What Grade Did You Get for Your EE?

Alix

With little guidance on Music EEs on ibsurvival and not taking music in my IB curriculum, I am happy to say I got an A :). My extended essay investigated Beethoven's evolution of formal complexity in the first movement of his seventh symphony. If anyone has any questions or would like a copy of my essay I will be happy to provide that for you. Cheers! :)

English A1, I adored the essay and stuck quite closely to the guidelines and I ended up getting my A, so I'm thrilled :D

What was your RQ/topic? I'm writing my EE in English A1 too, halfway done, woohoo!! Congratulations with your AMAZING score!

Message them if you want to request help/information from a specific user. Otherwise these threads are going to be filled with your conversations.

I got an A on my History EE (evaluating the causes behind the victory of the PQ in 1976 Quebec). A little surprised considering that I wrote a good chunk of the essay the day before the final draft was due. Didn't formally study History in IB, but if you follow the rubric closely (and I mean really closely), then it's really simple to gain easy marks. It also helps to write about something that interests you. PM me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them!

I got a C on my EE. My question was a bit misleading I suppose, it dealt with economics during the Great Depression time in comparison to the 1980's recession period, however, I tried as much as possible to keep it on a historical basis. Whatever, at least I can say I am done with it! It was such a gruesome period of time working on it! C's are typical, I heard... especially in the history subject area. It's hard to get an A if your subject is history. Music/Art are easier subject areas to write an EE and get an A, in.

Got moderated up from a C to an A. :D Quite happy with it, obviously.. I did it in English A1 and the week before it was being sent, I had to change my entire topic and write a new EE since my topic wasn't good enough. So the EE was written in 3 days with 0 research other than my awesome prior knowledge of Tolkien's writing. :P

• 4 weeks later...

After changing my topic a month before the deadline, having to ship chemical substances from Germany, failing at almost every experiment and writing the whole EE in 4 days I still got an A which, along with a 7 in philosophy, was the biggest surprise for me. :)

Hello everybody! I am currently trying to start working on my EE which is in Visual arts and I was wondering where can I find other graded EEs so that I could have a better idea of how it should look like (structure, format, style).

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you for you help.

Here are two EEs from the IB's "50 Excellent Extended Essays" that you can use. Obviously don't copy what they did, but look at how they organized their information, presented their topic, etc and try to model your own EE after that.

http://www.aislagos....sualArtsEE2.pdf

http://www.aislagos....sualArtsEE1.pdf

:)

Does it count as plagiarism is we use the same format and present our research in the ways the EE's did. I'm doing mine in Chemistry, and I wan't to get started writing up the Intro/Background Info/Method. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start experimental work so I will have to do it as soon as school starts : /

Hello everybody! I am currently trying to start working on my EE which is in Visual arts and I was wondering where can I find other graded EEs so that I could have a better idea of how it should look like (structure, format, style).

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you for you help.

Here are two EEs from the IB's "50 Excellent Extended Essays" that you can use. Obviously don't copy what they did, but look at how they organized their information, presented their topic, etc and try to model your own EE after that.

http://www.aislagos....sualArtsEE2.pdf

http://www.aislagos....sualArtsEE1.pdf

:)

Does it count as plagiarism is we use the same format and present our research in the ways the EE's did. I'm doing mine in Chemistry, and I wan't to get started writing up the Intro/Background Info/Method. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start experimental work so I will have to do it as soon as school starts : /

I don't think you'd be cited for plagiarism in the sense of copying words/phrases from somewhere and not crediting them, but perhaps try to give things your own titles and change the format a bit.

• 2 months later...
I picked my sources selectively. Basically, get real books and don't use wikipedia.

Good Luck.

Never use wikipedia. Whoever wants a decent grade, not be ridiculed at, and possible avoid failing should not use wikipedia.

Funny thing, got to read example essays for my EE in biology, among them my friend's EE who got an A and FULL MARKS, she quoted wikipedia...

@Nikoline: I don't think it is that significant of an error to use Wikipedia as a source for science EEs as the information that Wikipedia usually has on Physics, Biology and Chemistry are very accurate. In addition, the science EEs are all about the investigation and interpretation of the data obtained from the experiment so the sources doesn't really matter that much I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For my EE, I was fortunate enough to get an A. It seems as though A's and C's are common and there are a number of components and factors that can change your grade a bit (i.e. the examiner).

However, from experience, getting a high grade comes from good discipline. The EE is highly anticipated and gives you a full two years in most school's to complete it. My suggestion would be to not wait, and start getting ideas as early as possible.

Find a subject you want to analyze that you genuinely find interesting that's going on around your life, your relationships, and the world around you (trust me - it gives a much greater incentive to work).

Basically, there's three things I've learned.

Start it early, and really think about what you want to analyze. The research question is probably one of the most important things.

Polish it along the way.

Have a checklist with you, go over certain things with your advisor.

Good luck with your EE, and I hope for the best.

DK

• 3 months later...

I did my extended essay in English A1 and I was predicted as an A ^^

It was quite the experience though. My novel was extremely dry so reading it 2+ times was grueling and I chose to copy my quotations manually so when it came time to type them all up, my head was spinning! And I didn't even use half of them T.T. But writing the essay was fun! I actually wrote the essay in 1 day (after writing a thorough plan) and edited it a couple times.

Edited by Suntea