Why IB?

Over the years I've realised that there are a lot of different reasons why someone would choose to do the IB, and all reasons are actually right reasons (like, your parents wanted you to or the school forced you). So I'm curious as to why you guys chose to do IB instead of some other qualification.

As for me, there are several reasons actually. If dI didn't do IB I'd be doing a normal high school diploma syllabus which is based on IB anyway (without the pressure of IB exams and IA obviously) but that seemed a bit boring.

Also, when I was finishing my IGCSE exams, one of my friends who was finishing off her IB exams at the same time, said to me, "Don't do IB." So, what did I do? I went and chose to do IB. I think partly that was to see what the fuss was all about. :angry:

And the thing is, my school is an international school so everyone moved around a lot so we all needed an international qualification to make sure our qualifcation get recognised wherever we go next. So really in my school, it was sort of a given fact that once you came into Year 12 (second last year of high school) you'd do IB, either as a diploma candidate or as a certificate candidate. The only people who didn't do some sort of IB exam at my school were either those whose English was too poor to cope with the programme (and they'd have to have pretty bad English) or have every intention of going back to their home countries at some point and switch to the national system there.

So, that's me. Over to you. :blink:

It was either IB or the AP system. I wanted to go to the UK, or at least stay in Europe so I chose to do the IB. My grade was the first year to ever do the IB, and I have to admit, it was pretty tough. That being said, it's all over now and I am glad I put up with the work load and some of the not-so-great teachers we had through the two years.

I didn't really have a choice - the IB Diploma is the only course my school offers for 11th and 12th grade. Although I could've done certificates or the high school diploma, I knew the IB Diploma would give me more options - and I'm sure that I am capable of the workload and stress involved :blink:

I had the choice between IB and VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education). VCE is great, but I choose to do IB because we it allowed me to have a broad range of subjects, whereas in VCE I would have done 2 maths subjects, 2 science subjects, English Literature and Japanese because they get marked up. IB allowed me to do subjects like spanish (it's only offered for IB), and geography. Also IB scores in Australia translate well into the national university entrance ranking system (ENTER score).

I had a choice between IB and A-levels. As soon as I heard what IB was all about, I fell in love with it! because then I thought it's the perfectionists perfect education to chose! and so I went in there with the expectation of getting a 45! and as the first year went on, I got the illusion of that 45 out of my head for good! instead I thought I'd settle for a nice 41/40 :lol: but that didn't happen either.

So if people ask me whether or not to do IB now, I don't go "YES DO IT YES!" anymore. I look at what they want to achieve and what they have achieved.. if you want to grow mentally (and not jsut get stuffed with information) and become a well rounded person (rather than just keep on studying 2/3 subjects fully) then do IB! it might not give you the results you want (grades wise) but trust me when I say you'll become a much more interesting person :dash:

this is not always the case of course :blink: if you were a tool. yo'd end up a tool with or without IB! :angry:

Guest Reef10

Living here in the U.S. it's sad to say that our public school system isn't very strong, and if you were to find a truly good private school, it would likely require you to pay through the @** for it. IB is a sort of escape from public school while not having to pay thousands of dollars a year, it's a good program and has really interesting people in it so so I am glad i chose to do it. My older brother had done IB and he did quite well in it and told me the workload was exagertated, as long as you had time managemant. Also, having an IB diploma or saying you are in the IB program when applying to colleges gives you a leg up against other kids.

Living here in the U.S. it's sad to say that our public school system isn't very strong, and if you were to find a truly good private school, it would likely require you to pay through the @** for it. IB is a sort of escape from public school while not having to pay thousands of dollars a year, it's a good program and has really interesting people in it so so I am glad i chose to do it. My older brother had done IB and he did quite well in it and told me the workload was exagertated, as long as you had time managemant. Also, having an IB diploma or saying you are in the IB program when applying to colleges gives you a leg up against other kids.

yea well works out like that in the US, us peeeps in the old world have to pay a leg and an arm for IB :blink:

I was actually completely against doing IB, was on my merry way to doing VCE like all my friends. Then about 4 major things happened to me all at the same time, and I kind of had this epiphany that I needed to make some changes in my life. So I switched to IB and never looked back. :D Best decision I ever made.

Guest DyingInIBhell

I was mislead into joining IB. In eighth grade, we recieved a bunch of false information. But I'm sticking it out. This is my final year. EE's are hell though.

Well as for me, I just love the programme. Comparing myself before starting the IB and now.. I'm soo different. New horizons have been opened for me, I look at things from another perspective than before.. The mixture of the subjects and the toughness through the EE and IAs all pay off in the end.

Our school has the IB system only, and compared to other systems, it's the best to choose. I never regret the decision I made and hope that it results in some fruitful and happy ending. :lol:

Edited by BIO-AQUA

Guest AmeHoshi

I was honestly tricked into thinking it a worthwhile program. Perhaps it is good, or great, at different schools, but this wasn't the case at mine.

The first thing the Coordinator said was: "Think of it as this: AP is a pick and choose program. You get to pick whatever you want, take whatever want, etc. In IB, you take everything."

So, I chose the program. I wanted to learn everything. I cannot express my disappointment at seeing that, at my school, no teacher was extensively trained to teach the IB courses offered at my school (which isn't much outside of the... well, basics). I was told that IB was supposed to be in-depth. I can tell anybody that IB Biology at my school was a bunch of ****. It was theI did not learn anything. :/ I have some hope for my senior year and the teachers teaching the different classes, but I'm not expecting anything great. I'm only sticking to it because I don't believe in stopping halfway.