Why IB?

• 1 month later...

I chose IB so that I wouldn't have to be in classes in which the people are stupid enough to not be able to follow the teachers instructions. Gr.9 NON-IB Geography class was HELL! The teacher would say, "Class! Look at your test review sheet. Let's go over it. #1..." and a student would shout out, "Wait! Wait! Where are we?? Where's #1?" and I would be pulling my hair out trying not to scream at that person! That's why I chose IB. Also, because I wanted to get challenged in a way that I wasn't in normal Academic classes.

Edited by ffaholic

I chose IB so that I wouldn't have to be in classes in which the people are stupid enough to not be able to follow the teachers instructions. Gr.9 NON-IB Geography class was HELL! The teacher would say, "Class! Look at your test review sheet. Let's go over it. #1..." and a student would shout out, "Wait! Wait! Where are we?? Where's #1?" and I would be pulling my hair out trying not to scream at that person! That's why I chose IB. Also, because I wanted to get challenged in a way that I wasn't in normal Academic classes.

Yeah, usually the core classes are really bad in a school that offers IB, because everybody who wants to learn is enrolled in the IB program. The English classes, and courses that are mandatory every year are especially horrible. My friend had a grade 12 core english class of around 15, and for a whole week he was the only one who even showed up.

As for your geography analogy, sadly, that sounds like the first five minutes of every one of my IB classes, hahaha.

Haha, we were all asked this question too in the very beginning. Almost everyone replied "because of my parents". I took this program in Denmark because it would challenge me, and I can choose the subjects that I want to study. I also liked the fact that the program was in English because I had not spoken Danish for eight years, and I think that IB would be nothing compared to a normal Danish Gymnasium. Seriously, we had this Danish course and I could not understand a lot of the words. I tried so hard to understand by writing every word down from the lecture, but I was still clueless as ever and I felt so left out in the class.

What is most important to me though... is that I am in Denmark! My home country which I had not been in for so many years. I wanted to be in touch with my culture again because it was completely dissolved in my life. It was never important to speak our original language within the family and the traditions seemed to be abandoned... I want to hold on to those things because they are really special to me in my memories and I want to be able to identify with people.

I wanted .. something more challenging than the HS curriculum. Sure i could of taken 3 Ap classes, and easily earn college credits that way, but AP is just a US term for collegeboard, IB is internationally recognized. I'm happy i joined though, it really builds teamwork and hopefully will prepare me for my ultimate goal of becoming a pediatrician.

Guest godlvian

Well for one i wanted the challenge of doing a harder program,besides that i realy think IB is the way of the future and most other popular qualifications will either become similar to the IB or IB will rule the planet.... :S :innocent:

Well, I did not know IB existed (hapy me) but I presented an exam to this crazy school just to practice how to fill an exam and oh surprise! I passed and I was offered a place in an "Excellency Program" and this crazy guy who directed the programme started talking to us about what IB was and how easy it was (right...) and how lucky we were to be offered the chance to be part of it and blah, blah,blah (he even told us we would still have social lives!!!!!) and I did not know where to study so I believed him an got into the programme. So basically I was completely brain-washed.

Well, I did not know IB existed (hapy me) but I presented an exam to this crazy school just to practice how to fill an exam and oh surprise! I passed and I was offered a place in an "Excellency Program" and this crazy guy who directed the programme started talking to us about what IB was and how easy it was (right...) and how lucky we were to be offered the chance to be part of it and blah, blah,blah (he even told us we would still have social lives!!!!!) and I did not know where to study so I believed him an got into the programme. So basically I was completely brain-washed.

Yea my IB co-coordinator is somewhat like that but I joined this program because I wanted to join not because someone brainwashed me :rofl::lol:

• 3 months later...

hm...its pretty funny of the reason i ended up in IB.

I actually choose to study Nature science program, since in Sweden after the ninth grade u can choose whatever u want to study with.

So I choose nature science, but i actually dont want to study it. My parents said its good since well everyone choose it!

And there are lots of schools that offer this program, I can a ctually choose other program such as social science, art, music etc.

For some reason i choose NS in my current school... and the point is i have never been on any visit to this school before which I actually should have done.

So after I choose this school, I started to attend my first day there after 2 months of summer break!

IB is a rare program that not every school offer (and for free) in Stockholm, only four schools offers it and i actually ended up in one of the them...which have the best IB teachers. (im lucky in this but not in other things ^^)

I met up with my NS class! All of them was males...99% only 3 girls including me.

And it feelt wrong, not because its a male class but i feel sick just by thinking about the chemestry lessons, physics lessons. It my worst subject u know and im going to study with it for 3 years!!!

When i think this will be reason for my early death...I got an idea...

I will switch to IB! I heard my sis say IB is an international program and u have to speak Eng and u choose your own subjects which mean I dont need to study chemestry!!!

All i know about the Ib was its an international program. Never know there was IAs, EE, TOK and CAS u must do...I was u know the naive little girl :D

After 10 min staying with that scary class i swiched to IB!! ^o^ ~ yay!

When I told my parents about my sudden change, they wanted to faint hahaha

During my Pre-IB year I learned about what the IB program and about the exam.

Sometimes i regret the choice of IB since I do a lot more work than what other people does in the normal Swedish program like reading 6 novels in 5 months while the NV only reads 1.

I dont have much free time (u know what i mean ^^)

In another hand Im happy about this choice since i learned 100 times more than my other friends does.

Sure i mean, u dont get much social life or any love life but i think for the hard work i do now its worth.

When my teacher ask me about the reason i choose Ib, they cant stop to laugh after hearing my story :D

Thats the end of my stoy for the reason of IB! :D

It was either IB or AP at my school and most did AP (our IB class is small, like 24 students). SOMEONE told me that IB was the most challenging program I could take and, obviously, this made me want to take it because I was falling asleep in regular classes and still getting A's...but honestly I did it for the challenge and then realized that the only challenge is the work load. I'm still trying to decide if it was a good or bad choice...

• 3 months later...

as my title suggests, why do you want the Ib diploma? i understand that not all of you guys wants to attend a college in a different country. but again, what is the reason that motivates you to get that diploma no matter what? i mean, doesn't Ap weights as much as the diploma? the only disadvantage about Ap is that it is not approved by other countries besides the one you live in. i know some of the IB students that join the program only to show off, that they are above everyone. personally, i joined the program because it sounds challenging and it might teaches me more than just the Ap and honors stuff. the TOK for example, i absolutely love it!! the oral presentation too! very challenging and fun. i love to debate ( just talk actually, as you tell). but the extended essay...not so passionate about it. what about you? why did you choose to join this program? is it because of the classes or something else? thanks

[Threads merged by HMSChocolate]

• 2 weeks later...

I chose the IB partly because my sister wanted me to study something in English, and partly because in my country you either have to study natural science or social science at upper secondary school and I wanted to do a litte of both. Also, the reputation of the Swedish school system is not that good (inflation in grades), my biology teacher said that "the years in the Swedish school are the only years in life when you don't have to take any responsiblity". :P