me atleast 2 hours to get the first question...)

and then after we finished our first IA the IBO said that they were going to come with new ones as there were to many old ones on the internet... and i was like ****!!! wrote 30 pages on a now worthless peace of math... so that one is the one i hate the most by far...

The History IA is utter hell. The aim of the IA is pretty simple but all the amount of sources we need to cite is mind numbing. It takes more time for me to make the footnotes than to do the actual IA itself.

^^ ditto!

I definitely think the History IA has got to be the worst. The footnoting really does do your head in!

Hmm... Very few people here dislike English IA, huh... I just find it time consuming to analyze and find points out of some books and explain your points in depth, with examples, and justify your examples, and how does that relate to the whole theme or motif or whatever topic you are doing. And you spend all the time finding good quotes online and in the book.

I take Geo. Though field studies take a while, I like it because you do graphs and actually analyze something you have collected in fields trips and online, and the stuff you learn are more practical.

I have to agree with math. I also agree with the word limit in Econ. Although econ seems alot more do able than math. The problem for me in math is that i find the question very unclear. when i understand the questions I find alot more easier although sometimes the portfolios are challenging. According to my math teacher the IB has changed the format of math porfolios recently to be more challenging.

Biology extended essays? They're kinda like G4 IAs... :P

According to my math teacher the IB has changed the format of math porfolios recently to be more challenging.

I didn't "get" my most recent and only IA in math until the day before it was due. I had it all worked out and did all the components except for the last part, which eluded me until the last minute. Sad, really. :ninja:

Edited by moneyfaery

• 1 year later...

Am I the only one who enjoys math IA's? Anyways, I think I hate the Norwegian A1 IA's the most.

I like the matrices one.. so the one that was not the modeling one. The modeling task was annoying! We were asked to make a function for a sine wave about tides or something. So we did it, but it turns out it was outdated, and we now have to do a new math modeling one. *sigh*

Why don't you like your language A1 IAs? I've only done the IOP [and I assume English A1 and Norwegian A1 have the same IAs], so I can't speak holistically, but it was kinda fun. haha

I agree, maths IAs are so stupid. Seems like they had to think really hard to come up with IAs for maths, that's why the assignments are so ridicolous. Who would like to find a function for the distance between the rings on a fishing rod?

I'm also quite scared of the IOC in languages A1. 20 minutes is such a short time...

The Computer Science IA (the program dossier). According to the CS Syllabus I had, average dossiers are from 60-100 pages. Of all the dossier samples our teacher showed us, they were mostly around 150-250 pages. Mine ended up being 472 pages. It wasn't the IA I hated the most, but it was definitely the one that frustrated me the most in terms of how much work I had to do. The one I actually hated the most, because of how boring it was, was definitely my Spanish A1 World Literature Assignment.

Edited by Redstar