Why IB?

I chose to do IB because I thought it might be a challenge, and because I want to go to the UK, but A levels just didn't sound like "my thing". Also, I didn't believe what all the people said about IB being a lot of work... Silly me. Plus, I just found out that the IB recommends a certain amount of hours to the schools, and apparently my school has 80 less hours than what they recommend (16 FULL days of school). Now they said that we might get a week off (which would make it 22 days less than the IB recommends). This means that we have to get as much work done as possible, and in classes such as Computer Science, this translates into everybody being confused and getting awful grades....

I guess I've always liked challenges, and it's not THAT bad so far, I'm managing to maintain a decent GPA, but I know that I would have a 4.0 easily if I didn't have to do IB.

Basically, I had to do it because there was nothing else being offered at my school. My parents didn't want to ever send me back to the Australian school for my education (long story). But I think that I would've been a lot better off there, considering that the only place I'm going to for uni is Australia. Also, I've gotten some truly horrible things from this school... my HL Physics teacher is useless (doesn't teach us anything, just makes us read a book and expects us to understand everything, so I'm getting bad marks in it). Also, I've found out that I'm not very good at learning second languages, so my Spanish Ab Initio marks are shot to hell :) Basically, if I'd gone to the other school, then I wouldn't have had to put up with either of these problems. But hey, an international education would look good on my uni applications, so other than these problems, IB is great :P

• 2 weeks later...

Practically all the subjects offered for 11th and 12th graders at my school are IB courses, so I figured "Why not?" since it would be silly to take six IB courses anyway and not to the diploma. Plus all of my teachers were recommending me for it, saying it'd be challenging... Now that I think back on it, it might have been better to be intimidated by the IB horror stories of upperclassmen and just take the certificates.

Ah, well. I guess I took it mostly because there wasn't a lot of choice.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to quote Rick Ross to answer your question: "mo' better, mo' cheddar; knock your man off your clothesline sweater... BOSSS".

Essentially, you'll probably end up making more money, and it's actually one of the better (amongst the best) programs out there. You need to make some sacrifices and need perseverance. Oh, and about the clothesline sweater part? BOSS. :P

Edited by theDIDDLER

The same as most of you, had to choose between the IB and the Public University Sillabus which is sooooo basic and boring. Anyway, I always knew the IB diploma will be good for nothing in Mexico, so I just did it, so I didn´t lose my time at high school. Also, all my friends are in IB.

Well, I think I wanted to study with people who actually want to be in school. It worked out quite well, there are a few slackers, but most people do really put an effort into their work. To be honest, I was completely ignorant of what IB was before I started. I guess I just chose what was considered the most difficult. However, I don't regret choosing IB at all. The rest of the students at my school (doing the national programme) don't seem to want to study or learn at all.

IB because I was offered to take the course. I have no idea what IB is about until I was offered for the course before I can pursue in medic. With diploma in IB, I can apply to study oversea and that is what I want. It does not mean that it is not good to study locally, but I just want to widen my experience. Looking forward for NZ.

I am in the IB because it is the lesser choosen road, and you learn 50% more in IB compared to the national program , and since we all are emos to some extent this is my torture. A more reasonable reason for doing IB is that I learn to become more academic. One day I shall harvest the apples of knowledge, and pwon my fellow students which took the national program.

I'm a November 2010 candidate, so i'm only just starting the IB in around two weeks, but i've spent a long time thinking about why I should do it over the alternative (the HSC). I like a range of subjects and want to do a range and the IB allows me to do that whereas the HSC wouldn't, and the IB doesn't have scaling to the extent of the HSC.

But i'm going to be in the first group of IB students at my school ever, so I guess it's a risk, but I like challenges.

• 4 weeks later...

The public school system in my district really sucks (only 7% of students who enroll end up going to college).

I wanted to go to college and my best chance at that was to join some sort of accelerated program. I ended up doing IB because I was in a pre-ib program at my middle school that feeds into the IB program that I am in now. Its a plus that I don't have to pay to be in the IB program. I heard that at other IB schools they have to pay thousands?! :P

I did the IB program because I never gave myself anything less. If it wasn't challenging, it wasn't worth my time. I needed obstacles to feel good about myself, thus I put myself through subjects such as Physics and Calculus. Taking easier classes was just not enough for me. It sounds stupid because it almost seems that I like putting myself under constant stress and struggle, but it just feels great after accomplishing something that others won't even dare to think about trying.

i live in queensland (aust.) and we have our own little system called the OP. don't ask me what it stands for since google can do that for you and frankly i don't know either.

but anyway, OP system pretty much grades you term by term in yr12 and it is rigged. you get scaled up and down and your only chance at success is if your marks are high enough to not get dragged down by the rest of the grade. my school in particular can probably be described as a school for rich lazy kids, in otherwords if i was to do OP in my school i would either get a crappy OP that wouldn't let me do anything i want~

so my options at the end of yr10 were:

1. do ib and stay with my friends whom i all love very much

2. change schools and do OP at another school

guess which one i chose *facepalm.

i live in queensland (aust.) and we have our own little system called the OP. don't ask me what it stands for since google can do that for you and frankly i don't know either.

but anyway, OP system pretty much grades you term by term in yr12 and it is rigged. you get scaled up and down and your only chance at success is if your marks are high enough to not get dragged down by the rest of the grade. my school in particular can probably be described as a school for rich lazy kids, in otherwords if i was to do OP in my school i would either get a crappy OP that wouldn't let me do anything i want~

so my options at the end of yr10 were:

1. do ib and stay with my friends whom i all love very much

2. change schools and do OP at another school

guess which one i chose *facepalm.

The first? by the way which school do you go to?